Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask Totally Fun Chicago Students Your Questions  (Read 80149 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Totally Fun Chicago Students Your Questions
« Reply #770 on: December 26, 2008, 03:29:16 PM »
Yeah, take my unhappiness with salt.  I live in New Grad, where people get on my nerves sometimes, and I'm not involved in totally awesome activities like Edmund Burke or the LS Musical, or even JLSA -- which are conducive to making friends.  (Speaking of which, annonymous, could you please forward me whenever you're all meeting this quarter?)

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #771 on: December 26, 2008, 03:44:27 PM »
I haven't read this entire thread, so I apologize if these questions were already answered.

How is the quality of life at UChicago?
Do you ever regret going there? Do you wish you had gone to another school?
What other schools did you consider, and why did you ultimately choose U of C?

Thank you!

1. i'm with annonymous on this. live in regents or grad student housing and it's easy to make friends who are on a similar studying/non-studying schedule. some people like to study a lot. some people (ahem *3Ls*) don't and go up north, hang out at jimmy's/the pub or find other activities. there's also plenty of student organizations to get involved with including edmund burke, the law school musical, lsa, etc.

2. chicago has given me amazing career opportunities. like FGLA, i could have gotten half tuition at virginia but i was pretty much sold at ASW and pretty confident that chicago would give me a leg-up in the california job market. obviously, i have no clue if virginia would have been the same, but i doubt my prospects could have been better coming from any other school (even considering my non-stellar grades).

3. i did get waitlisted at stanford and campaigned to get in there for a while because i've lived in california all my life and wanted to stay here. so if i had gotten in there, i probably would have gone. but no regrets; i think asw gives people a really accurate snapshot of the school and i could see myself enjoying my three years, even if i had to adjust to different weather patterns.

deadfun

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 04, 2009, 04:56:25 PM »
i think CLS red feathers sabotaged this thread to scare off potential chicago 0Ls.

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 04, 2009, 05:49:03 PM »
I haven't read this entire thread, so I apologize if these questions were already answered.

How is the quality of life at UChicago?
Do you ever regret going there? Do you wish you had gone to another school?
What other schools did you consider, and why did you ultimately choose U of C?

Thank you!

1) I think QOL is good, actually.  I loved my first year - it was stressful, since it was 1L after all, but the people I met, and the people I became good friends with, were fantastic.  I lived in Regents (still do in fact), and it was very very easy to meet other 1Ls, since most of us lived there.  We pretty much went out or just hung out in a group basically every weekend - either in Hyde Park or downtown.  Part of the social scene is what you make it to be - if you have a tendency towards extreme introvertism (is that a word?? lol) it'll be harder.  But overall, everyone's friendly and wants to make friends, so a little effort gets you a long way towards enjoying your time here.

2) No regrets at all!  I was actually thisclose to sending in my lease in Ann Arbor and acceptance at Michigan, and only attended Chicago's ASW because I had already bought the plane ticket (I really really loved Michigan when I was there for their ASW).  But one day at Chicago completely changed my mind - I really liked the people I met at ASW, thought the current students who came out to meet us were awesome, and the professors were simply...wow.  There was basically no question of going anywhere else, and even now, I'm glad I chose Chicago - not the least because I have great friends here, but because of the opportunities too.  Let's just say that if I had gone to Michigan, I would still have had good job opportunities, but no way would I have gotten my 1L summer job at a major Tokyo law firm (since they don't recruit from Michigan), and that experience (plus not being able to speak Japanese!) made 2L OCI much easier for me (very strong correlation between taking the Tokyo offer over a V10 in NY, leading to an early callback pre-2L OCI with said NY firm, leading to offer from that firm during OCI and subsequent acceptance of said offer :) ). 

3) I answered this in part in #2, but basically I had an interesting cycle, where I was originally ED at CLS, withdrew from ED because of a Toby Stock interview, and later ended up being WLed at CLS and deferred at HLS.  I'm very glad it worked out that way though, because as fantastic as those two schools are, Chicago is a much better fit for me - I really can't imagine being anywhere else.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 20, 2009, 04:51:28 PM »
Off topic for a minute: Does anyone know if the Dean of Admissions (Ann Perry) is new or something? Or is the admissions process always this half-a$$ed? I ranted briefly in another thread about the recent "decision" mailing that wasn't. Now I'm concerned that the administration is this lackluster on all levels... Thoughts?
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #775 on: January 20, 2009, 04:59:03 PM »
Off topic for a minute: Does anyone know if the Dean of Admissions (Ann Perry) is new or something? Or is the admissions process always this half-a$$ed? I ranted briefly in another thread about the recent "decision" mailing that wasn't. Now I'm concerned that the administration is this lackluster on all levels... Thoughts?

she's not new (been there for at least three years). in your case, the hold MIGHT be yield protection because she thinks you'll get into NYU/columbia/HYS and wouldn't want to come here. the early hold may have been to give you an incentive to show chicago your interest before the class is full. yeah, it sucks, but the administration here is (generally) good, so i would take it more as an opportunity to show more interest in why you would come to chicago instead of other schools; not as a matter of administrative obnoxiousness.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 20, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad to hear that the administration is generally good.

I definitely intend to write an essay (more of my writing to show off... yay!), and I understand the whole YP thing (well, not for me really but... whatever). I'm just frustrated I guess.

*Deep breaths, in... and out...* Better now ;)

Thanks again, Clariel.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.