Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 318541 times)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2570 on: June 17, 2009, 05:35:28 PM »
So, all you upperclassmen, how bad is it really in terms of the job market right now coming out with a Tulane degree?

Big firms have cut hiring to a trickle.  Biglaw isn't a given even at top 10%.

Market is within reach of top 20%, but I wouldn't feel comfortable without 200+ resumes (and even then you might strike out).

Sub-25 attorney firms are, as always, a crapshoot.  Obviously grades help, but connections within the firm are significantly more important.

No matter what market you want to land in, send applications to NOLA firms.  They are still hiring and <3 Tulane.

Waving Variable

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2571 on: July 07, 2009, 06:53:48 PM »
Seems like we have a large number of folks transferring this year from the 1L class.

I think I've heard of close to 10 putting in applications, if not outright transferring.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2572 on: July 08, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »
I've heard the same - however i've only heard of a few successful applications thus far. To hell with all of them!
Tulane Class of 2011

dempsey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2573 on: July 08, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »
why so many attempted transfers?

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2574 on: July 08, 2009, 02:47:34 PM »
IMO - our class had a large # of people who didn't particularly care for New Orleans or Tulane and were from larger metro areas. Plus, I figure the pressure to transfer up in the current economy is higher than in previous years.
Tulane Class of 2011

toastie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2575 on: July 09, 2009, 03:58:01 PM »
Hey guys, I am transferring in as a 2L this coming semester. I know I am lazy, but combing through 274 pages is not my cup of tea. Any suggestions on housing that is pet friendly. I want to bring my dog, but she doesn't have to come if I can't find pet friendly housing. Thanks guys, look forward to seeing you in August.

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: July 09, 2009, 08:00:28 PM »
Hey, I'll be starting in the fall and I'm looking into apartments now. Does anyone live in Metairie or know anything about it? Is it a safe area? How long does it takew to drive to Tulane and is there any public transportation there?

I'm not too worried about safety myself, but my fiancee will be coming. She's from another country and I think she be shocked enough by New Orleans without getting out apartment broken into.

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: July 09, 2009, 08:10:22 PM »
I considered Metairie last year. It's do-able, but probably only if you have a car.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metairie,_Louisiana

Honestly y'all, if you keep your wits about you and stay in well-populated areas, you should be fine in the City. As soon as you start to drive around, you'll get a good sense of the areas to avoid.

As far as housing for dogs, it's going to be on a case-by-case basis. Many duplex owners will be fine with it; you just have to search around.

Have you all started looking yet?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: July 09, 2009, 08:38:44 PM »
I considered Metairie last year. It's do-able, but probably only if you have a car.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metairie,_Louisiana

Honestly y'all, if you keep your wits about you and stay in well-populated areas, you should be fine in the City. As soon as you start to drive around, you'll get a good sense of the areas to avoid.

As far as housing for dogs, it's going to be on a case-by-case basis. Many duplex owners will be fine with it; you just have to search around.

Have you all started looking yet?

Thanks. I've been to New Orleans, but don't really know the city all that well. That having been said, I have some friends who went to Tulane and it seems like robberies around the Tulane area are not uncommon.
I do have a car.
I'm also looking at Gretna and River Ridge. Anyone know those areas?

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: July 09, 2009, 09:17:25 PM »
hmm. Feeling dismissed. Guess I'm done here. Best of luck.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.