Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask Totally Fun Chicago Students Your Questions  (Read 80114 times)

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Ask Totally Fun Chicago Students Your Questions
« on: October 25, 2007, 01:28:22 AM »
No, this subject line is not oxymoronic.

Ask questions.  We'll answer.  Why?  I think I can safely say we love this place.  And if we don't, well, then I definitely do and I'll answer your questions and you can ignore the other punks.

ETA: Subject line changed so that everyone can feel free to chime in with advice.

I resisted the urge to change it to "Ask Totally Grumpy..." because I am trying to learn corporations and failing, but my personal failures should not impact the rest of you.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Totally Fun Chicago 1Ls Your Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 01:30:18 AM »
Why did you choose Chicago over other schools? Specifically, why did you choose UChi over the Darrow at Mich?

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 01:43:53 AM »
Why did you choose Chicago over other schools? Specifically, why did you choose UChi over the Darrow at Mich?

I can't answer the second question, but I'll try to tackle the first (with the understanding that its late and I'm not entirely sober, so I reserve the right to revise in the morning):

I became 100% sold during ASW, and I cannot pinpoint one or two things that made me so certain. If forced, I would probably go with two pretty big things: the students and the professors. As for the students, I just felt like I fit in (both with the current students and with the 1Ls that were likely to attend). In terms of the professors, its not merely their obviousl intelligence, but the fact that they also seem like (a) good teachers and (b) really accessible. And my first month here has confirmed that.

In terms of the "little things", I also love the city of Chicago, the quarter system, the career opportunities, the small class size, and a few other things.

But I do want to say that I'm not entirely comfortable answering a broad question like "Why Chicago?" because a lot of it depends on the little intuitions you feel when you visit a school and/or the depth of knowledge you'll develop over the next year in closely examining law schools. Its hard to distill that all down into one post. Maybe others can, so hopefully they can chip in now.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 02:12:22 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I would love to get into UChi, for all of the reasons you listed above. I just like to hear why people chose Chicago over Columbia, NYU, or other schools. :)

Thanks again

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 02:37:46 AM »
Just tagging this thread so I can keep an eye on it (in case anyone has questions for a totally not fun Chicago 3L).

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 03:06:33 AM »
More:

Any opinions on housing? Regents or grad housing, other options? Where do most people live? Any pros or cons to various housing options? Where do 2Ls and 3Ls live?

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 03:09:33 AM »

I can't answer the second question, but I'll try to tackle the first (with the understanding that its late and I'm not entirely sober, so I reserve the right to revise in the morning):

I became 100% sold during ASW, and I cannot pinpoint one or two things that made me so certain. If forced, I would probably go with two pretty big things: the students and the professors. As for the students, I just felt like I fit in (both with the current students and with the 1Ls that were likely to attend). In terms of the professors, its not merely their obviousl intelligence, but the fact that they also seem like (a) good teachers and (b) really accessible. And my first month here has confirmed that.

In terms of the "little things", I also love the city of Chicago, the quarter system, the career opportunities, the small class size, and a few other things.

But I do want to say that I'm not entirely comfortable answering a broad question like "Why Chicago?" because a lot of it depends on the little intuitions you feel when you visit a school and/or the depth of knowledge you'll develop over the next year in closely examining law schools. Its hard to distill that all down into one post. Maybe others can, so hopefully they can chip in now.

Pre totally stole my answer.  I'll just say I pretty much agree 100% with what he said, as far as choosing UChi over Michigan, or any other school.

More:

Any opinions on housing? Regent's or grad housing, other options? Where do most people live? Any pros or cons to various housing options? Where do 2Ls and 3Ls live?

As someone who lives in Regents, I really recommend it - unless you're not planning on living in Hyde Park at all.  It's extremely convenient having so many fellow law students (and for the most part, many of your good friends) near you, and it's great when you're looking for someone to cab back with after a night out downtown.  I think most people as 1Ls live in Regents, although my friends who don't live here and instead live in grad housing seem to enjoy it a lot. 

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 11:11:43 AM »

It was a feeling.

I came to visit Chicago back in February (totally randomly) and had an A-MAZING time.  I sat in on classes, ate lunch with students, got a personal tour from the admissions office, sat in on the Law and Economics workshop, and went to a meeting of the Edmund Burke Society.  The evening ended hilariously at the Pub.  I fell head over heels in love.  The classes were really interesting (Strahilevitz!).  Watching professors attack a paper at the workshop was astonishing.  But most importantly I had a tremendous time with the people.  They were so much fun, so smart, so entertaining.  I really felt like these were people I wanted to be around for three years.

ASW confirmed this.  I loved the people who are now my fellow 1Ls.  You could tell the administration cared.  Dean Levmore was insightful and hilarious and caustic.

Now about to finish my fifth week, I couldn't be happier.  Sure there is work and reading and annoying ungraded memos, but well, that's law school.  There are also provocative discussions and good times.  The professors are so damn smart and they say things in class like "funsies!"  I love that we have a small class size.  I like that we really get to know the whole class instead of just the 90 people in our section.  I like how friendly the 2Ls and 3Ls are (only occasionally abusing us).  I like Thursday Wine Mess.

I also am so happy with the city of Chicago.  I had never spent any time here before school, but so far I love it.

That being said, I really liked Michigan.  Obviously the money was good, the people were awesome, I had a blast at ASW.  But I just didn't feel it.  Chicago felt right.  My decision came down to one question:  would I get something substantive by going to Chicago over Michigan that made turning down the money worth it?  Obviously, for me, the answer was yes.

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 11:15:49 AM »
No, this subject line is not oxymoronic.

Ask questions.  We'll answer.  Why?  I think I can safely say we love this place.  And if we don't, well, then I definitely do and I'll answer your questions and you can ignore the other punks.

Which do you love more, me or Chicago?

(I'm glad you love it!)

You, of course.  But that's true for any comparison you could make.

"Cady or cheeseburgers?"  "Cady or Brad Pitt's abs?"  "Cady or rainbows?"

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 07:00:29 PM »
I'll echo what bosco said about Regents being my top pick. Its just extremely convenient in all major areas of concern. Of course, sillyberry doesn't live in Regents, so she may be able to provide a counterpoint. I think there are two other UChicago LSDers who don't live in Regents.

Apartments are pretty good as well, especially for the price. But, be forewarned, the leasing office staff blows. Just awful. Pretty much every 1L on LSD who lives in Regents has a horror story about their leasing agent.

That said, lots of other people live in new grad or other apartments, and they seem just as happy.

FWIW, the gym at New Grad is worthless, unless they put in the renovations they were promising.

I've seen the gym at New Grad and it seemed OK. But I think most people just go to Ratner.

Of course, this is coming from someone who avoids gyms like the plague, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I haven't even cashed in my 3 months free gym membership at Regents.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."