Law School Discussion

The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?

Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2300 on: January 20, 2009, 09:35:43 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I have good softs, so hopefully that will help me out. I've been reading this thread and Tulane seems like it would be a really good fit for me. It also seems like there are a lot of people from Texas (Dallas, specifically) at Tulane...

How 'bout them Cowbo..  *bursts into tears*

Texas football this year (college and NFL) was a huge disappointment.

« Reply #2301 on: January 22, 2009, 03:11:21 PM »
Stupid Above the Law.

rj

press is press
« Reply #2302 on: January 23, 2009, 07:08:08 AM »
Press is press; some say that all press is good press.
Even on Above the Law.

« Reply #2303 on: January 23, 2009, 09:05:12 AM »
Can we get the administration to sponsor a 1L forum on what law students should do at parties? I mean, first the shoe thing and now the Mexican party. I know student groups at other law schools do stupid stuff too, but at least they are smart enough to not get it posted all over the internet. Being a private school in the South puts us under greater scrutiny for racist issues. While the party was in bad taste, it's going to make Tulane look worse than it really should.     

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: January 24, 2009, 06:03:32 PM »
I think it goes beyond what to do at parties, although that might help. The administration has a great educational opportunity to begin a discussion about racism in America. We'll see if they choose to take it, or if the whole issue gets swept under the rug.

rj

1Ls? and "Mexican" party
« Reply #2305 on: January 25, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
I did not realize the students at issue were 1Ls or that this was a 1L party if you are talking about the "Mexican" party.

Has the administration said anything?

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: January 25, 2009, 09:18:56 AM »
The students at issue are not 1Ls. There was a schoolwide email from the party thrower apologizing for bad judgment. That's good.

Of course, no mention made of "I was ignorant about why such an event is racist, but am working to educate myself". That's too bad.

« Reply #2307 on: January 25, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »
If this happened to be a St. Patrick's Day party and the attendees were dressed in green and wearing little red beards, would that be racist? What if we were celebrating Oktoberfest and dressed in dirndls and lederhosen? How about a sushi party with kimonos and Kabuki makeup?
Mexican is not a race; it is a nationality. At worst it was politically incorrect, IMO.

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: January 25, 2009, 04:42:18 PM »
Well, let's just say I respectfully disagree. The whole what about if you dressed up as (insert assimilated white nationality here) just doesn't fly as a comparison, and cultural assimilation (kabuki makeup with a kimono) is just never cool. Frankly, I don't get the difference between "Let's dress Mexican" ("cholo"/ sombrero and mustache) and "Let's dress Mexica" (pregnant teenager/ gardner). But that is merely in my book, which obviously doesn't jibe with others.

I'm going to the Dean's Town Hall to see if they are open to addressing this issue openly and more thoroughly. It would be great if you guys went as well to lend your views and voices. Although I have a feeling I will be badly outnumbered anyway, LOL.

rj

« Reply #2309 on: January 25, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »
Good on ya, VJM.  I agree with you that it is NOT ok, and I don't get why people would openly try to pretend it is.  Why would people WANT to admit to buying into stereotyping certain ethnicities or races or whatever?

Let us know how the town hall goes.