Law School Discussion

The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?

botbot

• View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2470 on: April 14, 2009, 09:26:35 PM »
"Last year there were more than a few 25-50% grads with market."

I know you're the man on here, but where did that number come from? 

My impression, gathered from some people in the administration and the people I knew in the class, was that it wasn't anything near that. Frankly 25-50% is a pretty broad estimate.  50% at market private salaries is comparable or better than schools like UT or Vanderbilt. 

I spoke with a few 3Ls (last year) who said they were near median that grabbed market (nola, houston, bama).  I don't think they lied to me about their grades.  I am not saying that everyone at the median got market, but some did.

I kept track of the final placement sheet up to the beginning of summer.  At 60% reporting (about where I quit), ~24% (not 24% of 60%, 24% of 100%) of the class had market (based on firms not salary numbers).  At least 24% of the class had market last year - and I would wager it crept up into the 30s.

And again, everyone is hurting right now.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: April 14, 2009, 09:27:55 PM »
To elaborate on this year:  I don't know of one 2L with a market summer gig not in the top 25% of the class.

« Reply #2472 on: April 14, 2009, 11:41:14 PM »
It's been wonderful trying to find a job as a 1L, too.

I know one 1L with a 4.0 who couldn't find a paying gig.

« Reply #2473 on: April 15, 2009, 04:54:08 AM »
Hmm, fair enough.  All I can say is that doesn't really jive with what I observed and had heard about last year, but it looks like you put a little more time into research.  If we're counting 'market' firms in Alabama and such, I can see the number going up to around a quarter, but in terms of market jobs in actual large cities and NOLA, everything I'd seen and the comments of a professor and at least one employee of our CSO put it at less than 10%. 

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: April 15, 2009, 09:10:51 AM »
Hmm, fair enough.  All I can say is that doesn't really jive with what I observed and had heard about last year, but it looks like you put a little more time into research.  If we're counting 'market' firms in Alabama and such, I can see the number going up to around a quarter, but in terms of market jobs in actual large cities and NOLA, everything I'd seen and the comments of a professor and at least one employee of our CSO put it at less than 10%. 

Bama market = NOLA Market...

The CDO has the lists up right now, go check them out.  You'll be surprised.

« Reply #2475 on: April 15, 2009, 06:18:16 PM »
Talisker, I am just curious as to what you think accounts for the decline in prominence? It doesn't seem as if the numbers are determinative, because if anything LSAT medians and GPA medians have increased. Is it the ascendance of other schools? Has Tulane lost quality professors and have those losses crippled its prestige? And has Tulane declined as much as you seem to suggest? For what it is worth, US NEWS reputation scores are still pretty high. Now I think that the notion of top 25% being eligible for market Biglaw is pretty farfetched, but less than 10%? Seriously, is it that bad? And does Tulane distort its' numbers that greatly? I am still attending regardless, but that would be dissapointing.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: April 15, 2009, 07:31:12 PM »
Now I think that the notion of top 25% being eligible for market Biglaw is pretty farfetched

No one said anything about biglaw.  More than 25% of our graduates had market last year.  Look at the markets the school feeds...

« Reply #2477 on: April 15, 2009, 07:46:45 PM »
sorry Botbot, my bad. market is what I meant. How about my other questions? You agree about Tulane's decline, etc?

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: April 15, 2009, 08:06:10 PM »
sorry Botbot, my bad. market is what I meant. How about my other questions? You agree about Tulane's decline, etc?

No.  Faculty is more prestigious than it was five years ago.  Numbers have increased.  NOLA isn't hurting like the rest of the US.  I see no reason to say that Tulane is in decline.

The SO is on LR and had flybacks at every major Dallas firm (and has a great summer job).  I'm below median and have a great summer job.  Tulane has some prestige pull in Dallas...

« Reply #2479 on: April 15, 2009, 09:14:44 PM »
What's the difference between BigLaw and Market?

I've always heard the two terms used somewhat interchangeably.