Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 317049 times)

midwesterner

• View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2430 on: March 12, 2009, 01:56:31 PM »
So does anyone here have a grasp of what opportunities are available for post-grads wanting to remain in NOLA?  What kind of jobs are out there?  Is Tulane preferenced?  What does it take to get NOLA BigLaw - top 10%?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: March 12, 2009, 05:07:19 PM »
So does anyone here have a grasp of what opportunities are available for post-grads wanting to remain in NOLA?  What kind of jobs are out there?  Is Tulane preferenced?  What does it take to get NOLA BigLaw - top 10%?

More than a few Top 25-40% students have NOLA biglaw.  NOLA/Miss/Bama BIGLAW recruiting is pretty much the same as they were last year, as the firms aren't suffering like the big markets.

midwesterner

• View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: March 13, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »

More than a few Top 25-40% students have NOLA biglaw.  NOLA/Miss/Bama BIGLAW recruiting is pretty much the same as they were last year, as the firms aren't suffering like the big markets.

That sounds like good news!  I did read just yesterday that Louisiana was one of the only states in the union that actually saw unemployment rates drop quarter. 

What about the Texas markets? 

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: March 14, 2009, 11:23:16 AM »

That sounds like good news!  I did read just yesterday that Louisiana was one of the only states in the union that actually saw unemployment rates drop quarter. 

What about the Texas markets? 

Texas tightened up significantly.  Houston is still easier to pull than Dallas, but summer associate class sizes are way down.  Connections still go a long way.

NOLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: March 16, 2009, 04:15:48 PM »
http://classschedule.tulane.edu/

Classes are up for Summer 2009 and Fall 2009.

So, which ones are easiest/have teachers that don't cold call?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: March 16, 2009, 07:24:04 PM »
Wessman doesn't hard socratic his upper-level classes.  Dombalagian socratics 3-6 students each class, but you know when your turn is coming.  Eason socratics a few each class, but is pretty light on the dumb answers.  Hoeffel socratics, but favors the dumb answers. 

Townsend-Gard works through 25-40 students every class.  Big hassle. 

Avoid any class that is essay based without the writing credit.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: March 16, 2009, 10:33:14 PM »
Why do I feel like there is going to be yet another pile of poo I could care less about that i have to take before I can get to the good stuff?

What's the deal next year?

Waving Variable

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2437 on: March 17, 2009, 04:26:58 PM »
even worse is my feeling that this pile of *&^% is the good stuff

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: March 17, 2009, 06:59:28 PM »
Take the professor, not the class.

STLGirlAtHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: March 17, 2009, 10:55:13 PM »
http://classschedule.tulane.edu/

Classes are up for Summer 2009 and Fall 2009.

So, which ones are easiest/have teachers that don't cold call?

Houck is Houck, but I loved Natural Resources. I'm here for environmental law, though.
Millan (Hazardous Waste) doesn't cold call and his exam is take home. His class is horribly, miserably boring, though. I surfed the Internet the entire time.
Shields (Historic Preservation) doesn't cold call, and if they are still offering it as a seminar, your entire grade is attendance, a paper, and a powerpoint presentation.

Anyone who as questions about the environmental law program, feel free to PM me.