Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ACCEPTED TO U of MIAMI!!!!!!! 2008  (Read 20895 times)

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ACCEPTED TO U of MIAMI!!!!!!! 2008
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2008, 02:56:50 PM »
The Dean said yesterday that the median lsat changed from 158 to 157, which is why the rankings dropped.  Also, the employment rate after graduation dropped from 93% to 90% causinng a drop as well.  He was critical of the formula used by US news.

How was Accepted Student Day? I don't live in FL so I wasn't able to attend on the short notice I had. Definitely would love to hear anyone's experiences there yesterday.

etermerian (sp?)  went - ask him!

Isn't etmerian a she?

Lol yes she is.
2L and counting...

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2008, 05:37:33 PM »
i attended.  i wrote this in a separate thread but i will repeat.  the ASW was overwhelmingly comforting for those who are unsure of just how great UMiami is.  there are SO many ways to get involved to stand out in the job hunt: there is a club for every law interest, i.e. sports and entertainment law society.  they exhibited their career services center- every student is assigned to an attorney to ensure their employment.  the campus is beautiful and weather is immaculate.  it seemed like they only hire faculty out of Yale because that's where every faculty member I ran into attended.  i bet a LARGE percentage of people who attended ASW will attend UMiami because they showed how great the program is.  the school seemed to get better and better as the day went on.

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2008, 11:19:29 AM »
Hi everyone!
Sorry this is late....and for the record, yes I am a she hahaha!!!

Anyway, so here's my take on ASD.  On the whole I was very pleased - I definitely echo Justin's sentiments on all the various programs available to you.  They do a lot of clinical programs and other types of pro bono work that I thought were really cool, and can be great on resumes.  The panel of professors, I thought, was impressive and inspiring.  All the professors come with really, really great credentials.  I asked one at the break what made her come to Miami given that she had such great credentials (i.e. Yale Law, which is common among the professors).  Her response was that for what she was interested in - a lot of pro bono stuff, immigration, international law - Miami was the place where it was all happening and that's what made her come.  The professors seemed to be really accessible.  Every student I spoke to said that they had had no problems getting internships and jobs (if they were 3L's) and that they all got their "dream job" or at the very least one they really liked.  It didn't seem like anyone settled for a crappy job because they had no choice.  Quite a few were going to prominent firms outside of Florida or the DOJ in D.C.

The facilities were well-kept, I thought, but yes they are somewhat outdated.  To me the beauty of U.M.'s campus is the gorgeous tropical foliage everywhere and the rockwork/limestone.  But that's a personal preference.  The fact that there is a Starbucks on campus rocks.  Again personal preference.  The law library was well-staffed and the tour by a staff member was informative.  I had a great guide for the actual law school tour as well, but as I looked around I saw some guides that I may not have been AS pleased with.

The professor panel was definitely a highlight for me.  They kept harping on the "international" aspect of Miami, which is very exciting and definitely a huge plus for the school.  They all inspired me to take their classes, and they all had a good personality/sense of humor which I appreciated.

Two criticisms: the continental breakfast was lackluster, and I thought the Dean's answer to the inevitable question regarding the rankings could have been better.  He got a little defensive.  I think the other professors and students handled it better: the rankings are immaterial if you are happy at your school, you're doing well, and you're getting the jobs you want.

On the whole I'm ecstatic to be going to Miami, as everyone knows.  I think it's an awesome place and I think I'll do really well there.  The kids who participated on Friday were all well-accomplished and had a lot of insight to offer.  Then again, these are obviously the students who go the extra mile.  I'm sure there are others that float through their 3 years and get nothing out of it, but you'll find that anywhere.  It was obvious to me that there is a LOT to be gotten out of the Miami experience if you so choose.

Hope that helps!  I'd be happy to elaborate if you're curious about anything in particular!

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2008, 12:05:19 PM »
Annndd...thinking of withdrawing. No Miami Scholar's $$$ for me and a UF acceptance.

Just_Chexin

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2008, 12:06:02 PM »
Thanks so much for the first hand accounts Etmerian and Justin! You definitely added some excitement back in for me during this overwhelming time in this process!  :)

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2008, 01:40:34 PM »
Thanks so much for the first hand accounts Etmerian and Justin! You definitely added some excitement back in for me during this overwhelming time in this process!  :)

Same here.  I can't believe that I have to make a decision in a week or two...

livinginkorea

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2008, 01:42:57 PM »
I'm putting down my deposit at Miami! I'm definitely excited.

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »
Good luck to everyone still making decisions!  If I can help out with info on UM or the city of Miami, let me know!

untamedecho

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2008, 02:50:44 PM »
I went to the ASD and I was very happy with what I saw. I definitely think Miami is the right school for me. Everyone seemed really welcoming and interested in what they were doing. I even asked the current students how they maintained their grades and they explained that there were many opportunities that provided support for their students. They also added, however, that you didn't have to be top 5-10% to land your ideal job. They stated that many of their classmates had secured internships/jobs that were exactly what they were looking for even though their rank was not as high as they would have wanted.

I'm excited! I'm sending my seat deposit today.  ;D