Law School Discussion

why use lsac for applications?

why use lsac for applications?
« on: October 23, 2007, 02:13:26 PM »
What is the advantage of using LSAC To submit your applications? It would seem just as easy to complete them using the schools online applications or regular hard copy ones.

eric

ManTGeo

• HLS 2012!
    • View Profile
Re: why use lsac for applications?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 05:07:24 PM »
The reasons are innumerable. Just trust us.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 05:12:18 PM »
Honestly I think the requirement to register for the LSDAS is kind of ridiculous considering the costs incurred to go through the third party. That being said, you have no choice but to use the LSDAS for your applications. You can send a hard copy of an application in yes, but all ABA accredited schools will require an LSDAS report so you have no choice; you must go through the LSAC in your law school admissions process.

ManTGeo

• HLS 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 05:21:35 PM »
Honestly I think the requirement to register for the LSDAS is kind of ridiculous considering the costs incurred to go through the third party. That being said, you have no choice but to use the LSDAS for your applications. You can send a hard copy of an application in yes, but all ABA accredited schools will require an LSDAS report so you have no choice; you must go through the LSAC in your law school admissions process.

Is this really so ridiculous? For the $120 (or however much it is) that is spent, so much is simplified for both the applicant and the schools. This whole process would be ridiculous if it weren't for LSAC.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 06:37:25 PM »
LSDAS hugely reduces the marginal cost of additional applications, allowing applicants to apply to more schools, allowing schools to rake in application fees and boost their selectivity. It works in everyone's favor.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 07:42:35 PM »

Is this really so ridiculous? For the $120 (or however much it is) that is spent, so much is simplified for both the applicant and the schools. This whole process would be ridiculous if it weren't for LSAC.

Upwards of $250 just to register for the LSDAS and then $12 per LSDAS report on top of the application fee assessed per school that you apply to. I would rather go through the trouble of mailing things in myself and save myself the roughly $360 that I spent total just to register for the LSDAS and the 11 LSDAS reports I had generated. My school does not charge to mail transcripts ---> which is essentially all that the LSDAS is.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 08:25:29 PM »

Upwards of $250 just to register for the LSDAS and then $12 per LSDAS report on top of the application fee assessed per school that you apply to. I would rather go through the trouble of mailing things in myself and save myself the roughly $360 that I spent total just to register for the LSDAS and the 11 LSDAS reports I had generated. My school does not charge to mail transcripts ---> which is essentially all that the LSDAS is.

it's upwards of $250 now?  It was about $180 last year.

in any case...LSDAS is quicker and more reliable.  i've heard horror stories about mailed applications.

Matthew

• Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 10:32:03 PM »

LSDAS also controls you LSAT score, which is what allows them to monopolize the process.  It's not just your transcript.  It would also put a much larger burden on your recommendors if they didn't exist.