Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask Totally Fun Chicago Students Your Questions  (Read 80357 times)

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Totally Fun Chicago 1Ls Your Questions
« Reply #410 on: March 03, 2008, 07:42:48 PM »
Sure, anything to further avoid studying.

You can PM it to me.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

ulpian246

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 03, 2008, 07:55:30 PM »
I had to commute from Ann Arbor to court in Detroit all of last sumer, and I would prefer to never have to drive a city rush hour commute again if I can help it.  Plus, it sounds like there is a pretty nice community of 1ls in Regents (although, I have yet to visit there.)

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #412 on: March 03, 2008, 08:53:06 PM »
I had to commute from Ann Arbor to court in Detroit all of last sumer, and I would prefer to never have to drive a city rush hour commute again if I can help it.  Plus, it sounds like there is a pretty nice community of 1ls in Regents (although, I have yet to visit there.)

I agree with this completely.  Most of the 1Ls move up north after their first year, so I guess I'm in the minority though.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #413 on: March 03, 2008, 09:03:40 PM »
Would any current UC students be interested in reading my hold essay? It's on judicial compensation.

you can PM it to me too. i'm with pre; studying for finals is for suckahhhhhhhs.

Hazard

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 04, 2008, 01:03:51 AM »
What kind of extracurriculars did you do in undergrad?

as someone answered in your other thread, law school admission is primarily a numbers game compared to med school. that being said, i think most ECs are regarded pretty equally unless you've done something super impressive; i'm trying to think of an impressive example, but i don't think teach for america or even peace corps (though i think the latter is slightly more impressive?) exactly qualifies.

i think i had decent ECs: i did a lot of law-related internships (which practically everyone does, so i doubt that helped), and then i did a lot of community musical theatre. i think it looked good that i had a very strong GPA but still was well-rounded enough to do other completely unrelated things, but my numbers were still in range for the school so it probably didn't make a huge difference in my acceptance.

Yeah. I don't say this bitterly or anything, but for the sake of predictions, my peace corps service plus a 173 haven't gotten me past the hold pile. I'm inclined to think that EC's aren't too huge, and especially at chicago, they'd rather have a big GPA.
I think they're bigger on LSAT than GPA (see US News numbers).
I'm posting constructively.

Hazard

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 04, 2008, 02:02:59 AM »
Would any current UC students be interested in reading my hold essay? It's on judicial compensation.
PM it to me.
I'm posting constructively.

Bathing Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 04, 2008, 04:07:17 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions about finding a roommate for Regents or when I should have an application in there by?  Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to hit the ASW since I'm going to be out of town during April.  Also, is everybody pretty well in agreement that New Grad sucks and Regents is where it's at?  I'd like to actually be social.

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 04, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
For someone who is interested in Big Law and work on the East Coast what does CU have to offer over NYU or CLS?

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 04, 2008, 04:50:37 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions about finding a roommate for Regents or when I should have an application in there by?  Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to hit the ASW since I'm going to be out of town during April.

ASW really is a good place to meet a possible future roommate, but the admissions office usually sets up a message board where you can also find a roommate. But I live alone, so hopefully someone else here can chime in on the roommates thing.

I submitted an application during ASW, and didn't see any problems in terms of a waiting list or anything. But Regents managements sucks. Just be forewarned. Your leasing agent may driving you crazy with their ineptitude.

Also, is everybody pretty well in agreement that New Grad sucks and Regents is where it's at?  I'd like to actually be social.

In addition to the pro-Regents posts earlier in this thread*, New Grad also sucks because its a dorm and no one should like staying in a dorm.

That being said, I know a lot of people that do live in New Grad, some of whom don't mind the fact they stayed there during their first year (for a combination of reasons: convenience, cost, social reasons, etc.). But none of them plan on staying in New Grad, whereas some people actually are staying in Regents next year.

* = I feel bad saying "pro-Regents" since I'm not actually a big fan of Regents. It was a good place for my 1L year, but the only way I stay here next year would be due to inertia.

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 04, 2008, 04:53:52 PM »
For someone who is interested in Big Law and work on the East Coast what does CU have to offer over NYU or CLS?

When you say "East Coast" do you mean the Northeast? The Mid-Atlantic? The South?

Also, I assume you're asking only based on job prospects? Because I'd say there is more to differentiate between UChicago, CLS, and NYU in areas other than job prospects, which really are strong across the board (even if there are minute differences that I bet the 2Ls and 3Ls on here can answer better).

I just can't imagine NYC BigLaw job prospects being a deciding factor between these schools.