• brightly burns
    • View Profile
Yeah
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:14:06 AM »

dran

• View Profile
Re: Pass/Fail without a choice?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 09:31:23 AM »
I was worried about that too...I had a scholarship at my undergrad, and as part of that we had these Freshman Scholar Seminars, Sophomore Scholar Seminars, etc. every semester. Zero Credits, Pass/Fail. You Pass if you show up. I think you Pass even if you don't show up. I was worried it would look bad since I have a Pass/Fail class literally every semester.

I feel like it's their job to know these types of things though. They see so many applicants, i'm sure they know how most schools work.

ManTGeo

• Sr. Citizen
  • HLS 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 07:58:26 PM »
Taking pass/fail courses is a tiny soft factor and I highly, highly doubt that either of you have any real reason to worry.

tota

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 08:06:31 PM »
I didn't really think about this before, but the pass/fail posts lately have somewhat worried me.  I already have 15 hours of pass/fail credit (all passes, though...lol) on my transcript, but none of it was my choice -- as in, my school doesn't offer the option to changing an A-F graded class into a pass/fail.  The credits I have are 9 hours of internship, 3 hours of AP credit that transferred in, 1 hour of an honors seminar, and 1 hour of sports credit.  Will the adcomms think I chose to get pass/fails on these classes b/c I wasn't doing well or someting, or will they be able to figure out that they are just graded that way?  I would think they'd be able to realize based on the class titles, but the posts lately have made me wonder.  Thanks.

The bulk of your pass/fail is from internships, which is perfectly fine.  I doubt they would care.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 08:45:58 PM »
I have 18 hours of study abroad P/F, all passes. I figure they'll realize that I didn't have the option to take my grades, but I'll ask next time I talk to an admissions person.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 09:37:27 PM »
I didn't really think about this before, but the pass/fail posts lately have somewhat worried me.  I already have 15 hours of pass/fail credit (all passes, though...lol) on my transcript, but none of it was my choice -- as in, my school doesn't offer the option to changing an A-F graded class into a pass/fail.  The credits I have are 9 hours of internship, 3 hours of AP credit that transferred in, 1 hour of an honors seminar, and 1 hour of sports credit.  Will the adcomms think I chose to get pass/fails on these classes b/c I wasn't doing well or someting, or will they be able to figure out that they are just graded that way?  I would think they'd be able to realize based on the class titles, but the posts lately have made me wonder.  Thanks.

That's only 14, and you shouldn't worry about it.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago