Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask Totally Fun Chicago Students Your Questions  (Read 80395 times)

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Totally Fun Chicago 1Ls Your Questions
« Reply #380 on: February 20, 2008, 03:53:40 PM »
I'm really curious about that too. Sunstein (and Strauss for that matter) have been teaching that class for almost 15 years. I wonder what the criteria for teaching a class like that would be... probably a wide academic focus... obviously an energetic approach in the classroom... I don't really know who qualifies. Gersen?

At this point, I wonder how hard it would be to teach Elements.  I mean, the curriculum is pretty set and doesn't really seem to change from year to year.  If a prof is comfortable with the material (and I suppose finds it interesting) it probably wouldn't be too difficult to take on Elements.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

Rev Cherrycoke

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 20, 2008, 04:32:47 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, sillyberry. I've known I'd be headed to Chicago for a few months now, so I've been waiting for these developments. When MN announced she wouldn't be headed anywhere, I thought that meant CS would fall in line.

Let the board know if you hear any rumors re: Elements. I'm sure I'll miss Sunstein's other classes as well (although the prospect of 1 visiting quarter a year mitigates that), but Elements seems to be the biggest hit for us 1Ls-to-be.

F'n Harvard.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #382 on: February 20, 2008, 05:01:34 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, sillyberry. I've known I'd be headed to Chicago for a few months now, so I've been waiting for these developments. When MN announced she wouldn't be headed anywhere, I thought that meant CS would fall in line.

Let the board know if you hear any rumors re: Elements. I'm sure I'll miss Sunstein's other classes as well (although the prospect of 1 visiting quarter a year mitigates that), but Elements seems to be the biggest hit for us 1Ls-to-be.

F'n Harvard.

there's a lot of speculation whether they broke up or not...if they did, the law school musical will have to find a new power couple next year.

also, i wouldn't worry too much....chicago really tries to expose students to the big name professors early on, especially for elements. so i bet they'll find someone fun to do it, and strauss is pretty awesome anyway.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #383 on: February 20, 2008, 05:26:54 PM »

F'n Harvard.

there's a lot of speculation whether they broke up or not...if they did, the law school musical will have to find a new power couple next year.

also, i wouldn't worry too much....chicago really tries to expose students to the big name professors early on, especially for elements. so i bet they'll find someone fun to do it, and strauss is pretty awesome anyway.

I would be heartbroken if this magazine article were rendered obsolete:

http://www.02138mag.com/lists/PC/1111.html

There are so many fantastic quotes in there.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 20, 2008, 05:42:52 PM »

F'n Harvard.

No speculation. They've broken up.

The rumors are about who Sunstein's new beau is (so far one name has surfaced).

Yeah, I really loved Strauss in Elements (although I imagine I would have loved Sunstein as well, even though opinion on him is surprisingly mixed).

Oh my.

That may even be better than the Guardian interview Nussbaum gave.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #385 on: February 20, 2008, 05:46:01 PM »
what's your source for the break-up? i'm just curious.

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 20, 2008, 07:59:04 PM »

Oh my.

That may even be better than the Guardian interview Nussbaum gave.

I just vomited a little in my mouth.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #387 on: February 20, 2008, 08:06:16 PM »
I actually like the Guardian thing even better.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2007/oct/27/weekend7.weekend

That was late October and she seems to really like him then. Strange that they've broken up and CS has moved on (if this is to be believed) so quickly.
U of C 2010

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 21, 2008, 02:07:44 AM »

I sent you a PM.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #389 on: February 21, 2008, 10:46:21 AM »

I sent you a PM.

got it. i also heard that levmore sort of confirmed it. it's sad that the first thing i thought of was what awkward faculty couple the law school musical can make fun of next year.