Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 318628 times)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #1100 on: May 03, 2008, 12:56:04 AM »
But... Dallas! Yay Dallas!

Sigh...I do look forward to Taco Bueno...

ElMismoPandejo

• View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 03, 2008, 01:08:04 AM »
Thanks Botbot.  I'm more interested in Houston than Dallas anyway.  (BTW, I hope people realize you can buy a sweet condo there for about $150,000.)

I would guess that Texas firms will see Tulane kind of like how they see Emory, W&L, Carolina, and other mid-ranked southern schools.  Like, they will have heard of these schools and recognize them as good, but they don't really go interview there.  Does Tulane stand out because it's close to TX, and do a lot of the BigTex firms come to Tulane, or does Texas really require your own legwork?  I suppose I could just go look at the NALP form but I'm too lazy.

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 03, 2008, 12:33:24 PM »
where are all the tulane 1ls working this summer not getting decent 1l summer work outside of nola terrifies me

Hal Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 03, 2008, 03:24:48 PM »
where are all the tulane 1ls working this summer not getting decent 1l summer work outside of nola terrifies me

WaveLaw already covered it, but not getting dececnt 1L work isn't something to be too terrified of. CDO pushes judicial internships a lot to compensate for the lack of firm gigs, and as far as I can tell, they are viewed as nice experience by 2L summer employers. The key is to get some experience somewhere, or in the alternative take summer classes. As long as you're not sitting on your ass all summer, you should be good.

hurley325

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 03, 2008, 07:20:15 PM »
If I see an arena full of Peja heads on a stick I'm not going to be able to watch this game tonight because I will be too busy laughing.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 04, 2008, 06:00:53 PM »
If I see an arena full of Peja heads on a stick I'm not going to be able to watch this game tonight because I will be too busy laughing.

My favorite game yet, although I bet the Peja heads didn't translate as well on tv.  I have them propped up around my game room right now, I can't play darts with a straight face.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 05, 2008, 12:17:08 PM »
Just extended my "drop dead date" to stay on Tulane's WL. I originally said May 8, but have since made some changes in my housing plans so I can hold out longer.

It was a very junior high email "I love you soooooo much, please like me back a little."

hbb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 05, 2008, 03:25:23 PM »
This thread is way too long now  :-\ It's getting hard to find all those nuggets of good info...

I've been digging through some of the pages for more info about Harrah's parking policies. I plan on heading down to New Orleans next month to look for housing, and got a great deal on a hotel/rental car package, but the hotel is in the FQ and parking is pretty spendy. Anyone have any ideas on an inexpensive way to park the car overnight?

I'm considering leaving it on the street somewhere near campus and taking the streetcar uptown in the mornings to grab the car and check out places to live, but I seem to remember some of the posters who were at the 3/28 ASW playing at Harrah's and getting their parking validated, which might be a better plan....

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1108 on: May 05, 2008, 05:20:43 PM »
I am pretty sure you're referencing me getting my parking validated at Harrah's :) Its actually a pretty good deal. Although there is street parking on St. Charles (and the current students probably know more locations) a lot of the areas around are 2 hour parking unless you have resident stickers.  If you're going to be in the FQ/CBD a decent amount Harrahs is a great spot. Huge secure garage so you know you car is 99% safe there. You have to supposedly play 30 minutes to get your parking validated if you have a Harrahs players card. I played in the poker room and they just validated it when I signed in with them (you need to request it from them then or after you play).  Technically I could have played one hand and left or never even cashed in I suppose, but it was a good deal. The way I figured, it was anywhere from $10/night (at a tricky surface lot that was a little shady on Common St. right by Harrahs) or I could go gamble with that 10 dollars and might actually make money or have fun paying for my parking.

The downside though is the validation is only for 24 hours so you will need to exit the garage and re-enter and gamble again to get it re-validated each day. Its not that big of a deal though if you're spending time in that area. If you're gonna be staying in the FQ I definitely think this is the way to go!
Tulane Class of 2011

hbb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: May 05, 2008, 08:26:53 PM »
I am pretty sure you're referencing me getting my parking validated at Harrah's

Yes, I am!  :D I couldn't remember who it was who had posted about parking at Harrah's. I'll have to give that a shot... I didn't realize they were validating for 24 hours, that could be a  pretty good deal. Thanks wtracing!