Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NonTrad 1L Survival Tips?  (Read 3606 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: NonTrad 1L Survival Tips?
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 12:49:18 PM »
How are things going???  What did you end up doing?  How's the second semester so far?  If you can, give us a little update.

Doing much better this semester, thanks! I actually did treat law school like my 9-5 job and ended up kicking ass on my finals, thank you very much. Some of the nontrads and I formed an OWLS group (older, wiser law students) and I'm starting to enjoy being here a little more. I've also made a little bit of an attitude adjustment and reminded myself to be happy to be here, so that has actually helped out a lot. So has taking some time for me.

There's a ton of generic advice out there about how to be successful in law school, from using multiple-colored highlighters to annotate your casebooks, to "treating it like a marathon and not a sprint." Different things work for different people. For me, it's just a matter of staying ahead of the reading, doing the E&E's and outlining throughout the semester. Also, finding a support group has been key.

What should you all do the summer before law school? Find out what law firms in your target market hire 1L's. Make a list. Update your resume and cover letter. Enjoy your summer. Go to orientation and then plug away at school. After Dec. 1, send out your cover letters and resumes to that list while your fellow students are just starting to outline. Then follow-up when grades come out. I have a couple of interviews lined up already, and I'm hopelessly confused this semester, but I'm optimistic that it will work itself out (as the upperclassmen have assured me this is par for the course with each new semester).

Good luck, nontrads. Seek one another out and remember to be happy about why you chose your school. If it is possible to transfer up, I will probably pursue it to help my career prospects, but if I can't I will be glad to be here. So meanwhile, Go Gators!
Vanderbilt 2010

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 01:21:57 PM »
What should you all do the summer before law school? Find out what law firms in your target market hire 1L's. Make a list. Update your resume and cover letter. Enjoy your summer. Go to orientation and then plug away at school. After Dec. 1, send out your cover letters and resumes to that list while your fellow students are just starting to outline. Then follow-up when grades come out. I have a couple of interviews lined up already, and I'm hopelessly confused this semester, but I'm optimistic that it will work itself out (as the upperclassmen have assured me this is par for the course with each new semester).

This looks like really great advice, and I haven't seen it anywhere else.  Thanks for the insight!

I'm glad things are looking up for you :)
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

TRad

• Hope springs eternal
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 10:25:53 PM »
Loved the advice about researching firms that hire 1L's!

I'm a teacher and hoping to leave that for W & M or U. Richmond Law this fall.

I was planning on working my tail off this summer to put some money aside.  But maybe I should rethink that and savor my last summer of relaxation with my kids before the law life takes over.

What do you think, OWLS?  More important to make 5 or 6k over the summer or play with the kids (son, 10; daughter, 17 will be a senior in the fall).

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 10:42:59 PM »
How about both? Mayye work halftime making 3K and spending time with the kids? Work part-time to have something to keep you on some kind of schedule. If that's not possible, I say it is up to you, but I would take some time to enjoy myself. Before I started law school, I took a fun summer job and relaxed with family and friends. I felt really refreshed after so many years of working my butt off in a high-pressure environment and was ready to go!

Vanderbilt 2010