Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 318004 times)

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #1850 on: July 27, 2008, 03:18:19 PM »
Hey all,

Just wanted to bid everyone farewell.  I hope you 2L's have solid years, and you 0L's come in ready to roll.

Don't have much of a reason to come back anymore to LSD, so I'm off for life's next great adventure.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1851 on: July 28, 2008, 01:57:05 AM »
Hey all,

Just wanted to bid everyone farewell.  I hope you 2L's have solid years, and you 0L's come in ready to roll.

Don't have much of a reason to come back anymore to LSD, so I'm off for life's next great adventure.

Good luck to ya and thanks for the help for all us 0L's coming in.   I gotta say the combined group of current students on here once again made Tulane truly unique in the law school world.

Cleaning my current apt out and wow. I just cant' believe how nasty a place can get in 1 year :(
Tulane Class of 2011

WaveLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: July 28, 2008, 09:09:52 AM »
Hey all,

God speed. Kick some ass.

And on another note.  All you eager 0L's looking for something to do.  You can revise your resume. Your LRW class will likely ask for it by your second week, so you might as well make some adjustments and get it in line. Once you have access to the intranet you can search "All Documents" and look under the CDO. They will have some model cover letters and resumes. You will seriously resent having to do it when you are trying to get used to your law school schedule. Do it now.

Boil it all down to 1 pg, unless you are TortNretort or someone with, otherwise, too much life experience to boil down to that small of a resume.
Good luck to everyone. It is a very exciting time.

WaveLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: July 28, 2008, 02:02:48 PM »
What other things can the OL's save a little jack on by getting it early?

My list:
You know you will need a most recent copy of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. Look on half.com, ebay, etc.
Examples and Explanations for Civil Procedure, Glannon, 4th ed.   (HIGHLY USEFUL!)
The Bluebook, 18th edition ("A Uniform System of Citation"
      wait to buy any other books for LRW, they will typically only assign one main resource book. See the syllabus and then decide how heavily   your prof. uses them. Use the reserve room.

Y'all chip in with other suggestions. This should save you enough to buy us a beer.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1854 on: July 28, 2008, 04:02:31 PM »

My list:
You know you will need a most recent copy of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. Look on half.com, ebay, etc.
Examples and Explanations for Civil Procedure, Glannon, 4th ed.   (HIGHLY USEFUL!)
      wait to buy any other books for LRW, they will typically only assign one main resource book. See the syllabus and then decide how heavily   your prof. uses them. Use the reserve room.

Y'all chip in with other suggestions. This should save you enough to buy us a beer.

Hey Wave,

Why the 4th edition of Glannon's book? Does the 5th edition not have anything substantial added to it? Also, I assume we want the "educational" version of the fed rules of civ pro?

Which supplements are best for the other courses and worked well for you? I've heard they're very helpful with torts and property as well, but not sure if Glannon's torts book is tops or not; or does this depend at all on which section I am placed in?
Tulane Class of 2011

WaveLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: July 28, 2008, 05:09:04 PM »

My list:

Hey Wave,

Why the 4th edition of Glannon's book? Does the 5th edition not have anything substantial added to it? Also, I assume we want the "educational" version of the fed rules of civ pro?

Which supplements are best for the other courses and worked well for you? I've heard they're very helpful with torts and property as well, but not sure if Glannon's torts book is tops or not; or does this depend at all on which section I am placed in?

Oh, my memory is stale. 5th edition is fine, but you will get 4th cheaper and I don't recall there being really any meaningful differences. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

All you want for the Fed Rules is one that has official comments and histories. You will get a free pocket version from Lexis, but that is hardly useful.
 Mine also had selected federal statutes in the back, but I could have done without them and just relied on Lexis, Westlaw or any number of free sites. 

I hope someone else will hop in with other suggestions.

I was able to save $80 alone by searching for my Civ pro book on Half.com. Point is, you can fish around for the good supplements before you know which prof you have. You can find stuff really cheap right after the bar exam when everyone is clearing out their old books.  That is now.

Good luck.

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: July 30, 2008, 01:37:17 PM »
how much do first semesters books usually run, I just went by loyolas bookstore and the law books were out of this world expensive.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: July 30, 2008, 01:48:27 PM »
how much do first semesters books usually run, I just went by loyolas bookstore and the law books were out of this world expensive.

Depends on your teachers, but...

First semester = $1000 at the bookstore or $750 off the net
Second semester = $700 at the bookstare or $550 off the net

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: July 30, 2008, 06:08:56 PM »

Depends on your teachers, but...

First semester = $1000 at the bookstore or $750 off the net
Second semester = $700 at the bookstare or $550 off the net

Damn that is what I priced it at I was hoping that was high, that is ridiculous, that is highway robbery, also how do people afford books before school without the loan money in yet, not too many people have a thousand dollars laying around after all the other stuff that has to be payed for.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: July 30, 2008, 08:43:58 PM »
^That's an excellent question.

Did everybody find housing? DS, I am looking at you. Just wanted to volunteer to help out if anyone needs a scout.