Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 315876 times)

STLGirlAtHeart

• View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2520 on: April 21, 2009, 10:06:15 PM »
Hey guys, I have a question about Tulane. How accessible are the professors? Are they typically open to providing extra help for students that show initiative? Interacting with professors during office hours was an integral part of my academic success in undergrad, and I would like to continue this during law school.

From what I hear, they love it when students come talk to them.

bigcheetah

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2521 on: April 21, 2009, 10:24:53 PM »
Do many students at Tulane seek help from professors outside of class? Also, what is your favorite and least favorite thing about Tulane?

bigcheetah

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2522 on: April 21, 2009, 11:12:06 PM »
btw thanks for answering my other question  :)

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: April 21, 2009, 11:45:27 PM »
P.S. When did this thread get so hostile? I liked coming here because it was Tulane folks giving other (sometimes potential) Tulane folks advice and venting about how much law school sucks. I'd really like all the unpleasantness to stop. This was a happy place not too long ago. I'm not criticizing anyone for voicing their opinion, but can we please just keep this thread positive? 

Sorry.  I am at least partially responsible.  I'll try to compensate by saying something positive.

That puppy in LawDog's avatar is really, really cute.  :)

Thanks for the compliment, but you're completely responsible...I did not start the fight, YOU DID. I came here to be a positive part of a community, and I have as much to offer here as anyone else (and more than many), but I am not treated like it. Much of what I say is dismissed out-of-hand, by folks who clearly have NOT done their research...I mean true, in-depth research. I feel some of it racial prejudice. But what kills me is that I say things that many experts have backed up, and people still fight with me.

I'll let that be the end of it...for now. Congrats and good luck to you all!  :)

LOL.  Sure, I'm completely responsible.

Cute puppy!  :)

Truce? lol.

BTW, where are you going to school? And no movie of the week stuff either...I want the real...

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: April 22, 2009, 06:15:22 AM »
P.S. When did this thread get so hostile? I liked coming here because it was Tulane folks giving other (sometimes potential) Tulane folks advice and venting about how much law school sucks. I'd really like all the unpleasantness to stop. This was a happy place not too long ago. I'm not criticizing anyone for voicing their opinion, but can we please just keep this thread positive? 

Sorry.  I am at least partially responsible.  I'll try to compensate by saying something positive.

That puppy in LawDog's avatar is really, really cute.  :)

Thanks for the compliment, but you're completely responsible...I did not start the fight, YOU DID. I came here to be a positive part of a community, and I have as much to offer here as anyone else (and more than many), but I am not treated like it. Much of what I say is dismissed out-of-hand, by folks who clearly have NOT done their research...I mean true, in-depth research. I feel some of it racial prejudice. But what kills me is that I say things that many experts have backed up, and people still fight with me.

I'll let that be the end of it...for now. Congrats and good luck to you all!  :)

LOL.  Sure, I'm completely responsible.

Cute puppy!  :)

Truce? lol.

BTW, where are you going to school? And no movie of the week stuff either...I want the real...

In this thread, at least.  I'm trying to be courteous to the actual Tulane folks.  ;)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2525 on: April 22, 2009, 12:30:16 PM »
I've talked to profs on a few occasions and found them glad to talk to me. Some are not ok with emailing them questions but they're all fine with stopping by the office.

Least favorite thing about Tulane is probably some aspects of New Orleans. I live in a nice neighborhood, as does my girlfriend. Both of us had had attempted break ins, my car broken into once, and generally some creepy vibes.  We're also cat people, so the large dog recommendation does not really hold for us :) The key is, buy into a safe area though. Nothing bad has happened because we're vigilent, have alarm systems and neighborhoods have private patrol.

I love private patrol, their response time has been approx 90 secs every time I've needed them vs. NOPD may/may not decide to show up.
Tulane Class of 2011

bigcheetah

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2526 on: April 22, 2009, 06:53:43 PM »
Ok, so are you saying that if I go there I should try to live in an area that is not as nice, and that if I do this my chances of attempted break-in will be greatly decreased? Also, what is this large dog recommendation? People recommend that you have a large dog in New Orleans? Lastly, do you not have a favorite thing about Tulane?

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: April 22, 2009, 11:28:06 PM »
What is the deal with summer school fin aid, I am taking five hours so I have fed loans, does anyone know when the loans will come in?

STLGirlAtHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: April 23, 2009, 12:09:29 AM »
I've talked to profs on a few occasions and found them glad to talk to me. Some are not ok with emailing them questions but they're all fine with stopping by the office.

Least favorite thing about Tulane is probably some aspects of New Orleans. I live in a nice neighborhood, as does my girlfriend. Both of us had had attempted break ins, my car broken into once, and generally some creepy vibes.  We're also cat people, so the large dog recommendation does not really hold for us :) The key is, buy into a safe area though. Nothing bad has happened because we're vigilent, have alarm systems and neighborhoods have private patrol.

I love private patrol, their response time has been approx 90 secs every time I've needed them vs. NOPD may/may not decide to show up.

Yeah, you want to live in a nice neighborhood. The thing about New Orleans, though, is that there isn't a truly safe neighborhood. It's completely true that NOLA is "checkerboard". One block will be amazingly charming and lovely and it will look like nothing bad has ever happened there, and never could. But then you cross the street and you're in scary land.

That doesn't mean, though, that something bad is definitely going to happen. You just have to be smart. Always be aware of your surroundings, lock your doors (I know too many people who don't), don't go for a jog after dark, and pretty much take every precaution your parents and teachers ever taught you to take. Don't let your guard down, and don't ever walk by yourself at 5 am. Ever. Anywhere. That goes just as much for guys as girls.

That being said, I think I'm going to move. I have an amazing apartment and my neighbors are super sweet, but there have been 2 shootings within 2 blocks of my apartment this semester alone. Not cool.

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2529 on: April 23, 2009, 12:19:37 PM »
I live two blocks off of broadway close to campus and I've never had any incidents in my neck of the woods. Although, my friend who lives on my same street but is about five blocks north of me had a break-in last semester. So, my only advice is to actual visit the place before you decide to rent it. You'll be able to tell if it's a nice neighborhood or not. And yeah, if it's really late, don't walk alone. Common sense is the best defense.

My fool proof plan for being safe? If you find yourself at a bar around 4 AM, just stay until daylight and then walk home. It's always worked out for me Seeing the sunrise from Snake and Jake's is a rite of passage, anyways.
Tulane c/o 2011