Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 319996 times)

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2590 on: July 12, 2009, 10:12:12 PM »
Thanks for the advice y'all.

BUstang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2591 on: July 13, 2009, 10:58:42 AM »
How well does Tulane place in Texas? Any graphs/facts someone could post in here?

cincyboi

• View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: July 13, 2009, 10:28:44 PM »
Accepted with advanced standing (transfer student) to Tulane and Alabama. I originally placed Bama as my #1 choice b/c I'm automatically on a journal with my grades from my previous school and the low cost of tuition. However, Tulane has a broader reputation but it comes with a huge price tag (60k tuition/expenses). Any thoughts on which route to go?

WaveLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: July 14, 2009, 02:00:04 PM »
Accepted with advanced standing (transfer student) to Tulane and Alabama. I originally placed Bama as my #1 choice b/c I'm automatically on a journal with my grades from my previous school and the low cost of tuition. However, Tulane has a broader reputation but it comes with a huge price tag (60k tuition/expenses). Any thoughts on which route to go?

In this economy, I would go as cheaply as possible. If you don't have any scholarship at Tulane, I would go to Bama. Not that we don't want you, but, it is going to be hard to get a job anyway, might as well save 100k.

Waving Variable

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2594 on: July 14, 2009, 02:02:14 PM »
I would agree with Wavelaw, EXCEPT if you're only interested in remaining in Louisiana.  Then, Tulane might give you a better chance at landing a job here.

dempsey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2595 on: July 14, 2009, 03:34:03 PM »
Just how hard is it for Tulane Law students to find a job right now?

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: July 15, 2009, 05:33:42 AM »

Tough call. Even though Bama is higher ranked, I think Tulane is more "prestigious," more nationally known, and has better career prospects. That's why I decided not to apply to Bama. I think Tulane places better everywhere outside of Alabama (though it's somewhat limited too). But given the economic situation, I'm quite worried about the debt too. I think if you're happy to live and work in Alabama, or if you know you want to do something in government or public interest, than go with Bama. Otherwise go with Tulane.

WaveLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: July 15, 2009, 12:01:28 PM »
Just how hard is it for Tulane Law students to find a job right now?

I would say it is harder to find a paying job while in school than in the past. A lot of people took government internships and are getting tremendous experience.

Grades will always matter, but I would say, as botbot alluded to in reference to smaller firms, it is more about your personal networking. I networked and got lucky.  More than ever, I think you have to seek out a situation. Do not wait for on campus interviews to save the day. If off-campus programs are any indication, there are not going to be many firms travelling to see us this year. That said, think hard about targeting your efforts. Everyone will be resume dumping the obvious suspects (big firms, clerkships).  See if you can find a log to turn over that few law students have thought of. (i.e. consider approaching small firms and solo practitioners for advice/ summer work). My summer job came about from a simple email to a practitioner to discuss his field of the law.

toastie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2598 on: July 18, 2009, 11:56:19 PM »
Quick question, anyone ever look at Papillon apartments? It is part of Tulane graduate housing? Any reviews? I can't find anything online that shows pictures of the actual inside.

WaveLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: July 22, 2009, 02:33:43 PM »
Quick question, anyone ever look at Papillon apartments? It is part of Tulane graduate housing? Any reviews? I can't find anything online that shows pictures of the actual inside.

Don't do it. They are no cheaper than the rental market and someone told me it is very sketchy at night.