Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 318603 times)

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #570 on: March 25, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
Did we ever decide about when/where we were meeting up?

Oh and I'm glad I posted about the attire. I definately would have been the only ass that showed up with a tie only. Flip flops sounded nice yesterday but I'll probably end up rocking boat shoes due to this relatively cold weather.

You are going to fit in like a champ.  :)

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #571 on: March 25, 2008, 01:52:04 PM »
I also plan to rock the Sperry's they've had a long winter hibernation and are ready for warm weather!

Botbot -- I am bringing my girlfriend/roommate with me to New Orleans, so I am not sure what they want to do/have planned but I am interested in at least knowing where a meetup will occur in the event I/we could make it. So feel free to PM me those details later if you'd like.
Tulane Class of 2011

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 25, 2008, 01:57:08 PM »
As for me, SMU was going to be cheaper and I want to get back to Dallas, but I couldn't say no to Tulane. For the record, I didn't like my SMU visit or the vibe I received from every one of their representatives.

This is my biggest hesitation with SMU so far. I haven't received one single communication from them since my "App Complete" email back in January. Not a word, not a peep, not a totebag, not a muffaletta postcard. Would it kill them to act a little welcoming/excited that I'm considering their fine institution??

Can you JAG in Dallas?

There used to be an AFJAG base in Ft. Worth, but its mostly closed down down.  My current firm opportunities are starting to shift my job mentality - but I guess we will see how it goes next year.

Botbot -- I am bringing my girlfriend/roommate with me to New Orleans, so I am not sure what they want to do/have planned but I am interested in at least knowing where a meetup will occur in the event I/we could make it. So feel free to PM me those details later if you'd like.

I'll keep you updated on the happenings.

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 25, 2008, 01:59:13 PM »
As for me, SMU was going to be cheaper and I want to get back to Dallas, but I couldn't say no to Tulane. For the record, I didn't like my SMU visit or the vibe I received from every one of their representatives.

Not a word, not a peep, not a totebag, not a muffaletta postcard. Would it kill them to act a little welcoming/excited that I'm considering their fine institution??

This made me laugh... But I agree. Shortly after applying, I emailed them to see if I could set up a tour... never got a response.  :(

OlderandWiser

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's not creepy, it's kittens
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 25, 2008, 02:00:32 PM »
Sorry guys, I'm a bit under the weather and didn't check the boards last night.

Ok so the upcoming ASW...

hbb     
jcheste8    
hurley325    
OlderandWiser

have messaged me about doing something - it looks like the best time would be Thursday or Friday midday/eve - and it looks like Friday midday would be the best of those.  What time do you guys finish ASW stuff?   I'm thinking Cooter Brown's if we do it early or Superior Grill if we do it later.What do you guys think? 

they posted a schedule on the admitted students page that says there is a FinAid session or an optional tour of the library and clinics at 1:50.  then at 2:30 an optional bus tour of university neighborhoods OR another tour of the library/clinics OR an information fair, whatever that is.  So it sounds like even with all the optional stuff everyone should be done by mid-late afternoon.  I think someone else wondered about the class...it doesn't say which one, but its at 10:00. 
University of Washington 2011

gt1693

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 25, 2008, 03:57:46 PM »
Just got in this afternoon by email!  So now I've got the decision down to Tulane and Villanova - should I go with Tulane and fly down this weekend to check it out?

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #576 on: March 25, 2008, 05:08:28 PM »
Is anyone going to the April 4th ASW? I'm booked for it but having 2nd thoughts about attending...

Martindale says there are 532 Tulane grads in the state of Texas. This doesn't seem like much to me (Houston has over 5,000; Baylor- 3,776)... Shouldn't I choose a school with a large alumni base in the state in which I plan to practice?

???

I'll also be at the 4/4 ASW. The worst that can happen is you visit Tulane, don't like it, get your travel reimbursed, and end up at a Texas school. The best is that you fall in love with Tulane/NOLA and decide to come. I think it's a win/win.

As far as Texas placement, I would concentrate on gathering statistics for specific firms/cities in which you would like to work, instead of relying on overall Texas numbers. The lesser markets in Texas would obviously be overwhelmingly populated by graduates from Texas schools, but I would think the numbers in Dallas/Houston and the like would have a much more favorable ratio for Tulane. Look at specific firms: do they do OCI at Tulane? Where did their partners go to school? Where did the newest hired associates come from? What kind of qualifications did they have (Law Review, cum laude, etc.)? I've been doing the same thing for firms in various Florida cities (although I wouldn't mind ending up in Texas, or a lot of other markets, as a matter of fact).

As far as the boat shoes are concerned, I will surely be rocking them come 4/4.
Tulane c/o 2011

jespinol

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #577 on: March 25, 2008, 05:22:56 PM »
sink- what have you found out about FL placement??

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #578 on: March 25, 2008, 05:45:28 PM »

It pretty much confirms my suspicions: if I want to get a good firm job in Florida coming out of Tulane, I'd have to do my own legwork, but it's far from impossible. According to NALP, only 5 Florida firms do OCI at Tulane (2 from Miami, 2 from Tampa, 1 in Boca), but there's enough of a presence of Tulane grads in Florida to imply that using my "Florida connections," I'd be able to land a pretty good job in Florida if I do well. A Martindale search finds 342 Tulane grads practicing in Florida. The distribution is thus:

Boca Raton - 13
Ft. Lauderdale - 25
Jacksonville - 13
Miami - 81
Orlando - 17
St. Petersburg - 6
Tallahassee - 9
Tampa - 43
West Palm Beach - 20
Winter Park - 3

That's all the markets I'd actually consider working in, at least. Now, a majority of those listings are obviously not going to be "BIGLAW" (and almost all will not have starting associate pay of over $100K - hardly any firms outside of South Florida will - but in Florida your dollar will go significantly farther than in most states, given the low COL and lack of a state income tax), and you also have to consider that while there are very well paying jobs in South Florida, the markets in West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale and Boca (and to a lesser extent, Miami) are relatively small, and the best firms may only take on one or two new associates in a given year, if any.

My conclusion? It looks do-able to land a Florida job coming out of Tulane, given good grades. I'd expect my connection to the state (I've lived all over the state - S. Fla, Orlando, Jax - and still have family in many areas) would help me, as well. I welcome the contributions of botbot or anyone else to tell me whether I'm right on or if my data collecting is fatally flawed somehow, or if I'm a complete idiot.
Tulane c/o 2011

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 25, 2008, 05:59:05 PM »

I'm not sink, but most FL BIGLAW firms (even those in Miami) equate Tulane and UF rank for rank.  (there are some that prefer UF grads and some that prefer Tulane grads, but its mostly a wash).  I think ~10-15% of Tulane grads head to Florida every year.

It looks like the class merge at UF, though, is adversely impacting their 2L BIGLAW SA placement, but its too soon to tell. 

My conclusion? It looks do-able to land a Florida job coming out of Tulane, given good grades. I'd expect my connection to the state (I've lived all over the state - S. Fla, Orlando, Jax - and still have family in many areas) would help me, as well. I welcome the contributions of botbot or anyone else to tell me whether I'm right on or if my data collecting is fatally flawed somehow, or if I'm a complete idiot.

Yeah, you probably won't be getting a job through OCI - but thats not uncommon.  Only a quarter of Tulane students get job through OCI, which is a good 5-10% higher than every school ranked in the 40s (except SMU) - so most of your classmates will be getting their jobs through MMs and personal connections.