Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask Totally Fun Chicago Students Your Questions  (Read 78964 times)

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Totally Fun Chicago 1Ls Your Questions
« Reply #400 on: February 28, 2008, 05:55:29 PM »
I didn't really have any ECs, at least not as they're usually described. I had a research job during most of my undergrad, as well as a relatively unique small-business type thing, but thats it. Nothing really notable in terms of ECs. And nothing law-related at all. And I was straight out of undergrad, so I couldn't even point to interesting work experience, like a lot of people in our class definitely can.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 28, 2008, 06:12:47 PM »
What kind of extracurriculars did you do in undergrad?

as someone answered in your other thread, law school admission is primarily a numbers game compared to med school. that being said, i think most ECs are regarded pretty equally unless you've done something super impressive; i'm trying to think of an impressive example, but i don't think teach for america or even peace corps (though i think the latter is slightly more impressive?) exactly qualifies.

i think i had decent ECs: i did a lot of law-related internships (which practically everyone does, so i doubt that helped), and then i did a lot of community musical theatre. i think it looked good that i had a very strong GPA but still was well-rounded enough to do other completely unrelated things, but my numbers were still in range for the school so it probably didn't make a huge difference in my acceptance.

Yeah. I don't say this bitterly or anything, but for the sake of predictions, my peace corps service plus a 173 haven't gotten me past the hold pile. I'm inclined to think that EC's aren't too huge, and especially at chicago, they'd rather have a big GPA.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #402 on: February 28, 2008, 07:12:50 PM »
Clubs. What are clubs? Never been in one.
U of C 2010

MonsteroftheMidway

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 02, 2008, 10:59:42 AM »
Bored bump.

Any thoughts on how many people get off Hold?

I don't have any numbers for you, but I got in off hold last year. My numbers were just *slightly* higher than yours. I wrote the optional essay they asked for when they sent me the hold letter, and I was invited in for an interview sometime in March. I think was finally accepted in late March or early April.
My impression is that, once you are put on hold, they just want to be convinced that you would enjoy the school and, just as importantly, come if you are accepted. Dean Perry was very open in my interview about what was missing from my application and why I wasn't accepted the first round. It had nothing to do with numbers, but I had left some pretty big holes in my academic record without an explanation. I explained them away, and that was pretty much it. Writing the extra essay and coming into Chicago for the interview take enough effort to convince them that you are serious about the school.
Good luck!

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 02, 2008, 08:34:48 PM »
Bored bump.

Any thoughts on how many people get off Hold?

I don't have any numbers for you, but I got in off hold last year. My numbers were just *slightly* higher than yours. I wrote the optional essay they asked for when they sent me the hold letter, and I was invited in for an interview sometime in March. I think was finally accepted in late March or early April.
My impression is that, once you are put on hold, they just want to be convinced that you would enjoy the school and, just as importantly, come if you are accepted. Dean Perry was very open in my interview about what was missing from my application and why I wasn't accepted the first round. It had nothing to do with numbers, but I had left some pretty big holes in my academic record without an explanation. I explained them away, and that was pretty much it. Writing the extra essay and coming into Chicago for the interview take enough effort to convince them that you are serious about the school.
Good luck!

Thanks for the info. My impression is that you have to be invited for an interview. Is this still the case? I will interview with them any time, any place.

quincym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #405 on: March 03, 2008, 10:33:16 AM »
Those of us that were deferred from early decision had the option of interviewing. I did, and I know a few others did too.

I did some research (so I'd know what to expect from the interview) and didn't get much information. It looks like it isn't very common to interview and it doesn't seem like ED deferrals were automatically offered an interview in the past.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #406 on: March 03, 2008, 01:04:03 PM »
Those of us that were deferred from early decision had the option of interviewing. I did, and I know a few others did too.

I did some research (so I'd know what to expect from the interview) and didn't get much information. It looks like it isn't very common to interview and it doesn't seem like ED deferrals were automatically offered an interview in the past.

This is correct.  My roommate is one of the rare ones who got offered an interview after being deferred ED.

ulpian246

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 03, 2008, 01:19:46 PM »
Could anyone comment on how hard or easy it is for 1Ls to find roommates for Regents?  Most of the people I know from my undergrad that are moving to Chicago are living up near Streeterville or Wrigleyville, and they laughed at me when I asked if they would like to live down on the South Side.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #408 on: March 03, 2008, 01:45:26 PM »
Could anyone comment on how hard or easy it is for 1Ls to find roommates for Regents?  Most of the people I know from my undergrad that are moving to Chicago are living up near Streeterville or Wrigleyville, and they laughed at me when I asked if they would like to live down on the South Side.

The school should get an admitted students board set up (if they don't have one already), both on the school website and on facebook.  Most people arrange for roommates there and also from people they meet at Admitted Students Weekend.

doos13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #409 on: March 03, 2008, 05:59:36 PM »
Would any current UC students be interested in reading my hold essay? It's on judicial compensation.