Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 312912 times)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #1360 on: June 02, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
God, I need a serious shot of motivation for these write ons.

Yeah this weekend is going to suck.

hbb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: June 02, 2008, 04:58:54 PM »
I'm headed down to look for housing week after next - any suggestions from the other folks who've gone through this recently? I've got a pretty good handle on where I'd prefer to live and how much I'll need to spend, just wondering how much success folks have had with Craigslist v. driving around looking for signs v. rental agencies.

hurley325

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: June 02, 2008, 05:56:24 PM »
I'm headed down to look for housing week after next - any suggestions from the other folks who've gone through this recently? I've got a pretty good handle on where I'd prefer to live and how much I'll need to spend, just wondering how much success folks have had with Craigslist v. driving around looking for signs v. rental agencies.

I'll chime in as I just got back a couple days ago from finding a place.  We started out looking at 4 bedrooms and there were a couple really solid ones on Calhoun right next to the rec center.  Unfortunately one of the guys backed out the night before we were going to sign the lease so we had to switch to looking at 3 bedrooms on the fly.

We went with Craigslist almost exclusively and that worked well.  We also drove around and looked for "For Rent" signs, but that didn't get us very far.  There were some other future 1L's down there at the same time and I think they went around with a couple rental agencies and that worked for them.  If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: June 02, 2008, 06:28:21 PM »
If nothing else, you will be able to do the routine stuff in your sleep.  Boring, but really good experience.

Yeah, they have been beating out my LRW learned bad habits from day one. 

And...despite my whining, I do enjoy the work.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: June 02, 2008, 08:22:13 PM »
LRW for me.

Contracts and LRW for the Ms.

hbb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: June 02, 2008, 08:36:37 PM »
Thanks for the response, hurley. By the way, didn't you tell me the Mariners would have a good team this season?  ;)

hurley325

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: June 02, 2008, 09:03:32 PM »
Thanks for the response, hurley. By the way, didn't you tell me the Mariners would have a good team this season?  ;)

My AL West predictions were a little hit and miss this year.  Flip Oakland and Seattle and that is what I was expecting, although I expected the Rangers to be closer to the 75 win range.

STLGirlAtHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: June 02, 2008, 09:46:26 PM »
Hmm... I've got LRW (but that's been up for weeks) and Con Law.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: June 02, 2008, 10:04:50 PM »
Hmm... I've got LRW (but that's been up for weeks) and Con Law.

My LRW just went up...

I guess this means that in "Legal Research and Writing" they teach one thing, and in the firm they want something different? Gee what a surprise, yet again we find that education and job training are at loggerheads ...

Anyway, what's the differences, in a nutshell? And which firm is this, if you don't mind identifying yourself too much? I'm already getting into learning the distinctions among NOLa's many medium-to-small and boutique-sized firms. I'm highly likely to remain here.

LRW had a ton of helpful information and I probably wouldn't be able to do my job without the class.  The class also graded me on a style that isn't preferred by my firm.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1369 on: June 03, 2008, 01:50:22 AM »
So, I got a priority mail envelope today containing loan information. Needless to say, I am utterly frightened. I had some major cold feet for a few hours, but am now on board again. I feel like with the Federal LRAP I will be ok even with a lower paying job, but on the other hand, I don't really trust our government to keep the thing going, or even honor it in the first place....
Tulane Class of 2011