Law School Discussion

Extend PS just for Boalt (UC-Berkeley)?

Extend PS just for Boalt (UC-Berkeley)?
« on: October 24, 2007, 08:14:38 AM »
They're the only school that's willing to accept up to four pages, and I've heard that it's important to extend it.

Should I?  I'm really interested in attending.

Re: Extend PS just for Boalt (UC-Berkeley)?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 09:22:19 AM »
I'm working on doing this today; its my last app.

When I talked to the Boalt's rep at my law school fair, she highly recommended writing more than two pages, implying that applicants who don't take full advantage of the longer page parameters look like they don't care that much about their Boalt application.

I mentioned that I had a PS and DS prepared, but she suggested just blending the two rather than in her words, submitting "two truncated statements."

That said, I've having a lot of trouble extending it. After slicing my PS down to 2 pages, adding stuff just makes it chunky and detracts from the essay's clarity, sigh  :(.

Good luck!

Re: Extend PS just for Boalt (UC-Berkeley)?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 02:12:11 PM »
I'm working on doing this today; its my last app.

When I talked to the Boalt's rep at my law school fair, she highly recommended writing more than two pages, implying that applicants who don't take full advantage of the longer page parameters look like they don't care that much about their Boalt application.

I mentioned that I had a PS and DS prepared, but she suggested just blending the two rather than in her words, submitting "two truncated statements."

That said, I've having a lot of trouble extending it. After slicing my PS down to 2 pages, adding stuff just makes it chunky and detracts from the essay's clarity, sigh  :(.

Good luck!

If it's making the essay worse, I'd forget about extending it.  It's only a general rule that you should extend it (FWIW, I did not do so, as I felt that it would detract from the strength of my PS).