Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HLS 1L taking questions  (Read 1961 times)

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
HLS 1L taking questions
« on: October 23, 2007, 09:36:56 PM »
Whee! I've never got to do one of these before.

Harvard's giving 1Ls a fall break this year for the first time, so the pressure is completely off for a week. In the midst of some low-impact outlining, I thought I'd check in with LSD to see how y'all are doing. This board was good to me last year, so if I can repay that with some advice of my own, just ask away.
Former mostly-anonymous admissions cycle blogger. Current law student.

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: HLS 1L taking questions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 10:22:53 PM »
see, I really want to ask questions, but somehow I feel like it would be arrogant to even imagine myself at HLS...

What the hell, I'm gonna ask questions!

How big does it feel?
Do you like your section? What are your classmates like?
What, to you, are the top 3 most awesome things about studying law at Harvard?
CLS 2011

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:51:13 PM »
see, I really want to ask questions, but somehow I feel like it would be arrogant to even imagine myself at HLS...

What the hell, I'm gonna ask questions!

How big does it feel?
Do you like your section? What are your classmates like?
What, to you, are the top 3 most awesome things about studying law at Harvard?

Hey, don't count yourself out! I was saying the same thing around this time last year. Like any other school, Harvard has its admissions gray areas, and plenty of us sneak across them every year. ;)

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1) It doesn't feel *that* big to me, but I came from a huge state school 1600 students is nothing. Even more than that, as a 1L your view of the HLS world can really feel limited to the 80 people in your section. But! This is not a bad thing! Apart from the student body, HLS really is a huge place more stuff going on, etc., than you feel like you can manage during your first semester. Don't underestimate the social, mental, and academic utility of having as an anchor a group of people going through the very same horizon-expansion shouldn't be underestimated. Which leads into the second question:

2) My section is great! We don't have any real gunners, and improbably enough we all get along pretty well. To rebut the two stereotypes that you tend to hear about Harvard in general, the number of antisocial people I've met here (either due to hopeless elitism or hopless nerdism) has been surprisingly low. Cliques always form, yes, but I don't think there's anyone in my section who doesn't like it overall.

3) Let's see... From most to least specific, I'd say the oh-so-generous LIPP program (essentially subsidizes careers in public service), the availability of opportunities (I'm interested particularly in two fields, and the foremost people in each teach here), and the general coolness of the students (as above).

TheJudged

• Nulli Secundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 10:54:06 PM »
Which section?

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:48:54 PM »
ok, Electric Counterpoint--what do you think made HLS invite you?

:)
CLS 2011

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 12:22:06 AM »
How hard is the work there in classes. Do you feel overwhelmed everyday or did you have good study habits before HLS. What do you think was the main factors that helped you break the black box enigma that is HYS admissions. Thanks for remembering the little people lol

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 10:56:51 AM »

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 11:00:12 AM »
ok, Electric Counterpoint--what do you think made HLS invite you?

:)

To be honest, I don't know. My grades and LSAT were median, so maybe the boost came from my academic interests, or my thesis, or my interview, or the fact that I'm from the Midwest, or ...

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 11:06:27 AM »
How hard is the work there in classes. Do you feel overwhelmed everyday or did you have good study habits before HLS. What do you think was the main factors that helped you break the black box enigma that is HYS admissions. Thanks for remembering the little people lol

Well, it's not an either/or proposition! After a few months in class, I'm no longer feeling "overwhelmed" every night, but there is a lot to do. And it's all self-directed, meaning that you have to bring some good study skills with you and be willing to modify them for the new environment.

I will say this, though: there are different degrees of work/preparation. Because everyone's basically getting a decent job when they graduate no matter where they stood in the class, the pressure to give it your all every night for three years isn't there. This hasn't shown up yet (your average HLS 1L has been succeeding at school his or her whole life, and I think we all assume we're going to make law review...), but I've heard of the trend from 2Ls and 3Ls.

turtle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 02:22:28 PM »
Not to go ahead of myself, but I am still curious. Which cell phone carrier has the best reception in and around the law school?

Is AT&T really bad?