Law School Discussion

The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?

Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2570 on: July 09, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »
Hey, I'll be starting in the fall and I'm looking into apartments now. Does anyone live in Metairie or know anything about it? Is it a safe area? How long does it takew to drive to Tulane and is there any public transportation there?

I'm not too worried about safety myself, but my fiancee will be coming. She's from another country and I think she be shocked enough by New Orleans without getting out apartment broken into.

« Reply #2571 on: July 09, 2009, 06:10:22 PM »
I considered Metairie last year. It's do-able, but probably only if you have a car.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metairie,_Louisiana

Honestly y'all, if you keep your wits about you and stay in well-populated areas, you should be fine in the City. As soon as you start to drive around, you'll get a good sense of the areas to avoid.

As far as housing for dogs, it's going to be on a case-by-case basis. Many duplex owners will be fine with it; you just have to search around.

Have you all started looking yet?

« Reply #2572 on: July 09, 2009, 06:38:44 PM »
I considered Metairie last year. It's do-able, but probably only if you have a car.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metairie,_Louisiana

Honestly y'all, if you keep your wits about you and stay in well-populated areas, you should be fine in the City. As soon as you start to drive around, you'll get a good sense of the areas to avoid.

As far as housing for dogs, it's going to be on a case-by-case basis. Many duplex owners will be fine with it; you just have to search around.

Have you all started looking yet?

Thanks. I've been to New Orleans, but don't really know the city all that well. That having been said, I have some friends who went to Tulane and it seems like robberies around the Tulane area are not uncommon.
I do have a car.
I'm also looking at Gretna and River Ridge. Anyone know those areas?

« Reply #2573 on: July 09, 2009, 07:17:25 PM »
hmm. Feeling dismissed. Guess I'm done here. Best of luck.

« Reply #2574 on: July 09, 2009, 07:28:59 PM »
hmm. Feeling dismissed. Guess I'm done here. Best of luck.

No offense Dietyomajesty. Actually, I'd prefer to live in a more suburban area anyway. I've been living in extremely conjested Asian cities for the last two years and need some space anyway.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: July 09, 2009, 08:03:23 PM »
Thanks. I've been to New Orleans, but don't really know the city all that well. That having been said, I have some friends who went to Tulane and it seems like robberies around the Tulane area are not uncommon.
I do have a car.

We've parked an easy to rob Accord on our street every night for two years - no crime.  NOLA's property crime rate isn't notably high (and is lower than a number of large cities).  Robberies are not that uncommon in any densely populated area - you will miss out on the best part of NOLA if you live in the suburbs.

That said, each of the suburbs you listed are functional.  Your commute will be between 20 minutes to 1.3 hours depending on traffic.

« Reply #2576 on: July 10, 2009, 08:25:40 AM »
I do have a car.

We've parked an easy to rob Accord on our street every night for two years - no crime.  NOLA's property crime rate isn't notably high (and is lower than a number of large cities).  Robberies are not that uncommon in any densely populated area - you will miss out on the best part of NOLA if you live in the suburbs.

That said, each of the suburbs you listed are functional.  Your commute will be between 20 minutes to 1.3 hours depending on traffic.

Same here. I considered Metarie or other areas because I thought they might be "safer".  God, I am glad I decided to live close to school. New Orleans is a big part of why Tulane is worth it.  I, like botbot, have had no issues with crime in two years. I don't take stupid chances, but I don't live with a bunker mentality either. I get out, walk, and enjoy this city. That said, there are plenty of areas you definitely want to avoid.

« Reply #2577 on: July 10, 2009, 06:14:40 PM »
Well, I don't think living in Metairie constitutes having a "bunker mentality."
I went to undergrad in Los Angeles and lived in South Central LA. My roommate got mugged and we saw a dead body being taken away by an ambulance once. For a young, single guy it's fine to live in that kind of place I guess, but I'm in my late 20's now and have a fiancee from another country who doesn't really know America very well, so I'm going to skip the hassle of living in the city center. I still intend to take advanyage of what New Orleans has to offer.

BTW, what is the parking situation on campus?

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: July 11, 2009, 03:22:51 PM »
Well, I don't think living in Metairie constitutes having a "bunker mentality."
I went to undergrad in Los Angeles and lived in South Central LA. My roommate got mugged and we saw a dead body being taken away by an ambulance once. For a young, single guy it's fine to live in that kind of place I guess, but I'm in my late 20's now and have a fiancee from another country who doesn't really know America very well, so I'm going to skip the hassle of living in the city center. I still intend to take advanyage of what New Orleans has to offer.

BTW, what is the parking situation on campus?

Uptown New Orleans != South Central LA.  I live 60 feet a away from a home that recently sold for $850k.  I walk down Carrollton every day to eat/drink/buy groceries.  There was a purse-snatching down the street that made it into the local Carrollton newsletter.  I'm not saying you shouldn't think about these kind of things but in my two years in New Orleans I've never seen: a dead body, a shooting, a mugging, a robbery, etc.  I've also never purchased crack, walked through a terrible neighborhood while intoxicated, etc.  Come visit - if you still want the suburbs, well, I'd be shocked.

My fiance, whom I've never once felt was unsafe in New Orleans, literally LOLed when she read your post.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: July 11, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »
There is a garage not extremely far from the law school - though the walk can be brutal in the heat.

The Loyola garage used to be a decent option, but they've become pretty good at booting your car.

I park in the neighborhood near school, but I rarely stay on campus for more than 2 hour (the maximum allowed parking time).