Law School Discussion

166/ 3.7, trade law ?

166/ 3.7, trade law ?
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:47:50 PM »
I am a canadian who is interested in attending an American university only if it has a specialization in or reputation for excellence in the study of international trade.  Am I likely to be admitted to any good schools with this area of specialization?  I have a publication in an academic journal in this field, and i have good extracurriculars in this field as well. 

also: I am aware that many undergraduates believe that they want to practice "international law" so if you are tempted to inform me of this you can save it.

Re: 166/ 3.7, trade law ?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 01:23:05 PM »
Hey, in case you didn't know, many people want to do international law, maybe you will change your mind.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 01:29:33 PM »
There really are no schools that really "specialize" in international law.
The higher ranked school you get into, the more likely you will be able to do international work. 

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 01:54:54 PM »
what i mean to be asking about, for example, is a school like georgetown which has an institute of international economic law, and also a wide variety of classes on trade.  is that a possibility for me? are there any schools which i could actually get in to which have comparable programs?

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 07:26:31 PM »
With your numbers, you have a decent chance at Cornell
G-town will most likely take you if you apply part time (make sure you check only the part time box and not the both box).

The important thing to remember is that you learn very little that is useful to practice in law school.
What is important is not the program, but what jobs the school gives you access to upon graduation.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 08:50:13 PM »
US News Rankings for International Law.

1.  New York University 
2.  Columbia University (NY)
3.  Georgetown University (DC)
4.  Harvard University (MA)
5.  American University (Washington) (DC)
6.  Yale University (CT)
7.  University of Michigan–Ann Arbor 
8.  George Washington University (DC)
9.  University of California–Berkeley 
10. University of Virginia 
11. Fordham University (NY)
12. Duke University (NC)
13. Northwestern University (IL)
14. Stanford University (CA)
15. Case Western Reserve University (OH)
16. University of Texas–Austin 
17. Cornell University (NY)
18. University of California–Los Angeles 
19. University of the Pacific (McGeorge) (CA)
20. Washington University in St. Louis 
21. University of Minnesota–Twin Cities 
22. University of Washington 

I agree that you should apply to Georgetown part time and I have been told that you can transfer from being a part time student to full time, but this is all heresay. Do you have an Law School Numbers profile. We have identical numbers and I would like to track your cycle.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 09:38:58 PM »
Thanks very much for all of your advice.  I am curious about the part time program at georgetown.  Why is the part time program less competitive?  Do I have no chance at a fulltime degree there?
Also where would U of T fit on that US news ranking?
And no i dont have a numbers profile, sorry, im not sure i know what that is.

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 09:52:01 PM »
Thanks very much for all of your advice.  I am curious about the part time program at georgetown.  Why is the part time program less competitive?  Do I have no chance at a fulltime degree there?
Also where would U of T fit on that US news ranking?
And no i dont have a numbers profile, sorry, im not sure i know what that is.

All part time means for them is that they dont have to report your statistics to USNEWS for rankings. It is just as competitive but allows people with lesser stats a chance to get in. I am almost positive that when you are accepted part time you can transfer to their full time program. Go to www.lawschoolnumbers.com. search the different schools and candidates who are applying.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 12:15:09 PM »
GULC PT is open transfer to GULC FT
I have firsthand and very reliable knowledge.

There is a good reason for this. All you are really doing when transferring after 1L is removing the cap on the # of hours you can take per semester. Both FT and PT people can take classes in mornings and evenings.

And about UT...
Don't go to UT unless you plan to practice in Texas. It places very, very well in Texas and surrounding region- not so much elsewhere. You can do "international" law, but it will most likely be cross-border transactional stuff involving energy companies.

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 04:17:02 PM »
Thank you again for your responses. I did get that you meant U of Toronto. Thanks for clarifying.

If I were to accept an offer of PT at georgetown, and then transfer to FT after L1, is it still possible to graduate in 3 years?