Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LR Q challenge  (Read 1065 times)

giveme170

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
LR Q challenge
« on: October 24, 2007, 10:38:19 PM »
 Large-scale government projects designed to benefit everyone- such as roads, schools, and bridges- usually benefit some small segments of society, initially at least, more than others. The more equally and widely political power is distributed among the citizenry, the less likely such projects are to receive funding. Hence, government by referendum rather than by means of elected representatives tends to diminish, not enhance, the welfare of a society.

Which is the assumption?

A) Large-scale government projects sometimes enhance the welfare of society.

E) Government by referendum is the only way to distribute political power equally and widely.

Can someone explain what is going on in this problem? I did not really understand the logical structure of this argument. Thanks in advance.  :)

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
Re: LR Q challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:44:50 PM »
Large-scale government projects designed to benefit everyone- such as roads, schools, and bridges- usually benefit some small segments of society, initially at least, more than others. The more equally and widely political power is distributed among the citizenry, the less likely such projects are to receive funding. Hence, government by referendum rather than by means of elected representatives tends to diminish, not enhance, the welfare of a society.

Whihc is the assumption?

E) Government by referendum is the only way to distribute political power equally and widely.

Can someone explain what is going on in this problem? I did not really understand stand the logical structure of this argument. Thanks in advance.  :)

Well, the argument is saying that government by referendum diminishes the welfare of society.  It is saying that because government by referendum decreases the chance of large-scale projects getting funded.  If having less large-scale projects diminishes the welfare of society, it must mean that large-scale projects sometimes enhance the welfare of society.  Otherwise, why would having less of them decrease the welfare of society?

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Marko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 11:02:34 PM »
I woulds say (A)

for one, you can eliminate (E) since it doesn't matter that referendum is the only way to distribute power, that wouldn't help the argument. Let's say that you know of another system that distribute powers equally, like citizen assemblys.  How would that help the argument.

Break it down (i don't mean start dancing, break the argument down) and reword it to make sense to you:

p1: Large-scale government projects that are supposed to help everyone, usually benefit one group of people more, initially
p2: The more equally and widely political power is distributed among the citizenry (for example referendum), the less likely such projects are to receive funding.
-----
C: Hence, government by referendum rather than by means of elected representatives tends to diminish, not enhance, the welfare of a society.

Or in layman terms: it's saying that large scale gov't projects won't receive the funding they need to be put in place if they are chosen by referendum. So, they won't be implemented. Since htey won't be implemented, they can't benefit society. BUT WAIT! Who says they benefit society in the first place! Answer choice A says they do!! That's the missing link. I think you probably got confused becasue you took the first premise to be equal to "welfare of society". but it's not. it's just saying some people benefit more that others initially.

Also, there's a test for assumption questions: take the opposite of the answer choice and ask if it weakens the argument. If it does it's an assumption.

"Miss McElroy says I can do better than B's and C's, but I've decided to stop doing homework and spend the next 15 years studying for the LSAT."

giveme170

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 12:12:11 AM »
Marko, excellent explanation! You are another LSAT sage, huh  :) I think I mainly got confused because of the first sentence. What is the significance of the first sentence in this argument? Is it just there to confuse people? Thanks to both of you. Its really helpful.

Marko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 12:29:37 AM »
hey no prob :) glad to be of help and it helps me get my head around it too

i guess the purpose would be to introduce the large scale governments projects element. the second part is useless though. it's probably there to confuse. one thing they test is your ability to discern what's important information. seperate the crap from the important stuff. it's an important skill in reading law cases.

good luck!
"Miss McElroy says I can do better than B's and C's, but I've decided to stop doing homework and spend the next 15 years studying for the LSAT."