Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 317133 times)

WaveLaw

• View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2260 on: December 18, 2008, 05:51:38 PM »
I must say, the tech support today was great. The computer exam software did something veerrrryyy bad in my computer, and they had me all straightened out before exam time. As well as being socially normal. Je suis shockee!

Any 2L's doing the civil track? I would love the scoop on Carriere, Palmer, Pucillo.

Congrats bloomlaw! It's a great place with great people.
I can give you a little bit on Pucillo. He is young, visiting prof.,  very approachable and has a good sense of humor. He expects attendance,but is otherwise pretty laid back. Seriously, he is not much of a hide the ball kind of prof.  Plus, if you ever want to do a judicial clerkship, he is very enthusiastic about helping. He clerked in two different circuit courts and has contacts.  His exams are straightforward, and he will give you plenty of clues throughout the year.   

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: December 18, 2008, 08:06:17 PM »
WE ARE DONE!!! atleast for the next two weeks!
You never know unless you try!

In: Mercer(W), Tulane (90K), WUSTL($), Loyola New Orleans (W) (99K), DePaul (W) (45K), LSU (W) (60K)(non-resident), Georgia State (W) (non-resident)
Waitlisted: Emory (W), UT (W), Vandy (W)
Rejected: Harvard

TULANE LAW CLASS OF 2011!!!

Waving Variable

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2262 on: December 19, 2008, 04:53:58 PM »
Glad that's over.

The thought of having to do it again in a few months makes me sick to my stomach.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: December 19, 2008, 10:50:36 PM »
I must say, the tech support today was great. The computer exam software did something veerrrryyy bad in my computer, and they had me all straightened out before exam time. As well as being socially normal. Je suis shockee!

Any 2L's doing the civil track? I would love the scoop on Carriere, Palmer, Pucillo.

Congrats bloomlaw! It's a great place with great people.
I can give you a little bit on Pucillo. He is young, visiting prof.,  very approachable and has a good sense of humor. He expects attendance,but is otherwise pretty laid back. Seriously, he is not much of a hide the ball kind of prof.  Plus, if you ever want to do a judicial clerkship, he is very enthusiastic about helping. He clerked in two different circuit courts and has contacts.  His exams are straightforward, and he will give you plenty of clues throughout the year.   

Hey thanks! Sounds like a good guy.

Things were going so well in exams...until Strickler's Civ Pro H-bomb exploded on us all. I have never seen such a shocked and nearly hysterical class after an exam.

But it's over!!!! Wahooo!!!!

Have a great winter break everybody!

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: December 20, 2008, 08:28:29 AM »
That exam was, like, beyond any level of rationality. I had no idea he hated us so much!

Photographic evidence of the annihilation and concomitant dismay experienced by a select group of test-takers is available on my FB for anyone who happens to know who I am (which I think is everyone). It's my new favorite picture.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2265 on: December 21, 2008, 03:20:40 AM »
Not sure which I hate worse right now...that civ pro exam, or the fact that it feels like -15 in my home state right now. God, I love New Orleans.
Tulane Class of 2011

JohnGalt

• View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: December 26, 2008, 09:18:21 PM »
How high in the class do you need to graduate to get a good, local firm job, assuming no connections?

Waving Variable

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2267 on: December 27, 2008, 01:06:48 AM »
that's a question for botbot

ak362

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2268 on: December 27, 2008, 02:15:40 AM »
Hey guys - first off, thanks for all of your help. I've been reading through parts of the thread and you guys have been giving great information.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to read all 200+ pages, so forgive me if I'm repeating a question or two.

Just a couple of Qs:

1. What is public transportation (if applicable) like in New Orleans? Is the campus pretty self-contained or is there a lot of commuting involved?
2. I figured I'd try and ask: I went complete on November 13th - I was wondering what the normal timeframe for an admissions decision is? My numbers are 3.37/162 (GPA took a slight dip because of college courses from high school and year abroad grades didn't count), pretty solid softs.
3. I hear great things about Tulane's national prestige - how does the school place in Washington D.C.?

Thanks again.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2269 on: December 27, 2008, 04:21:28 PM »
Well, my attempt to infiltrate the Dallas market is complete, so wish me luck!!

Just to address a few of the questions to the best of my ability:

JohnGault: I can't answer yours well without BotBot help. I BELIEVE historically, around the top 30-35% of the class tends to make market in their city of choice; however who got these jobs based on mass mailing or connections is hard to determine. Bot can chirp in better than I can.

Ak362:

1. Public Transport:  Barely exists. The streetcar is a nice way to get downtown or the French Quarter or maybe to school (but timing is unreliable, so leave early).  Busses exist, I've never taken one. They don't seem convenient nor terribly safe. Plan on having a car, or living walking distance to school. I know Tulane does offer a wal-mart/grocery store/mall bus on weekends if you do need to get places to shop.

2. I am not sure on your timeframe. I was similar LSAT with a different GPA and mine was pretty quick. I applied in January too, believe I heard by early Feb. They seem pretty good at getting decisions out.

3. Tulane does have some national placement (BotBot is better than me here) but speaking with career services myself, I don't believe DC placement is too great considering the number of top law schools within the city and its reputation as a popular legal market. NYC/Texas/Southeast are Tulane's strongest placement areas and I'd say its probably easier with our reputation to get a job in NYC than DC, but I don't have data on hand to back that up.

Tulane Class of 2011