Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nurse practitioner to JD????  (Read 2913 times)

chirnonc

• View Profile
    • Email
Nurse practitioner to JD????
« on: October 24, 2007, 12:38:25 PM »
Hi!  I am a 40 something nurse practitioner who has been bitten by the law school bug.  I am currently working on a legal nurse consultant certificate.  While doing this I have found I really like learning about the law.

I am considering LS.  My grad GPA was between 3.0-3.5...can't recall exactly.  I am thinking of doing med-mal or personal injury.  I am worried about work load etc.  I'm thinking of going to a PT program cause I still need to work. 

I'm married but have no kids.  I'm going to meet with an attorney friend to get her opinion/advise.  I have brought the kaplan prep books for the LSAT.  I will be finishing the LNC program first so I am not looking untill fall 2008 or 2009.

Any other advise/suggestions?

Thanks.

LSRN

• View Profile
Re: Nurse practitioner to JD????
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 03:35:45 PM »
I am an RN and in my 3rd year of a PT program.  There are lots of opportunities for RN/JD.  Check out TAANA.com (The American Association of Nurse Attorneys).  Undergrad GPA was a little less than yours and LSAT was ok.  Took two admissions cycles to get in, but I am in now and doing great.  Love it - oh, and I'll be 51 when I graduate!

RN to JD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nurse practitioner to JD????
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 08:01:56 PM »
I really wish you guy's luck in law school. I really thought this was the path for me but I have changed course. The expert testimony also got me all excited about learning law, I really do enjoy that. For the last few years I have been trying to decide law or crna and finally came to the conclusion that crna was the way to go for me. I am from a rural area and can't move anywhere else. Also, the rn/jd opportunities just don't seem to be here.  I have studied my a** off for the LSAT only now to take the MAT. Who knows, I may come back this way again once all is said and done. I just know that my family was about ready to knock me out if I didn't make my decision soon. Again good luck Gosh, after typing this I really feel a loss for making the decision I made. Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to crna and I think I will really enjoy this (better hours and better money than I could make in law here). It's just that I have envisioned myself as an attorney for so long, it's feels like a part of me has died. Good luck and remember to represent the nurses.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain