Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What box to check?  (Read 5167 times)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: What box to check?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 12:24:23 PM »
The only credited response to this question is to click whatever benefits you most when applying.

I have no interest whatsoever in helping people who identify as black only for purposes of admissions, nor would I want any such people admitted to my law school by doing so. 

Agreed. 

I like you and all 

LOL.  the feeling's mutual  :) :-* 

I just don't want to help ppl like that. Not saying the OP is or isn't like that. But it's one thing to take advantage of the system/stick it to "the man" but this is something entirely different. I'm all for taking advantage in other ways like getting extra time on the LSAT, maybe taking a prep course, reading some prep books right b4 you go in, etc. 

Only if it is a legitimate dilemma do I say go with whatever makes you comfortable.  But if it isn't, screw 'em.  :-X
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 02:11:35 PM »
Additionaly, I think if a mixed person has to ask than they already know.

For example, Alicia Keys or Jason Kidd would not hesitate to check black
On the flip side Jessica Beale would probably put "other" or white (no disrespect to her, its just the way I see it)

GoldenAfro

• Sr. Citizen
  • Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 02:40:15 PM »
Is Jessica Biel biracial?!  Or is Jessica Beale some other celebrity?
I'm taking my freedom... Pulling it off the shelf... Putting it on my chain... Wearing it 'round my neck... I'm taking my freedom... Putting it in my car... Wherever I choose to go... It will take me far

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 02:41:07 PM »
Suprise Suprise

Yeah. Her pops is Black and moms is White

GoldenAfro

• Sr. Citizen
  • Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 02:44:40 PM »
Wow that's news to me.  Eh, she's a good/decent actor either way, lol.
I'm taking my freedom... Pulling it off the shelf... Putting it on my chain... Wearing it 'round my neck... I'm taking my freedom... Putting it in my car... Wherever I choose to go... It will take me far

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 02:47:19 PM »
Really, she's mixed?  Nicole Ritchie would be another good example.

ETA: Wiki says Biel is not mixed with black: Biel was born in Ely, Minnesota, daughter of Kimberly (Kim) Biel (née Conroe) and Jonathan Edward Biel, an entrepreneur.[1] She is of mixed Native American (Choctaw) and European (German, French, Irish and English) ancestry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_biel

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 02:56:53 PM »
Really, she's mixed?  Nicole Ritchie would be another good example.

ETA: Wiki says Biel is not mixed with black: Biel was born in Ely, Minnesota, daughter of Kimberly (Kim) Biel (née Conroe) and Jonathan Edward Biel, an entrepreneur.[1] She is of mixed Native American (Choctaw) and European (German, French, Irish and English) ancestry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_biel

Wrong Beal.  UNAS was referring to Jennifer Beals, who is biracial.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 03:54:02 PM »
Ah OK

«ě»

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 03:56:19 PM »
Ok, for the record, I am the one who is like that, not necessarily the OP. That being said, that is really who I am. I will take advantage of absolutely anything I can, whether justified or righteous or whatever. I'm a cynical a-hole, and I always will be. Chances are that will be a good thing (for my own sake) in a lawyer career, at least that's the impression I get from the business. It's a good thing not everyone does that, I'm sure :)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 04:28:39 PM »
Pretty sure Jennifer Beals self-id's as more black than one might think by looking at her. (She's done interviews and stuff where she talks about this. Also, I love her.) Read: I don't think there's a reason to think she self-id's as less black than Alicia Keys just because she looks less black than AK does.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.