Law School Discussion

3.6/162 Looking For Advice

3.6/162 Looking For Advice
« on: October 24, 2007, 02:04:17 PM »
Hello all. First post here.

I have a 3.6 from a decent Northeast school and a 162 on the LSAT. I had been scoring in the low 170's high 160's on practice tests but was in a car accident literally just a few minutes before the test so I was a little shaken up to say the least. I'd like to stay somewhere in the Northeast to Mid-Atlantic area. I have received fee waivers for Washington and Lee and William and Mary and those are probably about the only two out of all the waivers I would consider going to. Two questions.

1. Where should I apply? I have a list going already but I will refrain from posting it as I want to get some outside info from the posters here first.

2. I'm registered to take it again in Dec, should I wait to apply until my score comes in (big risk?) or apply with what I have now and inform them of my latest score.

Re: 3.6/162 Looking For Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 05:10:35 PM »
Top, sorry for the quick bump but any comments? Really looking for some decent advice because I feel that I'm not being advised properly at my undergrad.

El_Che

  • ****
  • 600
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
Re: 3.6/162 Looking For Advice
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 05:15:37 PM »
1. Maybe BU; W&L and W&M for sure. Maybe George Mason? If you don't mind D.C., then American.

2. I'm inclined to say apply now and make sure they are aware that you will be retaking it in December..at least you'll be on their radar this way, good luck!

Re: 3.6/162 Looking For Advice
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 05:35:09 PM »
How would my chances bet at American? I didn't hear anything from them about fee waivers which surprises me since W & M and W & L are in the same area and have better rankings according to us news and the princeton review gpa/lsat reports.

El_Che

  • ****
  • 600
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
Re: 3.6/162 Looking For Advice
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 05:37:27 PM »
From the looks of it, your chances would be good at American:   http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/graphs.php?cycle=5&school_code=5007

Not too sure if they offer fee waivers though

Re: 3.6/162 Looking For Advice
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 05:48:12 PM »
Yeah I'm not concerned with the cost of application, just thought it was strange I didn't get one from them but I got one from better schools in the area. Anyone have any thoughts on my chances at uconn or fordham?

Re: 3.6/162 Looking For Advice
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 07:40:12 PM »
We have nearly identical numbers and I think I can offer you some advice. I actually applied last cycle and really under-estimated my chances when it came to applications. I picked 5 schools I was pretty certain I would be accepted to and 4 reaches. I got into all 5 of my somewhat-safety schools with $ at 4/5 and waitlisted at all 4 of my reaches.

In: Maryland ($), American, Temple($), Northeastern ($), Richmond ($)
Waitlisted: UPenn, Wash U, GW, William & Mary

When it came down to it...I couldn't swallow being waitlisted at those schools, especially penn, and then deciding between Maryland and American (with no $ from American and very little from MD). So I've decided to give the admissions cycle another shot.

In my experience, law schools look at a lot more than GPA/LSAT. I should note that I do have a lot of really strong soft factors but I'm also not a URM - most people assume that when they hear waitlisted at Penn with a 162. If you want something, you should go for it. These posts can be discouraging sometimes with how focused advice can be on mere numbers. We're more than just lsat scores and gpa's. And I think law schools recognize that more often than they're credited for.

So to answer your question, if you have fairly strong soft factors, I would definitely apply to American, Fordham, & UConn. You could even throw in some real reaches... you never know.

And I'm retaking in December as well, and sending in all my apps before the test. Hope this helps!

Re: 3.6/162 Looking For Advice
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 07:58:40 PM »
good to hear, I have decent soft factors I would say nothing special. A few years of NCAA lacrosse, president of honor society and after that theres really not much else. Nothing really special on the resume but I should have 2 well written letters of recommendation. I also have some pretty good personal statement topics I plan on writing about, 1 would be an illness I've had to overcome in my athletics, and 2 would be the fact that my first undergrad school notified me it was closing the day before my high school graduation and when all was said in done I will have been to 3 undergrad schools in 4 years due to that.

Re: 3.6/162 Looking For Advice
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 07:17:03 AM »
I just met with my adviser who recommended I apply now and he still thinks I should apply to NYU so.... not putting all that much credence into what he is saying. Am I setting myself up for disaster if I apply before the december test and get rejected to where I want to go? At the same time am I dooming myself by waiting to send in applications. I realize there is a big risk involved in waiting till December to take it, especially if my score doesn't go up. Also you mentioned your sending in your apps before the test, are you notifying them that you are taking it again through a separate letter or just on the application form itself.

Re: 3.6/162 Looking For Advice
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 12:33:10 PM »
Yay for lacrosse! I played in college as well. For NYU, I would notify them on the application that you're taking it again. It will only help. They won't make a decision until the new score comes and I really think that's the way you want it. I know you risk going down, but the benefits if you do go up are worth the risk of going down AND the risk of getting an early rejection letter and then scoring a 166+ in December. That's what I'm doing with Penn. With the new policy they take your best score, so even if you do go down, they'll take your 162 just like before. 

As for the other schools it's kind of tricky. I sent in my applications and didn't indicate I was taking it again. I want my applications to be reviewed early because you have the greatest advantage then. I don't expect to get decisions until after the december score comes in anyway so I see it as an extra bonus if I do well and if not, they take my 162 just like before and I still get whatever advantage you get by applying early.

I still wouldn't do that for schools like NYU and Penn. In reality, if you want something more than a waitlist at NYU, (unless you just blow them away with everything else) the LSAT has to go up. I don't mean to sound negative at all, because you always have a chance but I think you have the best chance waiting for the december score.