Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 317093 times)

STLGirlAtHeart

• View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #1590 on: June 20, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »
Well, I'm watching the Cards/BoSox game on MLB.tv and catching up on my "Tulane Greatness" reading.

I have a few things to add to this:

Bait-n-switch time

What sucks at Tulane...

1. The carpets suck.  I imagine most of you witnessed it when you visited.  Each summer Tulane says they are going to be replaced, but it hasn't happened yet. 

2. The Men's bathrooms suck.  The rubber urinal blockers keep disappearing, exposing the gross hard-water stained ceramic bottom area.  They also don't "feel" clean enough.  Third floor tiny bathroom is the worst.

3. The CDO class sucks.  They should, instead, require each student to send in a resume and meet, individually, with a member of the CDO to discuss the student's employment strategy.

(this can actually probably be found in the thread already, but I'm bored)

Tulane students, please add to the list/discuss.

(also congrats vjm)

Things that I personally think sucked about first year @ TLS (and moving to NOLA)

1) Legal Research and Writing... OK, OK, I know its a necessary evil, and in the end it actually worked out for me, BUT I absolutely HATED that class. True, I had a Suckey (that's a pun, for all the rising 2Ls on the board) professor, but that class was the bane of my existence.

2) The temperature in the classrooms. Bring a hoodie when its 95 degrees with 99% humidity outside, and wear cooler layers under your sweaters in the winter. The temperature inside is always the opposite of the temperature outside.

3) Hard to find good food after 10 pm. I'm used to a city where great food was available from many, many sources 24 hours a day. It was a hard to hear my stomach growling at 2 am with no real options except bar food.

4) The roads in NOLA.

Also, I want to tell the soon-to-be 1Ls that 1) James Gordley is the best K professor. Ever. If you find out during orientation that you have him, rejoice. 2) The people who talk in class and act like, well, feminine hygiene product bags, aren't the ones that make the best grades. Don't let them intimidate you.

That's about all.

Hey, the Cards are winning 4-2 in the top of the 7th. Woo Hoo!

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1591 on: June 20, 2008, 11:56:49 PM »
I have got to say that the Tulane alumni network has been very impressive thus far.  I currently work in a firm owned by a Tulane alum, I had lunch with the head of corporate counsel for a major transportation corporation who is a Tulane alum today, and am having beer with a Tulane partner in the largest firm in my city.  All have been totally willing to share their experiences and offer contact info for potential positions next summer.  I have to say, compared to schools a few of my friends are attending (T14s...), I am thoroughly impressed.
Tulane Class of 2011

WaveLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: June 21, 2008, 08:03:24 AM »
One question for the incoming 1L's.  First, I know you must be chomping at the bit for it to get here. I feel ya.

SO,  have any of you set any goals for law school? 

1. I want to make law review
2. I want to keep my scholarship
3. I don't want to get below a B
4. I want to get drunk often and well.
5. I want to be that guy; alternatively, I don't want to be "that guy"

Just curious. I know I had delusions when I got here and said I wanted to be top 10%. Well, that didn't happen, but I also was honest with myself and had a back up goal. That did happen. Just wondering what yall are thinking.

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1593 on: June 21, 2008, 12:14:23 PM »
One question for the incoming 1L's.  First, I know you must be chomping at the bit for it to get here. I feel ya.

Just curious. I know I had delusions when I got here and said I wanted to be top 10%. Well, that didn't happen, but I also was honest with myself and had a back up goal. That did happen. Just wondering what yall are thinking.

1. Do well. Law review would be nice if that's in the cards.
2. Definitely keep my scholarship.
3. I wanna be "that (drunk) guy" as often as I can while still accomplishing goals one and two.

Also, I've been in NOLA the past couple days and will probably be here until mid-to-late next week. My roommates and I looked at probably a dozen houses yesterday (maybe more), and we've got a couple left later today, but we found 2-3 that are definitely great possibilities. One's on the NW side of the Broadway block, another's right on Broadway a about the same distance North, and the third is just a few blocks from the law school. Decisions, decisions! It's fun just to be in NOLA for an extended period of time. I'll give y'all the report of where I ended up when I get back.
Tulane c/o 2011

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1594 on: June 21, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »

1.  I don't think I am concerned with Law Review, although I wouldn't mind writing on the International journal.  If I don't do that, I would love to do Moot Court, I think that would be good experience. 

2.  My scholarship is small, but would like to keep it.  More for the implications of where i'd be in the class if I lost it than anything.

3.  I want to get the best grade I can in each class.  I won't mind what grades I get so long as I work to get them.  If I don't slack off, I will be pretty happy with my grades.

4.  I definitely want to explore all of the drinking opportunities that do not involve the French Quarter.  I've been there enough times now to establish that the drinks are overpriced and unless I have newcomers along with me, its not worth it really.  Except Mardi Gras. I have a feeling I will be on Bourbon for that, quite a show.

5.  I want to be silent but deadly as well.  I typically don't answer very often in class, but I've had profs tell me that when I do its usually very helpful and contributes a lot to the class.  So, if I can keep that up here, I can avoid being an a-hole or embarrassing myself :)

6. My goal is to try my hardest to find a 1L summer job in Europe.  I think that might be difficult and of course will have a backup plan, but thats what I will shoot for.
Tulane Class of 2011

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: June 21, 2008, 03:50:41 PM »
One question for the incoming 1L's. First, I know you must be chomping at the bit for it to get here. I feel ya.

SO, have any of you set any goals for law school?

1. Law Review would be great for the prestige factor. The job itself sounds like a bit of a drag (as does the write-on competition) but most sources indicate it's a great resume addition. So that's kind of a want/do not want deal for me.

2. I want to stay on top of my workload. I sailed through UG with a lot of procrastination and half-assedness, which I know won't fly anymore so I gotta get on the workload right away. So I have some unspecified goals of studying X hours a week, working through X numbers of old exams, starting outlines in September, etc. Those will become more specific, I hope, soon enough.

3. On a personal note, I want to make an effort to be sociable. I'm not a joiner (ISTP) so I have to force myself to get involved in groups and attend functions.

4. On another personal note, it would be nice if I could manage to keep my home tidy. That's a pipe dream.

5. On yet another personal note, I hope I am able to survive on financial aid alone.

Are you me? Srsly.

I would only add these:

6. Get on the "Up early, go exercise before class" train. Pipe dream. Not a morning person.

7. Participate in mucho clinics. PD, externship with the Capital Assistance Center, etc. I want to get as much experience as possible.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: June 22, 2008, 12:56:34 PM »
Ugh, right. Exercise. I really need to get on that too. bleh

Hey listen, Tulane friends... VJM and I want to make sure you are all participating in Ninja's fun little rankings game going on in the Rankings & Reviews area. With all of us participating, Tulane could crack the top 20 and we could increase our bragging rights even more.

Link?

It is all the threads marked BOD (Bracket of Death) in the Reviews section. It's a little confusing, but remember...just keep voting Tulane!!!

With a little organized effort, we could definitely knock Yale out of the top spot.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: June 22, 2008, 11:00:07 PM »
Hey I was just looking at ABA data and Tulane seems pretty lame in the bar-passage category. What's up with that? Only 83%?  :-\

Thanks civil law!

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: June 22, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »
"The Louisiana exam holds the distinction of being the longest bar exam in the United States"

Ewwwwwwwww.

hurley325

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: June 22, 2008, 11:56:23 PM »
From wikipedia:
Passing applicants are listed by full name, with conditional or failed applicants listed by fictitious name. The fictitious names are chosen by all applicants prior to taking the bar, and can get quite creative.

Is this the same in every state or just LA, because that is hilarious?  I would be really interested to see the list of fictitious names.