Law School Discussion

The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?

Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #1770 on: July 08, 2008, 07:17:35 PM »
Hey ya'll,

I'm an undergrad at Tulane lookin at law schools. I am trying to decide between Tulane and Emory. I did some research, and I'm expecting both schools to cost me about the same with financial aid. Heres some pros/cons:

Tulane pros
-I am from LA and love nola
-I will already know a couple people at Tulane Law and have undergraduate friends as well
-It's close to home and will have minimal travel expenses
-It offers civil law - which I might be interested in studying

Tulane cons
-My boyfriend of 2 years does not want to move to New Orleans
-Tulane's average starting salary is lower than Emory's
-It might be nice to experience a new city
-Hurricane season

Emory pros
-I'm interested in the areas they specialize in
-They are ranked 22nd in the nation
-They have a higher starting salary
-My boyfriend is willing to move to ATL

Emory cons
-I might get homesick (no mardi gras!)
-traveling expenses
-if i decide to return to LA it might be hard to find a job with a common law degree
-I won't know anyone in Atlanta

Anyone have an opinion/advice about Tulane v. Emory??

Please keep in mind I am sort of gunning for Tualne here..  but, I'm a bit biased. :)

Tulane pros
-I am from LA and love nola - Perfect.
-I will already know a couple people at Tulane Law and have undergraduate friends as well - This will help with the first few weeks of awkwardness.  Not to mention, around finals, it's nice to have non-law-school friends around.
-It's close to home and will have minimal travel expenses - If you don't expect to have any scholarships, this could be very important and give you more freedom/money to do what you want after graduation.
-It offers civil law - which I might be interested in studying No better place for it.

Tulane cons
-My boyfriend of 2 years does not want to move to New Orleans If it works, it works.  If Tulane is really where YOU want to go, regardless of the bf, then that's where you need to be.  Long distance relationships are a pain (I'm in one and have been for a year), but they are doable.  Esp during law school, when you are probably not going to have a lot of time to hang out with a bf anyway.
-Tulane's average starting salary is lower than Emory's I wouldn't let this count much in your opinion.  Most career development offices overestimate this.  These are by no means scientific numbers and I wouldn't put a lot of stock into them.
-It might be nice to experience a new city This is true.  Have you been to ATL?  Do you like it?
-Hurricane season

Emory pros
-I'm interested in the areas they specialize in Unless you are certain through work experience or whatever that there is an area you would like to do, I wouldn't base my entire school choice around it.  But that's just me. :)
-They are ranked 22nd in the nation There's not TOO big of a difference between 47 and 22.  I've heard once you get past the T14, it doesn't make a lot of difference in the first tier.
-They have a higher starting salary Again, career development offices kind of play with these numbers.  I wouldn't put a lot of stock in them.
-My boyfriend is willing to move to ATL Super!

Emory cons
-I might get homesick (no mardi gras!) Have you ever lived away from NOLA?  If not, the odds are that you WILL get homesick.
-traveling expenses ... are a pain. :(
-if i decide to return to LA it might be hard to find a job with a common law degree This is not necessarily the case.  Esp if you are from LA.  If you can show you are really interested in NOLA, it might a bit harder from Emory, but certainly doable.
-I won't know anyone in Atlanta You'll meet people. :)

Have you visited Emory and ATL?  You've got to like the place you're going to be.  It's very important, since if you're not happy in law school, you won't do as well as you could.

Thank you for your comments! I have been to ATL, and I think I would enjoy living there. I think the main reason I'm considering Emory is to save my relationship, otherwise I'd be Tulane all the way. I'm scared if I go to Tulane and it doesn't work out with him, I will deeply regret it. I just have to figure out if I would regret not going to Tulane even more.  ???

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: July 08, 2008, 07:32:02 PM »
Has your boyfriend visited Atlanta? You might consider visiting Emory when school starts up again.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: July 08, 2008, 07:39:42 PM »
RE:  EMORY V TULANE

If they cost the same, even if you know you want NOLA - go to Emory.  That said, if you are in at Emory, you should get $15-30k each year at Tulane.

The scholarship + your NOLA home = go to Tulane.

« Reply #1773 on: July 08, 2008, 09:05:15 PM »
Pretty OT but, I'm heading to my last Major League Baseball game of the season tomorrow.  That is one of the saddest things I have ever said in early July.  At least I got half price tickets and it is dollar hot dog night.  I've never lived in a non-major league city before so that is going to take some getting used to.  (I may be going to a Royals game when I am in Kansas City on Saturday, but you haven't been able to classify that as major league baseball since George Brett retired.)

10 days until I move to NOLA...I can't wait.

« Reply #1774 on: July 08, 2008, 09:11:57 PM »
I thought about making a thread about this, but what better thread to ask a question about Tulane than this one?

Here's the deal: GPA's 3.52, LSAT's 160. Probably got some good LORs coming, and some decent club involvement. Do you guys think I have any chance of making it? Tulane's my #1 choice (at this point, anyway).

hbb

• View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: July 08, 2008, 11:18:28 PM »
I really wish Tulane was a Direct lending rather than FFELP lending participant - I'd be much happier just going right to the feds. Having for-profit private banks service student loans just seems like a really bad idea...

wtracing

• Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1776 on: July 09, 2008, 12:33:02 AM »
I really wish Tulane was a Direct lending rather than FFELP lending participant - I'd be much happier just going right to the feds. Having for-profit private banks service student loans just seems like a really bad idea...

I agree. MY UG was a direct lending school and it was so easy to deal with.  They're very flexible about forbearance, etc. and the site is straightforward and no worries about your debt being serviced by a lousy company (which happened with one of my private loans). C'mon Tulane!

hbb

• View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: July 09, 2008, 07:34:09 AM »
Dr. Foom - a quick glance at LSN's graph for Tulane makes it appear as if virtually all applicants at or above 3.5/160 were admitted. You've got an excellent chance...

« Reply #1778 on: July 09, 2008, 10:27:05 AM »
I thought about making a thread about this, but what better thread to ask a question about Tulane than this one?

Here's the deal: GPA's 3.52, LSAT's 160. Probably got some good LORs coming, and some decent club involvement. Do you guys think I have any chance of making it? Tulane's my #1 choice (at this point, anyway).

I have a similar GPA (slightly higher) with a 160 LSAT and managed to get in with a scholarship, so I don't think you'll have any problems getting in with your numbers.

jcheste8

• Getting excited about law school!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: July 09, 2008, 11:20:05 AM »

Apply early and you're in.

Hurley, you wipe that smile off your face because you better be serious with "The Dean." Joke.