Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 316960 times)

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2580 on: July 09, 2009, 09:28:59 PM »
hmm. Feeling dismissed. Guess I'm done here. Best of luck.

No offense Dietyomajesty. Actually, I'd prefer to live in a more suburban area anyway. I've been living in extremely conjested Asian cities for the last two years and need some space anyway.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: July 09, 2009, 10:03:23 PM »
Thanks. I've been to New Orleans, but don't really know the city all that well. That having been said, I have some friends who went to Tulane and it seems like robberies around the Tulane area are not uncommon.
I do have a car.
I'm also looking at Gretna and River Ridge. Anyone know those areas?

We've parked an easy to rob Accord on our street every night for two years - no crime.  NOLA's property crime rate isn't notably high (and is lower than a number of large cities).  Robberies are not that uncommon in any densely populated area - you will miss out on the best part of NOLA if you live in the suburbs.

That said, each of the suburbs you listed are functional.  Your commute will be between 20 minutes to 1.3 hours depending on traffic.

WaveLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: July 10, 2009, 10:25:40 AM »
Thanks. I've been to New Orleans, but don't really know the city all that well. That having been said, I have some friends who went to Tulane and it seems like robberies around the Tulane area are not uncommon.
I do have a car.
I'm also looking at Gretna and River Ridge. Anyone know those areas?

We've parked an easy to rob Accord on our street every night for two years - no crime.  NOLA's property crime rate isn't notably high (and is lower than a number of large cities).  Robberies are not that uncommon in any densely populated area - you will miss out on the best part of NOLA if you live in the suburbs.

That said, each of the suburbs you listed are functional.  Your commute will be between 20 minutes to 1.3 hours depending on traffic.

Same here. I considered Metarie or other areas because I thought they might be "safer".  God, I am glad I decided to live close to school. New Orleans is a big part of why Tulane is worth it.  I, like botbot, have had no issues with crime in two years. I don't take stupid chances, but I don't live with a bunker mentality either. I get out, walk, and enjoy this city. That said, there are plenty of areas you definitely want to avoid.

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: July 10, 2009, 08:14:40 PM »
Well, I don't think living in Metairie constitutes having a "bunker mentality."
I went to undergrad in Los Angeles and lived in South Central LA. My roommate got mugged and we saw a dead body being taken away by an ambulance once. For a young, single guy it's fine to live in that kind of place I guess, but I'm in my late 20's now and have a fiancee from another country who doesn't really know America very well, so I'm going to skip the hassle of living in the city center. I still intend to take advanyage of what New Orleans has to offer.

BTW, what is the parking situation on campus?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: July 11, 2009, 05:22:51 PM »
I went to undergrad in Los Angeles and lived in South Central LA. My roommate got mugged and we saw a dead body being taken away by an ambulance once. For a young, single guy it's fine to live in that kind of place I guess, but I'm in my late 20's now and have a fiancee from another country who doesn't really know America very well, so I'm going to skip the hassle of living in the city center. I still intend to take advanyage of what New Orleans has to offer.

Uptown New Orleans != South Central LA.  I live 60 feet a away from a home that recently sold for $850k.  I walk down Carrollton every day to eat/drink/buy groceries.  There was a purse-snatching down the street that made it into the local Carrollton newsletter.  I'm not saying you shouldn't think about these kind of things but in my two years in New Orleans I've never seen: a dead body, a shooting, a mugging, a robbery, etc.  I've also never purchased crack, walked through a terrible neighborhood while intoxicated, etc.  Come visit - if you still want the suburbs, well, I'd be shocked.

My fiance, whom I've never once felt was unsafe in New Orleans, literally LOLed when she read your post.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: July 11, 2009, 05:33:51 PM »
There is a garage not extremely far from the law school - though the walk can be brutal in the heat.

The Loyola garage used to be a decent option, but they've become pretty good at booting your car.

I park in the neighborhood near school, but I rarely stay on campus for more than 2 hour (the maximum allowed parking time).

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: July 11, 2009, 11:00:32 PM »

Uptown New Orleans != South Central LA.  I live 60 feet a away from a home that recently sold for $850k.  I walk down Carrollton every day to eat/drink/buy groceries.  There was a purse-snatching down the street that made it into the local Carrollton newsletter.  I'm not saying you shouldn't think about these kind of things but in my two years in New Orleans I've never seen: a dead body, a shooting, a mugging, a robbery, etc.  I've also never purchased crack, walked through a terrible neighborhood while intoxicated, etc.  Come visit - if you still want the suburbs, well, I'd be shocked.

My fiance, whom I've never once felt was unsafe in New Orleans, literally LOLed when she read your post.

As I said in a previous post, I have been to New Orleans. I have also visited Tulane. I came down once to visit a friend. She had some other friends over and one told a story about how he'd been mugged the night before right outside his apartment in a place close to campus. After he told the story, a couple other people said they'd had their cars broken into.

I didn't mean to imply that Uptown New Orleans is as bad as South Central LA. This conversation is beginning to bore me.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: July 12, 2009, 01:52:38 PM »
As I said in a previous post, I have been to New Orleans. I have also visited Tulane. I came down once to visit a friend. She had some other friends over and one told a story about how he'd been mugged the night before right outside his apartment in a place close to campus. After he told the story, a couple other people said they'd had their cars broken into.

I didn't mean to imply that Uptown New Orleans is as bad as South Central LA. This conversation is beginning to bore me.

Sounds as though you took a "look how bad I got robbed" pissing match too seriously.  Enjoy the burbs.

WaveLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: July 12, 2009, 03:51:29 PM »

Hey, not implying you had a bunker mentality. I have a young child, so, safety was a concern. I thought I would have had a bunker mentality when I first moved here, but, that went away pretty fast. I certainly can empathize with where you are coming from, don't take offense.  The north shore is a hell of a commute, but I hear it is very nice and clean. I know at least one person that did that commute.

As to parking:  DO NOT waste money on a parking pass.  There is 2 hour parking in the neighborhoods and you can get around and move  your car in between classes. Your 1L classes are spread out, so that shouldn't be an issue. But, be sure to park in a different zone each time to avoid the parking nazis.
You can park on sections of St. Charles all day, but you have to get there early to grab a spot.  Also, there is a park and ride on the river side of Broadway. I know several people who used that.

Good luck with the house hunt, I certainly can understand your concerns.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2589 on: July 12, 2009, 05:48:06 PM »
To add a bit to this housing discussion - I agree that NOLA is a perfectly safe place to live.  I live near what I'd honestly call a "borderline" area and have been fine for the past year.  By borderline, I mean my street and area right around me is patrolled by private patrol but the next block over isn't and had some crime over there. 

The key is just to check the area out both morning, afternoon, and night before signing a lease if you're nervous. Knock on the neighbor's door and ask them about how they feel the neighborhood is. If they won't answer the door in fear, maybe that's a bad sign...; but most likely they will ease your fears.

Parking near Tulane is possible. If you have early class, St. Charles is an easy walk to TLS and beautiful, but you need to be there around 8am to stand a chance at a spot.  There are a few streets near campus where parking dept does not patrol (mostly dead end streets) so those are possible, but I park there daily, so don't steal all my spots!  8)
Tulane Class of 2011