Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?  (Read 317082 times)

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #560 on: March 24, 2008, 03:33:11 PM »
I think we could all chip in on this. Even those of us who won't be there. Paypal?

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 24, 2008, 04:41:01 PM »
The weather has been somewhere between 55-65 for a while now.  Nice light jacket weather if you get cold easily (like me)..  but you can still rock the flip-flops.

jespinol

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #562 on: March 25, 2008, 11:00:19 AM »
How would one compare Tulane's placement in FL to UM or FSU? Also, how are the salaries in FL? Tulane is giving me 15k/yr so it is much cheaper than sticker at UM. I would imagine tulane would do well in FL because of the proximity but im not too sure, any stats on the % in FL? How well do the people in the sports law program do, as well as the environmental program? Also, how is the american business law program looked upon and would it only be beneficial in BIGLAW? Tulane is my #1, just looking for some more specifics.thanks.

jcheste8

• Sr. Citizen
  • Getting excited about law school!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 25, 2008, 11:06:14 AM »
Did we ever decide about when/where we were meeting up?

Oh and I'm glad I posted about the attire. I definately would have been the only ass that showed up with a tie only. Flip flops sounded nice yesterday but I'll probably end up rocking boat shoes due to this relatively cold weather.

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #564 on: March 25, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »
Did we ever decide about when/where we were meeting up?

Oh and I'm glad I posted about the attire. I definately would have been the only ass that showed up with a tie only. Flip flops sounded nice yesterday but I'll probably end up rocking boat shoes due to this relatively cold weather.

Sperry's FTW
Tulane c/o 2011

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 25, 2008, 12:18:25 PM »
Is anyone going to the April 4th ASW? I'm booked for it but having 2nd thoughts about attending...

Martindale says there are 532 Tulane grads in the state of Texas. This doesn't seem like much to me (Houston has over 5,000; Baylor- 3,776)... Shouldn't I choose a school with a large alumni base in the state in which I plan to practice?

???

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 25, 2008, 12:40:43 PM »
waiting on SMU too... (4,888 alumni)

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #567 on: March 25, 2008, 12:47:22 PM »
I'm slightly interested in working in Texas too and I don't know a whole lot about the alumni base there, but you might want to consider what types of jobs you're looking for and what kinds of jobs SMU/Baylor/Tulane grads are taking in Texas.

My local state school has a mass number of alumni too, but a majority of them are working in small town solo firms. The top 10% + Law review is what it takes for an OCI Interview for biglaw. The major local city's big law base includes local grads, but a lot of them went out of state to better schools...so this is something to consider, quality of job vs. quantity of attorneys in state.
Tulane Class of 2011

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 25, 2008, 01:02:51 PM »
Good point... I don't necessarily 'care' about biglaw... mid-sized is fine with me. And, I think for mid-sized placement in Dallas, SMU is probably my best bet, but alas, I have not heard from them yet (bites nails).

Does anyone know the Texas bar passage rate for 1st time test takers out of Tulane?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 25, 2008, 01:37:10 PM »
Sorry guys, I'm a bit under the weather and didn't check the boards last night.

Ok so the upcoming ASW...

hbb     
jcheste8    
hurley325    
OlderandWiser

have messaged me about doing something - it looks like the best time would be Thursday or Friday midday/eve - and it looks like Friday midday would be the best of those.  What time do you guys finish ASW stuff?  I'm thinking Cooter Brown's if we do it early or Superior Grill if we do it later.What do you guys think? 

Anyone else that wants to meet up PM me.

Good point... I don't necessarily 'care' about biglaw... mid-sized is fine with me. And, I think for mid-sized placement in Dallas, SMU is probably my best bet, but alas, I have not heard from them yet (bites nails).

Does anyone know the Texas bar passage rate for 1st time test takers out of Tulane?

Ok.  Texas placement.

Tulane places as well as UH in Houston BIGLAW.  There are fewer Houston small firms that interview at Tulane, but this is a purely a convenience issue.  Your Tulane degree/GPA will get the same respect from these firms, you just have to do the legwork.

Dallas is almost identical (replacing UH with SMU) - except Haynes and Boone will go ~5% deeper into SMUs class. 

Midlaw is virtually nonexistent in both Dallas and Houston.  There are some medium sized firms but most pay BIGMARK and have similar hiring requirements.

Tulane's Texas Bar passage is similar to SMU and UH (I think low-mid 90%s, but I'm just going on memory)

If you know you want to work in Houston and get UH (especially if its cheaper than Tulane), UH is probably the school for you.
If you know you want to work in Dallas and get SMU (especially if its cheaper than Tulane), SMU is probably the school for you.

As for me, SMU was going to be cheaper and I want to get back to Dallas, but I couldn't say no to Tulane.  For the record, I didn't like my SMU visit or the vibe I received from every one of their representatives.