lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
Yeah
« on: October 24, 2007, 07:14:06 AM »

dran

Re: Pass/Fail without a choice?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 07:31:23 AM »
I was worried about that too...I had a scholarship at my undergrad, and as part of that we had these Freshman Scholar Seminars, Sophomore Scholar Seminars, etc. every semester. Zero Credits, Pass/Fail. You Pass if you show up. I think you Pass even if you don't show up. I was worried it would look bad since I have a Pass/Fail class literally every semester.

I feel like it's their job to know these types of things though. They see so many applicants, i'm sure they know how most schools work.

ManTGeo

• HLS 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 05:58:26 PM »
Taking pass/fail courses is a tiny soft factor and I highly, highly doubt that either of you have any real reason to worry.

tota

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 06:06:31 PM »
I didn't really think about this before, but the pass/fail posts lately have somewhat worried me.  I already have 15 hours of pass/fail credit (all passes, though...lol) on my transcript, but none of it was my choice -- as in, my school doesn't offer the option to changing an A-F graded class into a pass/fail.  The credits I have are 9 hours of internship, 3 hours of AP credit that transferred in, 1 hour of an honors seminar, and 1 hour of sports credit.  Will the adcomms think I chose to get pass/fails on these classes b/c I wasn't doing well or someting, or will they be able to figure out that they are just graded that way?  I would think they'd be able to realize based on the class titles, but the posts lately have made me wonder.  Thanks.

The bulk of your pass/fail is from internships, which is perfectly fine.  I doubt they would care.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 06:45:58 PM »
I have 18 hours of study abroad P/F, all passes. I figure they'll realize that I didn't have the option to take my grades, but I'll ask next time I talk to an admissions person.

Matthew

• Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 07:37:27 PM »
I didn't really think about this before, but the pass/fail posts lately have somewhat worried me.  I already have 15 hours of pass/fail credit (all passes, though...lol) on my transcript, but none of it was my choice -- as in, my school doesn't offer the option to changing an A-F graded class into a pass/fail.  The credits I have are 9 hours of internship, 3 hours of AP credit that transferred in, 1 hour of an honors seminar, and 1 hour of sports credit.  Will the adcomms think I chose to get pass/fails on these classes b/c I wasn't doing well or someting, or will they be able to figure out that they are just graded that way?  I would think they'd be able to realize based on the class titles, but the posts lately have made me wonder.  Thanks.

That's only 14, and you shouldn't worry about it.