Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 317605 times)

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2440 on: March 17, 2009, 11:57:07 PM »
http://classschedule.tulane.edu/

Classes are up for Summer 2009 and Fall 2009.

So, which ones are easiest/have teachers that don't cold call?

Houck is Houck, but I loved Natural Resources. I'm here for environmental law, though.
Millan (Hazardous Waste) doesn't cold call and his exam is take home. His class is horribly, miserably boring, though. I surfed the Internet the entire time.
Shields (Historic Preservation) doesn't cold call, and if they are still offering it as a seminar, your entire grade is attendance, a paper, and a powerpoint presentation.

Anyone who as questions about the environmental law program, feel free to PM me.

I was interested in HP, but I heard today it is sucktastic. It was 3d hand though. Thoughts?

I wish I could take the professor and not the class, but I am crim to the bone. Business/ transactional stuff makes me get the hives. Metzger/ Hoeffel are about it.

Why do I feel like there is going to be yet another pile of poo I could care less about that i have to take before I can get to the good stuff?

even worse is my feeling that this pile of poo is the good stuff

...I've got some bad news for y'all...

ohhhh, boy. are we done yet?

midwesterner

• View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: March 18, 2009, 12:36:06 PM »
If I were to do well enough at Tulane to keep my scholarship and finish right around the 50%, what kind of realistic job outlook could I expect?  Location?  Starting salary? ???

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: March 18, 2009, 04:12:33 PM »
If I were to do well enough at Tulane to keep my scholarship and finish right around the 50%, what kind of realistic job outlook could I expect?  Location?  Starting salary? ???

You would have a 3.1 from a law school with a great reputation in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and NYC.  You will not get biglaw unless you are extraordinary.  DOJ / Federal Clerkships aren't possible.  You could still get market in a variety of Southern cities - although odds are slim.  There are plenty of other legal jobs available that you would be positioned to obtain.  Midlaw, small firms, non-doj government, in-house, etc.

Waving Variable

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2443 on: March 18, 2009, 10:36:15 PM »
Professors to avoid for next year?

Professors you love?

STLGirlAtHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: March 19, 2009, 12:07:37 PM »

Houck is Houck, but I loved Natural Resources. I'm here for environmental law, though.
Millan (Hazardous Waste) doesn't cold call and his exam is take home. His class is horribly, miserably boring, though. I surfed the Internet the entire time.
Shields (Historic Preservation) doesn't cold call, and if they are still offering it as a seminar, your entire grade is attendance, a paper, and a powerpoint presentation.

Anyone who as questions about the environmental law program, feel free to PM me.

I was interested in HP, but I heard today it is sucktastic. It was 3d hand though. Thoughts?

I wish I could take the professor and not the class, but I am crim to the bone. Business/ transactional stuff makes me get the hives. Metzger/ Hoeffel are about it.

Why do I feel like there is going to be yet another pile of poo I could care less about that i have to take before I can get to the good stuff?

Historic Preservation sucks when you're actually sitting there in class. He drones on and on and on about historic preservation in New Orleans only. I learned nothing from the class time. He sends out an attendance sheet, though, so you have to be there.

On the bright side, he rarely cold calls. I stopped doing my reading after the second class and it didn't make a difference. The paper wasn't bad to write. I used pretty much all internet sources. It was almost like writing a term paper for undergrad. The 15 minute presentation was also easy.

So, if you want two easy credits and you don't mind surfing the internet for two straight hours a week, then you should take the class.

NOLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: March 19, 2009, 06:06:10 PM »
what does the "instructor's approval required" thingy mean?

Do I need goods grades or something?   Cause I sure don't have those! haha.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: March 19, 2009, 09:01:54 PM »

Historic Preservation sucks when you're actually sitting there in class. He drones on and on and on about historic preservation in New Orleans only. I learned nothing from the class time. He sends out an attendance sheet, though, so you have to be there.

On the bright side, he rarely cold calls. I stopped doing my reading after the second class and it didn't make a difference. The paper wasn't bad to write. I used pretty much all internet sources. It was almost like writing a term paper for undergrad. The 15 minute presentation was also easy.

So, if you want two easy credits and you don't mind surfing the internet for two straight hours a week, then you should take the class.

Danke. Sounds horrific.

Waving Variable

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2447 on: March 24, 2009, 02:31:04 PM »
anybody know how much dough a Lexis student rep makes?

Leverandon

• AOL Instant Messenger - NadoSteve
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2448 on: March 27, 2009, 12:43:55 AM »
Hey guys, I'm in at Tulane with $23,500 per year in scholarship money. I'm pretty excited. As of now, I'm leaning pretty hard toward going to Tulane. I'll be visiting on the 17th. Any other admitted students visiting that weekend?

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2449 on: March 30, 2009, 11:07:31 AM »
Does anyone know the going rate for research assistant positions at Tulane? Me needs money this summer baaaad.
Tulane Class of 2011