Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ACCEPTED TO U of MIAMI!!!!!!! 2008  (Read 20739 times)

StressCase

• View Profile
Re: ACCEPTED TO U of MIAMI!!!!!!! 2008
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2008, 03:50:50 PM »
I got really good money from them. 24k/year. I have never been to Flordia though. Maybe planning a trip out to Miami to visit. I don't know much about the school. Anyone want to give me some reasons to go here/not go here?
In: Miami, Baylor, U of A, San Diego, Santa Clara, Tulane, American, McGeorge, Lewis and Clark, University of Houston, CU Boulder, DAVIS!!!
WL:Fordham, Hastings
Out: BC, George Mason, UCLA, GW

GPA 3.5
LSAT 163

atsumner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »
Accepted today! It's my first. They sent me one of those post cards that said I had several things missing from my application, but when I called them to double-check, they said I had been admitted. Quite a surprise. Wasn't even thinking about attending, since I've never been to Miami, but it's now a fairly strong possibility. Good luck to everyone...

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2008, 05:32:16 PM »
Hey... Just found this discussion.  I was accepted very early in the game and I will most likely attend UMiami.

StressCase: If you have never been to Coral Gables/Miami I strongly recommend you make a thorough visit. It is an extremely unique area that is NOT for everyone.

On another note, is anyone looking to move within the next month or two into a nice apartment 5 minutes from campus?  I need a roomate and would like to speak to anyone potentially interested in moving in with a motivated law student.

Congrats to those accepted and I hope to see you all at Law Day. 

-Justin

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2008, 10:43:01 PM »
Hey... Just found this discussion.  I was accepted very early in the game and I will most likely attend UMiami.

StressCase: If you have never been to Coral Gables/Miami I strongly recommend you make a thorough visit. It is an extremely unique area that is NOT for everyone.

-Justin

What other area is close enough to the law school that you would recommend for us out-of-towners? Thank!

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2008, 11:29:38 PM »
Hey Che.  I can offer you my humble opinion since I was raised near UM and have been looking in that market for quite some time.  For the first year of law school you will want to live as close to the school as possible.  Condo/apt complexes like Valencia, Cloisters, Gable's Court, Miller 67 and University Inn are EXTREMELY CLOSE.  There are more beautiful areas that UM students live like Brickell, South Beach, etc.  HOWEVER, you must realize that with traffic in the area, 15 minutes on Mapquest can EASILY be 30-45 minutes during bad traffic times. I looked at an apt to rent about 12-15 minutes away and the two 1L's that currently live there expressed their regret for not living virtually across the street from campus for the first year.  It is different for the 2nd and 3rd year when you will possibly be working downtown and need less time on campus.

I'm sure a few people on this message board will disagree with my opinion but, from what I have gathered, closer is better.

Again, if you are looking to move w/i the next month or two, I will be renting from Valencia South Miami or Gables Court and would like a 1L for a roomate.  Please let me know.

-Justin

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2008, 09:24:49 AM »
I echo Justin's sentiments - I grew up in Coral Gables and I would advise you all to stay away from Brickell/South Beach.  First of all, the rents are astronomical.  Second of all, you'll be very out of touch with campus.  Go there on the weekends.  I would suggest Coral Gables and South Miami as good places - you could try Kendall (East Kendall, as close to US-1 as possible) and Pinecrest could also work.  Coconut Grove can be kind of funky so unless you thoroughly investigate the area and assure yourself that you aren't near any rough parts I would stay away from that too. 

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2008, 11:26:53 AM »
I will be going down next month probably to visit; would any of you hometowners mind if I emailed you with some specific questions about locations, prices, etc? Thanks.

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2008, 11:29:38 AM »
No problem - I'd be glad to help!

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2008, 11:52:49 AM »
ditto Che

SouVitor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2008, 09:56:06 PM »
One more post for the board... I got in at UM!  It is one of my top choices but still debating whether to attend since every other school that has accepted me so far has offered money (including one with full tuition).  Also, they wrote my name wrong in my acceptance letter.  Does anybody knows how generous is UM with $$?  I know it takes them about a month to send you an offer but I don't know if they got some sort of cutoff requirement when giving out scholarship or grants.