Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 315420 times)

internetuser

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2270 on: December 28, 2008, 05:29:55 PM »
Hey guys - first off, thanks for all of your help. I've been reading through parts of the thread and you guys have been giving great information.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to read all 200+ pages, so forgive me if I'm repeating a question or two.

Just a couple of Qs:

1. What is public transportation (if applicable) like in New Orleans? Is the campus pretty self-contained or is there a lot of commuting involved?

going car-less is doable - i do it - but, quite frankly, it sucks. the street car is sweet for tourists and lazy sundays, but if you got poo to do, it's too slow and frustrating. because while the campus is - self contained as you put it, you are in nola and you will want to venture out and get away from the undergrads.

basically, i live near campus and walk to carrolton to do everything, because walking to magazine is too far. carrolton is a great place, so i can't complain too much  but making the 1 mile walk back from rue or zotz (good coffee shops) at 1am or the maple leaf of cooter browns (good bars) is not for the faint of heart, and locals frequently chastise me for doing it. the upshot is tulane has started a shuttle service that will pick you up anywhere around the campus until 2am and take you home, but i haven't used it yet.

also, i've spent a tone on cabs. some people solve this problem by getting a bike or scooter, and i may look into that myself. the bottom line is that it's not nyc, and while you can go carless, it get old very quickly.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2271 on: January 01, 2009, 02:24:36 PM »
Happy New Year everybody. I can't believe we return to classes Monday...but I guess I am ready. We do have a shorter break than some, but my loan spending leftover from last semester fit the break schedule just perfectly... haha.
Tulane Class of 2011

ak362

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2272 on: January 01, 2009, 08:10:53 PM »
Thanks for your help guys!

I think I'll spend some time reading previous posts - looks like there's a lot of good info here.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: January 05, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »
How high in the class do you need to graduate to get a good, local firm job, assuming no connections?

If you immerse yourself in NOLA legal circles - top half gives you a shot.
No immersion, top third.

3. I hear great things about Tulane's national prestige - how does the school place in Washington D.C.?

This year, no DC interview without law review.  Last year, top quarter = interview.

Waving Variable

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2274 on: January 05, 2009, 09:44:48 PM »
How many on law review?  Is it something like top ten percent?

Waving Variable

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2275 on: January 06, 2009, 01:37:49 AM »
I'm not going to be worrying too much about law review, as it is.

I don't even want to think about grades at this point.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: January 06, 2009, 11:01:35 AM »
Top 10% + 5 write-ons = each LR class

biglaw930

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2277 on: January 06, 2009, 03:26:23 PM »
After reading this thread, I decided to apply today.  What do you all think my chances are, 159 3.61 University of Michigan??  Thanks in advance. 

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: January 06, 2009, 03:58:43 PM »
Realistically, with the first classes grades due yesterday, when should we expect to see grades posted?
You never know unless you try!

In: Mercer(W), Tulane (90K), WUSTL($), Loyola New Orleans (W) (99K), DePaul (W) (45K), LSU (W) (60K)(non-resident), Georgia State (W) (non-resident)
Waitlisted: Emory (W), UT (W), Vandy (W)
Rejected: Harvard

TULANE LAW CLASS OF 2011!!!

Waving Variable

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2279 on: January 07, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
It appears that they are starting to be posted -- my Contracts grade was just posted.