Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask Totally Fun Chicago Students Your Questions  (Read 79647 times)

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Totally Fun Chicago 1Ls Your Questions
« Reply #700 on: August 09, 2008, 02:42:58 PM »
MP, I don't think blouses are less casual; in fact, I think they often look dressier. But I may be biased because buttondown shirts NEVER fit me.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #701 on: August 09, 2008, 04:07:28 PM »
Ah good point on the fashion tips, so calling all ladies (ClaireL, where are you?):

Button up dress shirts v. nice blouses with suits?  Are both okay, or are button ups preferred?  I did the button up shirts for interviews last year and they drove me insane when the shirts started becoming untucked (it's hard to retuck inconspicuously), but I wonder if nice blouses (the kind I wear for work at the firm this summer with my suit) are too casual for interviews.  Thoughts?

i wore button up shirts but i don't think it matters as long as the blouse looks dressy. most of the interviewers i met with were men, so i think they were probably more picky with male fashions than with women.

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 09, 2008, 04:41:26 PM »
Thanks SB and Claire!  I HATE wearing button ups- they always come untucked eventually. I've been dressing business formal everyday anyway, so I figured blouses should be fine, but wanted to double check.

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 09, 2008, 06:33:30 PM »
Should I pay attention to this sartorial stuff as a 1L?  Or is there no need to worry about it until 2L OCI?  I realize that I'm delaying the inevitable, but, even after a year of dressing myself for work, this discussion feels like information overload.

Well you'll probably be doing interviews as a 1L so it's good to keep in mind, but don't stress about it.  There are a few major Don'ts that I've heard of (like don't wear black for men, and please don't wear white socks with your suit) and I'm sure the guys here can chime in with more, but it's really not anything to think about until December or so of 1L if you end up interviewing.  But I think MTG and Buffett have mentioned there are good sales for men's suits and accessories going on in August (at Nordstrom?  Macys?) so maybe you can take advantage of that

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 10, 2008, 01:48:36 AM »
Nordstrom Rack in Chicago is pretty good for affordable suits. But either at, you'll probably only need one suit 1L year UNLESS your 1L summer is at a place that is formal attire everyday OR you're a member of a student group that requires a suit at events.

I never owned a (good) suit before law school, but I did end buying 2 during the year. I also have about 10 dress shirts and 2 pairs of dress shoes. But my situation may be different because I did have to wear suits for one student organization and my summer job if fairly formal.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: August 10, 2008, 01:57:32 AM »
Also, I wouldn't be THAT worried about the discussion going on here. Just remember to be relatively conservative during interviews. This varies by person, of course (for example, while I wear white shirts occasionally, it doesn't go quite as well with my skin tone). Other than that basic "be conservative" recommendation, basic commom sense rules apply.

Although I imagine its harder for women here.

PS: Excuse my poor grammar/spelling here.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 10, 2008, 03:01:38 AM »

Something I have wondered about is the acceptability of two-tone dress shirts, e.g., shirts that have a white collar and white cuffs but a blue "body" elsewhere. Depending on the colors and patterns of these shirts, they seem to straddle the conservative line rather ambiguously.

As any other rising 2Ls here can confirm, I know and care very little about fashion....but I really dislike those shirts on most people.  I think they're tough to pull off.  As far as I know, people who know what they're talking about seem to agree that most people should avoid them.

Well when you see me rocking one of these shirts as a 1L, come up and politely whisper, "Your shirt looks horrible." I might be devastated into action.

Lawyers are not bankers and, in general, cannot get away with either look -- unless they have suspenders and a cigar.

Note to self: buy suspenders and cigars ASAP.
University of Chicago '11

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #707 on: August 10, 2008, 12:51:23 PM »
Should I pay attention to this sartorial stuff as a 1L?  Or is there no need to worry about it until 2L OCI?  I realize that I'm delaying the inevitable, but, even after a year of dressing myself for work, this discussion feels like information overload.

Well you'll probably be doing interviews as a 1L so it's good to keep in mind, but don't stress about it.  There are a few major Don'ts that I've heard of (like don't wear black for men, and please don't wear white socks with your suit) and I'm sure the guys here can chime in with more, but it's really not anything to think about until December or so of 1L if you end up interviewing.  But I think MTG and Buffett have mentioned there are good sales for men's suits and accessories going on in August (at Nordstrom?  Macys?) so maybe you can take advantage of that

I am by no means a font of sartorial wisdom.  But I did do pretty well at OCI, so I assume that my suits were not a hindrance.  Here is what I wore at a typical interview:

Suit:  I bought two Hart Schaffner Marx suits at Marshall Field's downtown (which no longer exists); one is charcoal, the other is navy.  I think the suits were originally $700, but I got them on sale for I think $400/each and then got a $60 gift card with them.  So my suits cost roughly $370 before tailoring.

Shirts:  I buy almost all my dress shirt's at Filene's Basement.  There are two locations in Chicago: North Michigan and State Street.  Individual visits are hit & miss depending on what they have in stock, but I've gotten a lot of good dress shirts there.  The most I paid for an OCI dress shirt was $40.  Probably my most-worn shirt was a white shirt with french cuffs.

Ties:  I got all my ties at Filene's as well.  The ties tend to be less hit & miss, and I found a lot of Brooks Brothers ties there for $15-20.  I hate to admit it--because I dislike the guy and think most things associated with him are cheesy... but in the interest of full disclosure--Filene's has a lot of Donald Trump brand ties that are surprisingly nice for about $15.  For the most conservative dark suit/white shirt/red tie look, he has some really nice ties.  So go ahead, make fun of the brand, and feel ashamed that DT's name is on the tag, but at least pick up the tie and feel the construction and how nice of a knot it makes.

Socks:  Your socks should match your suit pants.  Navy socks with navy suits, and dark socks with dark suits.  If you go to Nordstrom, you'll pay $10 a pair for socks.  Just buy them at Filene's Basement for $6/3-pack.  Absolutely no reason to spend more than that on socks (and I say this as someone who owns a $15 pair of Nordstrom's socks).

Shoes:  This is the one place I splurged.  I previously had some cheap Kenneth Cole something or others that I spent about $120 on.  Within a few days of my 1L summer job, they were painful to wear.  So I went to the Nordstrom men's sale in July and spent the big bucks on some Allen Edmonds.  They were 30% off marked down from $300 to $200.  I bought a pair of black shoes to go with my dark suit and a pair of brown ones to go with my navy suit.  I have been extremely happy with this purchase.

Some other thoughts:  While I bought my suits at Marshall Field's, both Filene's Basement and Nordstrom Rack can have some good deals on those types of items.  I know Filene's even carries Oxxford suits from time to time.  While I didn't find much at Nordstrom Rack when I was shopping for OCI, I've since been by a couple of times and gotten some really good deals on shirts and ties, including a Burberry dress shirt with french cuffs for $50 that would be perfect for interviews.

Anyway, with all of the above, you're only going to get yourself compared sartorially to MTG.  But by experience, I can say it is enough to get you through OCI without spending a shitton of money.

Hazard

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: August 12, 2008, 02:47:22 PM »
Time for less about the Olympics and more for how you are all going to be ruined at OCI when you accidentally sneeze during the middle of their questions.
I'm posting constructively.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #709 on: August 13, 2008, 08:20:30 AM »
I am by no means a font of sartorial wisdom. 

::begs to differ::

It was just a pretense at humility.  I know that in reality, women want me, and men want to be me.