Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ACCEPTED TO U of MIAMI!!!!!!! 2008  (Read 21008 times)

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ACCEPTED TO U of MIAMI!!!!!!! 2008
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 04:29:27 PM »
On my Miami application I included the various papers I had written throughout undergrad, including a published paper some scientific papers and those from my major classes. 

Also, I was notified today that I have earned a $23,000/year scholarship, as long as I keep a B average.
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 04:33:48 PM »
On my Miami application I included the various papers I had written throughout undergrad, including a published paper some scientific papers and those from my major classes. 

Also, I was notified today that I have earned a $23,000/year scholarship, as long as I keep a B average.

That's awesome! What is your LSAT and GPA, if you don't mind me asking (You can pm it to me if you want.)

I wonder how many people earn a "B" average in each section.

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 05:49:11 PM »

That's awesome! What is your LSAT and GPA, if you don't mind me asking (You can pm it to me if you want.)

"For last spring (2006) the 50% cut off for first year students was 2.953. Approximately 85-90% retain their scholarship after their first-year. Merit Scholarships are renewable for the second and third year of law school provided the student maintains a "B" average (3.000) or better.

The Curve: For first year classes only, faculty must give a combined total of A and B+ grades to at least 20% of the class and a combined total of B, B+, and A grades to at least 45% of the class.  Faculty are free to give more A, B+, and B grades.

Faculty who teach first year classes are required to give C- or below grades to at least 5% of the class,  which would just be 5 in a class of 100 or 3 in class of 50.   The reason for the latter rule is to ensure that students who are in serious academic difficulty are forced to confront the problem early in their law school career, rather than “squeak by” in school and then find themselves unable to pass the bar and unprepared for practice."
http://messageboard.chatuniversity.com/umiamilaw/default.asp?action=9&fid=1113&read=39338

That's also what UM says, almost verbatim, in the Vault Law School Buzz 2007 book.  I PMed you my stats.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 06:13:55 PM »

"For last spring (2006) the 50% cut off for first year students was 2.953. Approximately 85-90% retain their scholarship after their first-year. Merit Scholarships are renewable for the second and third year of law school provided the student maintains a "B" average (3.000) or better.

The Curve: For first year classes only, faculty must give a combined total of A and B+ grades to at least 20% of the class and a combined total of B, B+, and A grades to at least 45% of the class.  Faculty are free to give more A, B+, and B grades.

Faculty who teach first year classes are required to give C- or below grades to at least 5% of the class,  which would just be 5 in a class of 100 or 3 in class of 50.   The reason for the latter rule is to ensure that students who are in serious academic difficulty are forced to confront the problem early in their law school career, rather than “squeak by” in school and then find themselves unable to pass the bar and unprepared for practice."
http://messageboard.chatuniversity.com/umiamilaw/default.asp?action=9&fid=1113&read=39338

That's also what UM says, almost verbatim, in the Vault Law School Buzz 2007 book.  I PMed you my stats.

Well, that's not too bad at all!

Thank you very much for this info. 

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 07:25:43 PM »
Congrats Billy! That's excellent. I'm still waiting to go complete from UM, but hopefully we will be classmates next fall! Might I be able to have you pm me your stats too? I'm really curious to see whether or not I have a good chance at some form of scholarships. Thanks!

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 07:32:29 PM »
Congrats to all of you- I hope to be seeing some of you next year!
UMiami c/o 2010

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 05:54:09 PM »
For those who have been accepted so far: When did you submit your app, did they notify you when you went complete, how long after complete did you get a decision? Thanks in advance, I'm eagerly awaiting my decision!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 06:06:43 PM »
For those who have been accepted so far: When did you submit your app, did they notify you when you went complete, how long after complete did you get a decision? Thanks in advance, I'm eagerly awaiting my decision!

I sent my application via the LSAC 10/22/07, I received a postcard that I was complete on 10/26/07.

My acceptance letter was dated 10/31/07, and I received it 11/5/07.

I'm hoping that such a quick acceptance means that I'll be offered scholarship money.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 06:54:08 PM »
So scholarship offers come later from Miami? Maybe January?

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 07:12:46 PM »
So scholarship offers come later from Miami? Maybe January?

I got mine two weeks after I was accepted.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=BMahogany