Law School Discussion

The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?

Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #1560 on: June 18, 2008, 01:10:41 PM »
I am extremely bored at work, (Last week thank god) and I saw my first post in this thread was in the 30's and that was only a couple of months ago, this has gotten ridiculous. 

Also here is to hoping that the Class of 11 is more attractive than the collective admitted students on 3/28.  Ahhh that was an ugly group.

« Reply #1561 on: June 18, 2008, 01:44:43 PM »
Depends on what you want, you really have to look, but I would be wary of a 2 br that costs under a thousand dollars, really check out the location first.

Not true. You can rent a 3br House for $850 right by Audubon park. Problem is, you have to wait for the landlord, who is a missionary in Nigeria, to get your check and mail you the key. By the way, don't do that.

You can trust one thing. There are no sweetheart deals. This is a very strange rental market. Sarcasm aside, I agree with Braski completely. Be wary of 2BR for under 1000k. If you do find one that works, snatch it up.

I got that Nigerian ad too when I put up a housing wanted ad on Craigslist.  I wonder how many people fall for it.

As for housing, my boyfriend and I managed to find a really nice 2BR / 1.5 BA with cen a/h, dw and w/d thats within walking distance for $1200.  That was about $300 more than I wanted to spend, but I looked at some 1 BR + study and 2BRs that were in the $900-$1000 price range and feel like I'm getting a great deal.  Actually, there were a couple that were $1000 that even had dead roaches in plain view - ick!

« Reply #1562 on: June 18, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
I was part of the 3/28 disaster, so I am not claiming to be Rico Suave, quitting time, see all you beautiful Green Wave tomorrow.

« Reply #1563 on: June 18, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »
YEM, how much are you paying for your bedroom?  I'm getting a two bedroom for myself (personal reasons)and you are right.  It is RIDICULOUS!!!

Guinea pig sanctuary?

Also here is to hoping that the Class of 11 is more attractive than the collective admitted students on 3/28.  Ahhh that was an ugly group.

You know, Braski, many of us have now had the opportunity to see YOUR photos, so...  :P

LOL!  No, family.  It's crazy I know.

Don't worry, I couldn't make it to any of the ASDs and I'm BEAUTIFUL!

« Reply #1564 on: June 18, 2008, 02:42:10 PM »
Hey Sink, I love me some softball, too.

I'm playing in a coed league right now in Memphis, and we've been dominating.

You playing at all?

My team ("Snakes on a Softball Field") disbanded during the Winter break this past year, so I've been hankering for another one all semester. The team was terrible, though; I was the best player on the team, which isn't horrible, but it's not great either. It was pretty much a bunch of kids from the music department and then me. I took a softball class in the Spring (easy A, needed the credits, Senior year, etc.), so I'm not too rusty, though. No matter how busy law school is, there's always time for softball.

« Reply #1565 on: June 18, 2008, 02:43:16 PM »
I am extremely bored at work, (Last week thank god) and I saw my first post in this thread was in the 30's and that was only a couple of months ago, this has gotten ridiculous. 

I've been getting a lot of compliments lately on the "playoff beard" I've been rocking this Summer. Very mountain man-ish.

« Reply #1566 on: June 18, 2008, 02:44:30 PM »
Actually, there were a couple that were $1000 that even had dead roaches in plain view - ick!

Out-of-towners crack me up with their attitude to roaches here in the Tropics. Dude! Get over it! If you're a renter here then there WILL be inch-long insects IN YOUR KITCHEN. The trick isn't to find a place where you have none; the trick is to store your food so that they can't get at it. "Palmetto bugs" are an inevitable fact of life in this city. Personally, I'd rather members of the Blattaria order, than stinging Hymenoptera, given the choice. Epi-pen, anyone?

We got both, BTW. :P
[/quote]

Yea, I'll have to come to terms with the roach issue.  When I was there last, I went to the McDonalds at Louisiana and St Charles for a 3 am ice cream run and there were 2-3 inch roaches literally swarming the area.  Needless to say, I didnt touch my ice cream.  The insects are going to be a difficult adjustment for me.  I just pray to god that the spiders aren't as big and prevalent as the roaches.

But back to the roaches in apartments - I mean, seriously, if they're going to show the place they should at least clean the room of dead roaches first IMO...

« Reply #1567 on: June 18, 2008, 02:51:11 PM »
wait - there's roaches?

what about alligators?

do you think i would be less likely to come across bugs if i got an apt in the university owned apartments?

« Reply #1568 on: June 18, 2008, 03:27:23 PM »
wait - there's roaches?

what about alligators?

do you think i would be less likely to come across bugs if i got an apt in the university owned apartments?

I saw an alligator swimming in the lake in Audobon Park.  I was very excited. 

« Reply #1569 on: June 18, 2008, 03:29:19 PM »
You're gonna get bugs pretty much wherever you go. I guess growing up in Florida, I've gotten used to all kinds of creepy crawlies. And everyone I know that has lived in Florida their whole life either has their own story, or has heard from someone they know, of an alligator crawling into their swimming pool at some point in time. Here at UF, there's a couple alligators that live in the ponds/lakes on campus!