Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ACCEPTED TO U of MIAMI!!!!!!! 2008  (Read 21015 times)

hurley325

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ACCEPTED TO U of MIAMI!!!!!!! 2008
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2008, 11:05:27 PM »
One more post for the board... I got in at UM!  It is one of my top choices but still debating whether to attend since every other school that has accepted me so far has offered money (including one with full tuition).  Also, they wrote my name wrong in my acceptance letter.  Does anybody knows how generous is UM with $$?  I know it takes them about a month to send you an offer but I don't know if they got some sort of cutoff requirement when giving out scholarship or grants. 

According to their admissions message board, scholarships are generally given to those with 3.2+/160+. 

SouVitor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2008, 06:00:26 PM »
One more post for the board... I got in at UM!  It is one of my top choices but still debating whether to attend since every other school that has accepted me so far has offered money (including one with full tuition).  Also, they wrote my name wrong in my acceptance letter.  Does anybody knows how generous is UM with $$?  I know it takes them about a month to send you an offer but I don't know if they got some sort of cutoff requirement when giving out scholarship or grants. 

According to their admissions message board, scholarships are generally given to those with 3.2+/160+. 

Oh well, I'll just hope that my soft factors are good for them.  Still excited I got the option to go to UM.

BigOleBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2008, 04:46:19 PM »
Accepted!! Whoo hoo! Show me the money!!

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
FIU passing Miami??
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2008, 09:22:28 PM »
What are your thoughts on FIU passing Miami in the near future?  Over the past couple years the numbers required to get into FIU have increased dramatically (with identical LSAT median as Stetson!) With a tuition under $10k/year, it is a fraction of UMiami's cost so their applicant pool is enormous.  Their law center is grand-spanking new and they have the state's resources.  Is FIU's passing of Miami inevitable?  Will/Can Miami do what is necessary to stay on top in South Florida?  If I am going to pay over $100k for a Miami degree I want to be assured it will not be obsolete.  What do you guys think???

hurley325

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: FIU passing Miami??
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »
What are your thoughts on FIU passing Miami in the near future?  Over the past couple years the numbers required to get into FIU have increased dramatically (with identical LSAT median as Stetson!) With a tuition under $10k/year, it is a fraction of UMiami's cost so their applicant pool is enormous.  Their law center is grand-spanking new and they have the state's resources.  Is FIU's passing of Miami inevitable?  Will/Can Miami do what is necessary to stay on top in South Florida?  If I am going to pay over $100k for a Miami degree I want to be assured it will not be obsolete.  What do you guys think???

I wouldn't worry about it.  For one thing, one of the main components of the USNWR rankings is their reputation scores, which accounts for 40% of the overall score.  FIU's scores are a 1.6 and a 1.5 (3.1 total).  To give you some reference, there are just 4 T4 schools with a lower total score and the second lowest total score for another T3 schools is a 3.7.

While FIU can raise their numbers, the most important thing postgrad is the reputation of your school and how easy it is to get a job.  So while FIU has many things going for it and should attract some better students in the future, it will take a while for those students to get out into the legal profession to help improve the schools reputation.  So FIU may pass Miami eventually, but I believe that it is highly unlikely to happen before you get go to apply for your first job after law school, and after that your school ranking really doesn't matter that much.

Just as a point of reference, UMiami's reputation scores are 2.8 and 3.0 (5.8 total).  That puts Miami in the top 1/3 of all schools (I believe it is around 60th) and it is tied with FSU for #2 in the state.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2008, 03:26:44 PM »
Anyone else get a "personalized" e-mail from a current student today? Just wondering if this is a common thing...

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2008, 07:38:04 PM »
Nope didn't get a personalized email, but got invited to some Alumni thing in LA, which I'm not going to since i live in the Bay Area and it's not really worth me flying/driving down all the way there...

What did the email say? Convince you to attend? =)

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »
Anyone else get a "personalized" e-mail from a current student today? Just wondering if this is a common thing...

I don't know if it's common, but I also received one!

SouVitor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2008, 12:19:42 PM »
No email here.  Just got two emails from admissions, one introducing the career service office and another making a correction to the email she just sent.  And now that I think about it, almost every form of communication I've gotten from them needs a follow up correction... not liking that.  Still it is one of my top choices.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2008, 08:05:52 PM »

I don't know if it's common, but I also received one!

I didn't receive one yet, and I was admitted back in December.  I did receive on from UF though.