Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MD and JD  (Read 2038 times)

insomniac

• View Profile
    • Email
MD and JD
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:13:26 PM »
Any other MDs out there applying this cycle? Are you planning on leaving practice or just going part time? Did friends/family/colleagues think you were crazy to go back to school? I'd love to think I'm in good company.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: MD and JD
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 01:16:07 AM »
If I can ask, why go for the JD? Just curious; my roommate is applying to med school now.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 01:36:50 AM »
If I can ask, why go for the JD? Just curious; my roommate is applying to med school now.

Because, depending on the specialty, medicine is a very difficult, draining, unrewarding field.

I definitely agree, but people say the same thing about law ;) also depending on the specialty, I guess. I was just looking for specific reasons, since it seems like a bigger career change than most.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 10:49:25 PM »
firms that do IP law for health sciences will be FALLING over themselves if you are in the top half, hell top 75% of a decent school
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 03:43:07 PM »
we have a MD in my 1L class.
Columbia 3L

qt314

• Sr. Citizen
  • pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
    • bluewords
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 04:24:36 AM »
tee-hee. i'm so glad i'm getting out (of medicine) while i still can.  ;D
NYU Class of 2011!

kibitzer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 06:39:43 PM »
wow...i guess one would always find people who are like them. May be am lucky may not for finding out medicine is not what i want to pursue, but ever since i started college (senior now) i knew the career i dreamed about all my life was coming to end for me. I told my parents then, Doctors are labors and that is the least thing i want do in my life...to become a mere labor (one way or the other we all are). I wanted to be someone influential (plz pardon my logic but i'll still stick to some of it though..hehe). I told them I wanted an intellectual field not labor field. Since then i started to have grudge toward medicine even though i decided to pursue...or more likely my parents bribe me to do so...my premed. Am senior now and my opinion about medicine has not changed after all.

So i had an honest talk with my parents couple weeks ago, telling them, "am not gonna say, medicine is not for me, but i would say, i chose not to choose that life." Am glad they finally understood me...i won't say i had the same respond from my friends and the rest. All i would say is, its never to late. I started to regret once i confirm my plan with my parents about majoring in science. But again, i rather live on the edge then live unhappily for long time.

This post will definately inspire people...it did for me. Thanks isomniac for starting it.

insomniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 11:43:39 PM »
Wow. First real job at 32? At least I've managed to spend some time out in the world.
I'll still have as many diplomas to hang (internship/residency in lieu of PhD/MBA), so I guess I'm not totally inadequate...
MBA unlikely but possible; PhD, blech.

qt314

• Sr. Citizen
  • pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
    • bluewords
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 05:02:51 AM »
just get an MBA and a PhD and you'll have a full house!

I've actually seen a linked in profile that looks like:

UG: 1993-1997
MD/PhD: 1997-2002
JD/MBA: 2003-2007

Working for Goldman now...

some people just luuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve school.

NYU Class of 2011!