Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 315998 times)

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #1080 on: April 30, 2008, 11:29:05 AM »
I looked over the Tulane website and didn't find this info, though it may be in this thread somewhere...

What's the forced curve at Tulane?

And I think someone here said rankings are made public to all students - is that right? Is there a list I can see with rank percentages by grade point? Like this UH pdf illustrates?

Since Tulane is the greatest and NOLA is awesome, they only give A's and for really bad students A-, no but the real data is here

Top 10%: 3.593 
Top 25%: 3.422 
Top 33%: 3.328 
Top 50%: 3.163 
Top 75%: 2.872 

I actually looked this up this morning, because I was figuring out what I would need to do to keep my scholly

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 30, 2008, 11:46:49 AM »
I found it on nalp.org, the greatest website ever

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: April 30, 2008, 03:50:18 PM »
I looked over the Tulane website and didn't find this info, though it may be in this thread somewhere...

What's the forced curve at Tulane?

And I think someone here said rankings are made public to all students - is that right? Is there a list I can see with rank percentages by grade point? Like this UH pdf illustrates?

Since Tulane is the greatest and NOLA is awesome, they only give A's and for really bad students A-, no but the real data is here

Top 10%: 3.593 
Top 25%: 3.422 
Top 33%: 3.328 
Top 50%: 3.163 
Top 75%: 2.872 

I actually looked this up this morning, because I was figuring out what I would need to do to keep my scholly

The curve was actually slightly tighter last semester.  I don't think it is permanent but 50% was closer to 3.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: April 30, 2008, 04:17:57 PM »
Is that good or bad?
I swear I'm fairly bright but curve talk confuses me.

I suspect I'm waitlisted at SMU. Letters went out today and I've received no phone call. :-\
Don't know if I should send a deposit to UH tomorrow.

Not bad as long as it is corrected this semester (and they have said it will be).  If it isn't corrected it would be bad and force about ~5% more of the class below 3.0.

It only matters in the case of scholarships, but 5% is pretty significant.

Edit: The error came about based on two new teachers not using the Tulane curve (and one particularly grumpy professor being extra grumpy).  I'll make sure to post the curve up when it comes out this semester.

ugawarrent

• View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: April 30, 2008, 05:21:29 PM »
Ooh, do tell names, Botbot!
Speaking of new professors, did you have Professor Townsend-Gard any of your classes? Thoughts (or thougths from people who did)?

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: April 30, 2008, 05:29:03 PM »
Not sure anyone on here really cares, but since I've had both on and off-board discussions with several of you regarding the pros/cons of Tulane I just wanted to say thank you for everything, but I will not be heading to NOLA in the fall... because I got accepted to SMU!!!

Best of luck to everyone!
 8)

(See- a sub-160 LSAT isn't a death sentence... I'm doing alright).

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: April 30, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »
Ooh, do tell names, Botbot!
Speaking of new professors, did you have Professor Townsend-Gard any of your classes? Thoughts (or thougths from people who did)?

Hear more good things than bad about TG and I'll be in a class with her next semester.

Gordley and Dickerson reportedly did funky things to the curve last semester - on top of Friedman's usual under curve corrections.  Gordley's is more confirmed than the other two - but I haven't heard anything official as to what caused the curve dip - only that it should be fixed this semester.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: April 30, 2008, 05:31:30 PM »
Not sure anyone on here really cares, but since I've had both on and off-board discussions with several of you regarding the pros/cons of Tulane I just wanted to say thank you for everything, but I will not be heading to NOLA in the fall... because I got accepted to SMU!!!

Tough luck and congrats.

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1088 on: April 30, 2008, 07:18:30 PM »
Chicago-Kent finally accepted. Not that it matters - I'm not even thinking about there anymore, unless they throw a full-ride my way or something (which is doubtful). Even then it wouldn't be for sure. Just odd that I had to wait this long. The only thing going for me is that I mentioned my Tulane scholly after they e-mailed me to get some additional info.
Tulane c/o 2011

nolabound

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: May 01, 2008, 06:17:46 AM »
Hey everybody...

I got waitlisted today at SMU so i'll be sending in my deposit tomorrow to Tulane.  I'm ready for some Tulane greatness.