Law School Discussion

Nurse practitioner to JD????

Nurse practitioner to JD????
« on: October 24, 2007, 10:38:25 AM »
Hi!  I am a 40 something nurse practitioner who has been bitten by the law school bug.  I am currently working on a legal nurse consultant certificate.  While doing this I have found I really like learning about the law.

I am considering LS.  My grad GPA was between 3.0-3.5...can't recall exactly.  I am thinking of doing med-mal or personal injury.  I am worried about work load etc.  I'm thinking of going to a PT program cause I still need to work. 

I'm married but have no kids.  I'm going to meet with an attorney friend to get her opinion/advise.  I have brought the kaplan prep books for the LSAT.  I will be finishing the LNC program first so I am not looking untill fall 2008 or 2009.

Any other advise/suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: Nurse practitioner to JD????
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 01:35:45 PM »
I am an RN and in my 3rd year of a PT program.  There are lots of opportunities for RN/JD.  Check out TAANA.com (The American Association of Nurse Attorneys).  Undergrad GPA was a little less than yours and LSAT was ok.  Took two admissions cycles to get in, but I am in now and doing great.  Love it - oh, and I'll be 51 when I graduate!

Re: Nurse practitioner to JD????
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 06:01:56 PM »
I really wish you guy's luck in law school. I really thought this was the path for me but I have changed course. The expert testimony also got me all excited about learning law, I really do enjoy that. For the last few years I have been trying to decide law or crna and finally came to the conclusion that crna was the way to go for me. I am from a rural area and can't move anywhere else. Also, the rn/jd opportunities just don't seem to be here.  I have studied my a** off for the LSAT only now to take the MAT. Who knows, I may come back this way again once all is said and done. I just know that my family was about ready to knock me out if I didn't make my decision soon. Again good luck Gosh, after typing this I really feel a loss for making the decision I made. Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to crna and I think I will really enjoy this (better hours and better money than I could make in law here). It's just that I have envisioned myself as an attorney for so long, it's feels like a part of me has died. Good luck and remember to represent the nurses.