Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT prep courses....  (Read 1058 times)

Bowie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
LSAT prep courses....
« on: October 24, 2007, 12:29:12 PM »
Should you take the course the corresponds to the books you already used to prepare? I read the Powerscore books and I was wondering if it would make sense for me to take the Powerscore class. I think Powerscore's methods are good and I don't want to learn a whole new set of methods to answering questions, however, that could be a good thing I guess. For those who read the powerscore books and took a class, which one did you take? I've heard TestMasters is similar to Powerscore, but I am just looking for the best class that will build upon what I've already learned from the PowerScore books.

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT prep courses....
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 11:44:52 AM »
I might of told you this already but I dont mind repeating myself...  the classes are a major waste of time.  Find a good tutor in your area.  Maybe ask around here for referrals.  Seriously you will get more for your money with a tutor.

Bowie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 02:29:20 PM »
How come I don't hear anyone else saying the classes are a waste of time? How do I know a tutor will be so great? Maybe a class is a waste of time to you, but to others, it might not be.

LSATstruggle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 02:45:17 PM »
How come I don't hear anyone else saying the classes are a waste of time? How do I know a tutor will be so great? Maybe a class is a waste of time to you, but to others, it might not be.

The classes are a waste of time if you know what products to  get online.  You get the bibles free online.( Illegal blabla)  That is the whole powerscore course.

You can get every test from 96 -2007 online. So that basically means you have all the same problems a prep course would give you.

You might as well hire a tutor to work with you for about 6 sessions for 1200 dollars. I am sure you can find one.

Powerscore  is the exact same thing as the bibles. Infact they even  use the bibles as their teachers manual.  The teacher showed me.

The only benifit of a class if you  can talk to other people in your situation. And maybe   have a study partner. But study partners do not work to well unless you are about the same skill level.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 02:49:36 PM »
I took a class. Got TONS of practice materials...that's about it. I ended up buying two powerscore books and using those techniques but practiced on my class materials. I'd say it was a waste.

I'd rather have that $1200 back and apply to every scool in the top that I have a shot at.

LSATstruggle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 02:58:46 PM »
I took a class. Got TONS of practice materials...that's about it. I ended up buying two powerscore books and using those techniques but practiced on my class materials. I'd say it was a waste.

I'd rather have that $1200 back and apply to every scool in the top that I have a shot at.

All they  is combine the older test from 1991 -1999 and divide the question up so you are doing all assumption blabla.

I think it is better to take sections from real test instead of a course dividing it up for me. That way i can work on timing.

nateDgr8

• Slightly Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 03:44:27 PM »

I used the bibles at first and am now taking a Testmasters course.  I liked the fact that I've had to look at each question type from slightly different perspectives.  I feel like I have a better understanding because of it.

I also learn very well in classroom environments.  I've been working on this for a while and there is a lot of motivation for me working with other people though a structured course.  Plus I met a few new drinking buddies that I can obsess about law school with...

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 05:04:20 PM »

You were saying???

Anyway theres some people agreeing with me.  If you want to waste your money I dont have a problem with it. 

The major reasons why classes are a waste of money...

1.  Classes have to focus on everyones weaknesses whether they are your weaknesses or not.  By the time the class is over youve wasted hours on stuff you understand.  A tutor will focus on YOUR weaknesses the entire time youre with them. 

2.  The materials that classes provide are available for a fraction of the price in books and online.

I think a list like this could get a big sticky with a bunch of contributions.  Too bad the site would probably have a few issues with the sponsors if it did.

Bowie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 09:22:02 AM »
Ok, well, where can I find a good tutor? I really hope Craigslist is not my only option.

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 10:40:48 AM »
Ok, well, where can I find a good tutor? I really hope Craigslist is not my only option.

Well if youre comfortable, I would put up a post requesting tutor referrals with your location in the subject heading.  If youre not comfortable with that suggestion then search online or go to a local law school/ university and read the bulletin boards, ask around. Another option would be try to find out where a TM or PS class is and ask the instructor for private tutoring w/o the company as a middleman.

A last resort would be to hire a tutor through TM or PS.

If you happen to be in or near a major city craigs list might work for you.