Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask Totally Fun Chicago Students Your Questions  (Read 80915 times)

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Totally Fun Chicago 1Ls Your Questions
« Reply #390 on: February 25, 2008, 11:54:43 AM »
Hey guys. Well, the admissions committee really owes you guys some hoodies or something. Started reading this thread yesterday sure that I was going to NYU. After two solid days of reading to catch up on it, I'm really hoping to have my 'hold' turn into an 'accept'. I'm a 3.3/173 finding myself wishing I'd gone ED...hope it all works out.

quincym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #391 on: February 25, 2008, 12:16:39 PM »
Hey guys. Well, the admissions committee really owes you guys some hoodies or something. Started reading this thread yesterday sure that I was going to NYU. After two solid days of reading to catch up on it, I'm really hoping to have my 'hold' turn into an 'accept'. I'm a 3.3/173 finding myself wishing I'd gone ED...hope it all works out.

3.3/174 here, ED and got deferred  :'(

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 25, 2008, 12:20:03 PM »

3.3/174 here, ED and got deferred  :'(

>:( Damn you and your extra lsat point.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 26, 2008, 04:29:22 PM »
Bored bump.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 26, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »
Bored bump.

Any thoughts on how many people get off Hold?

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 26, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »
Bored bump.

I wish I could give you a detailed answer, but I honestly don't know. Wasn't a factor for me, and most people don't really talk about their admissions process once they're here. I only know of a few people that came in off the waitlist, because they found out over the summer.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 26, 2008, 04:59:39 PM »
Bored bump.

I wish I could give you a detailed answer, but I honestly don't know. Wasn't a factor for me, and most people don't really talk about their admissions process once they're here. I only know of a few people that came in off the waitlist, because they found out over the summer.

Yeah, fair enough, I thought it'd be hard to have a real sense of it.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #397 on: February 28, 2008, 04:38:28 PM »

So the podcast from the Lat/Posner/Strahilevitz event is up.  Lat blogged about it over on ATL:

http://www.abovethelaw.com/2008/02/judges_as_public_figures_a_spe.php

I think even prospective students should be able to enjoy this one.

Wylde

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #398 on: February 28, 2008, 04:48:06 PM »
What kind of extracurriculars did you do in undergrad?

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #399 on: February 28, 2008, 05:36:27 PM »
What kind of extracurriculars did you do in undergrad?

as someone answered in your other thread, law school admission is primarily a numbers game compared to med school. that being said, i think most ECs are regarded pretty equally unless you've done something super impressive; i'm trying to think of an impressive example, but i don't think teach for america or even peace corps (though i think the latter is slightly more impressive?) exactly qualifies.

i think i had decent ECs: i did a lot of law-related internships (which practically everyone does, so i doubt that helped), and then i did a lot of community musical theatre. i think it looked good that i had a very strong GPA but still was well-rounded enough to do other completely unrelated things, but my numbers were still in range for the school so it probably didn't make a huge difference in my acceptance.