Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask Totally Fun Chicago Students Your Questions  (Read 79652 times)

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ask Totally Fun Chicago 1Ls Your Questions
« Reply #660 on: August 04, 2008, 08:08:55 PM »
MorningYell,
I got about 9 callbacks out of about 30 interviews, maybe 6 in california and 3 in chicago. once i got my first northern california offer, i cancelled my chicago and southern california ones; eventually i had three bay area offers i really liked to choose from.

i'm not bottom 10%, but my transcript was not super incredible (and incidentally, everyone i know got OCI jobs, regardless of class standing). however, i think plenty of firms have no clue about chicago grades....i had three interviewers look at my resume and be like "OOOOOH VERY IMPRESSIVE" (i think they thought it was on a lsat curve or something?). i can PM you with my grades and where i fell in the class, but i just think it's best to play it safe if your grades aren't the strongest part of your application. if you tend to be a relatively social person and can make small talk for 20 minutes (with the basic "why did you want to go to chicago"/"why do you want to work at blah blah law firm") and have some basic stock questions to ask the interviewer about their firm, i don't think doing 30 interviews is very stressful.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #661 on: August 04, 2008, 08:41:28 PM »
Stupid Internet, lost my response.

Hazard, what are these events you're talking about? I've heard of dinners once you have an offer, but is this something else?

I'm doing 20 interviews in Chicago and 1 interview pre-OCI in another market. If I happen to get a quick offer from the pre-OCI firm then I'll drop my interviews down to ~5 and call it a day. I really couldn't imagine doing more than 20 or so interviews.
U of C 2010

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 04, 2008, 08:48:31 PM »
I'm bidding on about 30-35 firms, but I probably won't interview with that many. I'm just less clear about location than many others are.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

MorningYellofHorror

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 04, 2008, 10:15:28 PM »
claire,

No, that's all right.  Like I said, I'm trying not to get my hopes up.  And even if I do wind up at Chicago, I won't be where you are for another three years.  I was just curious as to why you sent out so many resumes, but it sounds like it had more to do with making sure you had the options you wanted rather than making sure you landed a job.  Thanks for the answer.   

I did have another question, however.  Have any of you looked into the DOJ Honor's Program or the Chicago/Illinois prosecutors' offices?

Hazard

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 04, 2008, 10:58:35 PM »

Hazard, what are these events you're talking about? I've heard of dinners once you have an offer, but is this something else?

I'm doing 20 interviews in Chicago and 1 interview pre-OCI in another market. If I happen to get a quick offer from the pre-OCI firm then I'll drop my interviews down to ~5 and call it a day. I really couldn't imagine doing more than 20 or so interviews.

Even before callbacks, there are dinners and meet-and-greets. Usually, alcohol is involved. If you want an offer, make it a moderate amount.
I'm posting constructively.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #665 on: August 04, 2008, 11:20:32 PM »
claire,

No, that's all right.  Like I said, I'm trying not to get my hopes up.  And even if I do wind up at Chicago, I won't be where you are for another three years.  I was just curious as to why you sent out so many resumes, but it sounds like it had more to do with making sure you had the options you wanted rather than making sure you landed a job.  Thanks for the answer.   

I did have another question, however.  Have any of you looked into the DOJ Honor's Program or the Chicago/Illinois prosecutors' offices?

you sign up for interviews online so you don't send out resumes, which is why it's so easy to sign up for a ton interviews...you rank employers and have 50 bids, so you basically can check as many as 50 firms, though you won't get all of them since it's a lottery. then the oci website sends out your resume to all the firms you meet with, and all the interviews are held on campus....so it's easier than it sounds to do three or even four a day if necessary.

also, chicago doesn't prescreen which means employers can't set up a grade requirement or reject you based on your class standing. convenient if you think your winning personality overcomes somewhat lacking grades!

MorningYellofHorror

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 05, 2008, 04:20:21 AM »
claire,

Thanks.  There are few things I hate more than writing resumes.  That's good news.

Monkey,

I'm being careful because of my dreadfully thin, er, resume.

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 05, 2008, 06:13:30 AM »

Buffett, you already know this, but for others, I'm doing about the same.  Bidding on 28 firms in Chicago/NYC, and doing an NYC pre-OCI callback (which was a nice result from 1L interviews actually).  I would follow a similar format where if I got early offers, I'd probably drop a few firms here and there.  I'm pretty happy with the list I came up with - they're all great firms, but the problem really is that they're all great firms, and it'll be competitive.  Keeping fingers crossed :)

On a side note, it rained and stormed like crazy today, with the end result being me slipping in a huge puddle at the bottom of the subway stairs, and landing sideways in said puddle. Ouch, bruises. And serious need for drycleaning.  I hate rain.

Hazard

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 05, 2008, 08:43:55 AM »

Buffett, you already know this, but for others, I'm doing about the same.  Bidding on 28 firms in Chicago/NYC, and doing an NYC pre-OCI callback (which was a nice result from 1L interviews actually).  I would follow a similar format where if I got early offers, I'd probably drop a few firms here and there.  I'm pretty happy with the list I came up with - they're all great firms, but the problem really is that they're all great firms, and it'll be competitive.  Keeping fingers crossed :)

On a side note, it rained and stormed like crazy today, with the end result being me slipping in a huge puddle at the bottom of the subway stairs, and landing sideways in said puddle. Ouch, bruises. And serious need for drycleaning.  I hate rain.

Be prepared to answer "Why are you looking at both Chicago and NYC?" You're not going to be allowed to split cities between these two, so firms are going to want to know if you'll accept their offer before spending a full day interviewing you. I feel like my inability to answer that question, coupled with firms' insecurity about being able to win me over to their city, really hurt hurt my chances at getting offers at certain firms. It may be different for a Chicago/NYC split than a Dallas/Houston split.

I would recommend making your firm decision based on the city you want to live in. There are exceptions - you get Wachtell even though you wanted to work in Chicago - but for the most part you should be in similar positions in each city. What would make you go to NYC? What would make you go to Chicago? I'd really sit down and try to figure this out before injuring your chances at some great firms because they think your waffling on a city makes you too much of a risk.
I'm posting constructively.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #669 on: August 05, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »

Be prepared to answer "Why are you looking at both Chicago and NYC?" You're not going to be allowed to split cities between these two, so firms are going to want to know if you'll accept their offer before spending a full day interviewing you. I feel like my inability to answer that question, coupled with firms' insecurity about being able to win me over to their city, really hurt hurt my chances at getting offers at certain firms. It may be different for a Chicago/NYC split than a Dallas/Houston split.

I would recommend making your firm decision based on the city you want to live in. There are exceptions - you get Wachtell even though you wanted to work in Chicago - but for the most part you should be in similar positions in each city. What would make you go to NYC? What would make you go to Chicago? I'd really sit down and try to figure this out before injuring your chances at some great firms because they think your waffling on a city makes you too much of a risk.

This is true.  My roommate who was interviewing in Minneapolis and Chicago didn't get any Chicago callbacks until he started lying to the firms and saying he was only interviewing in Chicago.