Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grad Students OK for recs?  (Read 776 times)

jyhlee

• View Profile
Grad Students OK for recs?
« on: October 24, 2007, 10:02:24 AM »
Hey all,

First poster here.  I know that recs from professors obviously carry more weight, but my last two classes at school were 400 level courses for my major, so would it be okay to get recs from the grad students that taught these courses?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks! 

TurboBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Grad Students OK for recs?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:42:46 AM »
I think it's ok if you absolutely must and if you feel the grad student will REALLY be able to write a strong letter and is REALLY familiar with your work.  I personally think that somebody with professor status is a much better choice.  Did you not have profs who knew you well?  But yeah, like I said.  If you really feel like the grad student is the perfect candidate who will write an out-of-this-world letter, you can give it a try.  Good luck!
Support the arts, sleep with a musician.

Morning Star

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 01:02:03 PM »
Grad student recommenders are fine.  In fact, between a professor who doesn't know you and grad student who had you in discussions section every week, it is almost always better to have the grad student TA write it.
CLS 2011

jyhlee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 01:36:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I do have a recommendation coming from a professor of another course in my major, but as a backup/secondary recommendation, I'm assuming the grad student rec should be okay now?  Any further input would be greatly appreciated. 

rabbit9198

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 10:58:18 PM »
I think there are two good ways you could balance this situation or another like it:
* Have the grad student submit comments on your work to the professor, and have the professor write the letter with that input...only if you're really worried about having the LOR come from the professor, otherwise I think it's fine to pick the person who knows you better.
* Have the grad student write the letter, but have the professor sign off on it, too - like, literally, put their signature on it. I've heard people have done this, just to give some sort of credence to the legitimacy of what the grad student says.
Read my blog about 1L life at Yale (and Harvard): http://similarlysituated.blogspot.com/

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rabbit9198/

YLS 2011