Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NonTrad 1L Survival Tips?  (Read 3640 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
NonTrad 1L Survival Tips?
« on: October 23, 2007, 09:04:59 PM »
I made the foolish mistake of leaving my life behind and going it alone to law school in small town in another state. It's just me and the cute pup in the avatar with 2 roommates. Really starting to regret that decision.

I am enjoying the actual work involved in law school, but socially I feel like a 3rd wheel. I am not interested in the things the recent grads are into (the bar scene, keg parties and college football), and most of the non-trads are involved with family, kids, significant others. Other non-trads seem to be embracing the recent grad culture, and I'm just not. Any advice on surviving?

I'm busy with school work, but I am bored out of my mind. The students are nice in class and I enjoy working with them in study groups, but I really don't want to go pound beers with them at happy hour. The only thing going for this college town is the college. If I were 5 years younger, I'd probably be as happy as a clam here.

Vanderbilt 2010

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Re: NonTrad 1L Survival Tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 10:03:33 PM »
I'm sorry you're feeling so lonely.  I live in Gainesville already so it will be a little easier on me if I get in here.  I love this town but it is where I grew up so it's home to me with friends and family nearby; I know that makes a huge difference.

Have you thought about taking up some hobbies?  Maybe an art class?  Golf lessons?  Something like that?  I'm not sure exactly what you're interested in but I know there are a lot of things like that around town.  Also, I don't know if you're religious at all but there are a lot of very nice churches with groups especially targeted to young adults.

There are a lot of activities that have to do with the University and there are a LOT of young college kids running around, but I promise you there is another side to Gainesville, too.  If you want, you can PM me with some of the things you like to do and I'll try to offer some suggestions.

To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 12:46:52 PM »
a friend of mine in my master's program last year had a really impressive tendency to throw herself in to the life of the city.  she managed to find and join every touch football league, running club, women's organization imaginable.  granted, we were in a larger city than gainesville, but i can't imagine there aren't some non-school related groups to join or organizations to volunteer with in the city.  there's no reason to feel like the ONLY activities you can be involved in are through UF...if you really don't want to socialize with the kids in your class, look for stuff to join off-campus!
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 01:24:29 PM »
You should find BoldAsLove and hang out with her. She's way cool, and her circle of friends would probably love to have someone in the law school hanging out with them.

EdinTally

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
Cant help except to offer support.  You are not alone  ;D 

Just remember if it was important enough to start, its important enough to finish.  Keep your chin up!!

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 05:04:54 PM »
god help me if i'm ever too old to pound beers...
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 05:08:36 PM »
god help me if i'm ever too old to pound beers...
Haha.  :D

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 10:04:48 AM »
Been there myself last semester. It was tough enough at first getting back into the swing of doing schoolwork plus the added stress of reciting in class. Thursdays and Fridays were when the students went out to the local pub to knock back a few...how in the world they managed to go to Friday classes is beyond me. Anyway, I don't know how old you are but you should be able to find something to do locally. Volunteering is one way to get out, especially if it's not law related. Some of the other non-trads might do stuff. Toward the end of the semester I found a few upperclass nontrads with who I shared some of the same non-academic interests so we've been hanging out more.

Don't sequester yourself in a box though. It's bad news.

BoRNnTHeUSA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 05:47:54 PM »
How are things going???  What did you end up doing?  How's the second semester so far?  If you can, give us a little update.
"I believe that what self-centered men have torn down, other-centered men can build up." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 03:03:16 AM »
Non-trad survival tips

10. Forget everything you know about reading and studying from undergrad - this is a whole new ballgame.
9. If you have children, make certain you have solid childcare arrangements and a backup for weekends. Law school professors don't care about your personal life.
8. Stick to a schedule, especially a sleep schedule and try to eat correctly. Get exercise when you can and allow yourself a couple hours each day for yourself, or for you and your family.
7. Sock away as much extra money as you can because the real world cannot distinguish between the income level of a law student (usually living below poverty line) and an attorney in private practice.
6. Do not lose touch with your non-lawschool friends. If there are major catastrophes in their lives, those catastrophes can be turned into practice hypos later.
5. Accept the fact you will learn legalese but remember to speak English with the non-legal world.
4. Your thinking will change but don't fight it. It's natural and eventually you won't remember how you thought before.
3. At least some of your classmates are very young and coming to law school directly from college. Younger law students have a different yardstick for measuring success = grades+class rank+academic honors. They will endlessly obsess over it. Walk away when it gets to be too much. Same advice for upperclassmen who enjoy frightening 1Ls with horror stories.
2. Keep your eye on the prize - it's a marathon, not a sprint. You can't treat it like a 9-to-5 job or you will find yourself on the academic probation train, or worse. You are most likely being graded on a curve so it's no longer an objective standard. You can work very hard and still end up with a B average. Get used to it.
1. You are not stupid. If you were not bright you would not be in law school. No matter how brilliant the answers from your classmates seem, everyone is on the same page.

(Compiled from observation and advice from practicing attorneys; law school professors; and humane 2Ls and 3Ls.