Law School Discussion

The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?

Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2620 on: January 09, 2010, 10:54:12 PM »
Couch and Sherman both do random calling.  They're not mean about it and they'll let you wriggle off the hook if you need to. 

Dombalagian is one professor who just goes down the row.  So is Vernon Palmer.

« Reply #2621 on: March 09, 2010, 09:44:04 PM »
I'm hoping a current Tulane student can help me.  I got accepted to Tulane and plan to pursue a public-interest career.  I don't plan to stay in new orleans after I graduate, but I hope to gain experience in the local community (i.e. orleans public defender's office) while I am a student.  Based on Tulane's reputation, what are my job prospects in attaining a job at a public defender's office or other public interest org. outside of Louisiana, in for example Seattle?  Also, since Louisiana practices Civil Law, will my skills be transferrable or will it lower my chances in securing employment in a different state (common law)?  

I know Tulane has good national reputation across the states, but does this only apply for BigLaw/private firms?  Does this reputation carry over for those pursuing public-interest careers?  

A lot of questions, but it will help me in making my decision on where to attend.  Thanks for the help!

Side note:  I'm choosing between tulane, maryland, and northeastern.  The latter two are  strong in public interest, but I believe they are more regional. 

« Reply #2622 on: March 24, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'll be headed to Tulane in August. Anyone have any input on graduate housing options?
I'm excited, but also pretty well freaked out by the idea of law school.

« Reply #2623 on: March 31, 2010, 11:51:21 PM »
As you should be!

« Reply #2624 on: May 03, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »
I'm hoping a current Tulane student can help me.  I got accepted to Tulane and plan to pursue a public-interest career.  I don't plan to stay in new orleans after I graduate, but I hope to gain experience in the local community (i.e. orleans public defender's office) while I am a student.  Based on Tulane's reputation, what are my job prospects in attaining a job at a public defender's office or other public interest org. outside of Louisiana, in for example Seattle?  Also, since Louisiana practices Civil Law, will my skills be transferrable or will it lower my chances in securing employment in a different state (common law)?  

I know Tulane has good national reputation across the states, but does this only apply for BigLaw/private firms?  Does this reputation carry over for those pursuing public-interest careers?  

A lot of questions, but it will help me in making my decision on where to attend.  Thanks for the help!

Side note:  I'm choosing between tulane, maryland, and northeastern.  The latter two are  strong in public interest, but I believe they are more regional. 

You can take Common law track so don't worry about that. No idea how Tulane places in the Northwest. I think Maryland and Northeastern are more regional. I imagine being able to talk about how you've volunteered and helped rebuild NOLA will look better to public interest folks than having attended Maryland or Northeastern and done nothing in particular.

« Reply #2625 on: June 03, 2010, 01:05:53 PM »
sad to see this thread wind down.

« Reply #2626 on: August 23, 2010, 07:35:06 AM »
Indeed.

« Reply #2627 on: September 20, 2010, 12:29:51 PM »
I am applying to Tulane, and hopefully will be a member of the Fall 2011 incoming class.  From being a Tulane Law Student, how do you feel about Sports Law at Tulane?  I am greatly interested in sports law, and it is a driving factor for Tulane being high on my list of schools I am applying to.

bigs5068

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2628 on: September 20, 2010, 01:24:30 PM »
In all honesty not to shoot you down or anything, but in regards to Sports Law the school you attend won't matter that much. It is very much about if you played sports and who you know. I am sure there are exceptions I mean David Stern never played hoops and he is the commissioner now, but if you want to be an agent or involved with a pro sports team or college they will generally hire former players. Becoming a sports agent is a pretty dirty game and  I have a few friends from high school that are now in the NFL, NBA, etc and they have told me some messed up stuff. Even when I was moderately sought after recruit in high school it was messed up and I don't know it needs to be better regulated it is sickening how agents blow up kids egos at such young age although they are not supposed to. Agents get screwed over themselves and it is just a messed up industry. I am actually taking sports law right and now the guy is a sports agent he graduated from my school, which is tier 4 but he used to be the Quarterback at a pretty big time college and his old coach hooks him up with players that are going into the draft. That is how he is making it not what he learned in law school. I really don't know if he is necessarily all that intelligent, but he has connections in the league etc and he is doing pretty well for himself. If you have those connections then that will make the difference, but generally speaking no theories a school teaches you will help you get your foot in the door in that industry. 

I did not want to be all negative you can get into that industry even without connections, but it will probably be a 100x harder and I wouldn't bet on it happening. However, anything worth doing is hard and if it is the path you go down I hope it works out. However, really do NOT base your decision on what school you go to based on some small program especially one as difficult and dirty as Sports Law. Don't choose Tulane over an Ivy League or something based on Tulane having a better sports law program it probably will not make much difference in getting a sports law job one way or the other. Also don't turn huge scholarship money at an equally reputable school because they have a sports law program and the other does not.

« Reply #2629 on: September 20, 2010, 02:17:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply, cleared some things up.