Law School Discussion

The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?

botbot

• View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2410 on: February 12, 2009, 10:52:22 PM »
I didn't say there weren't benefits.  Notes/comments/subncites/pagereads all improve the lrw skills.  Moot court helps with public speaking.  etc.

But...what good are those lawyering skills without a lawyering job?

Secondary journals carry relatively little prestige with employers.  You will do better taking the time that you will spend substance checking some a-hole lazy professor's cites for publication in a 100 subscription journal writing targeted cover letters (at carefully researched firms).

Don't enter these extracurriculars thinking the time invested will be returned in job placement.

(Secondary journals obviously aren't a scam for people who enjoy the work, no more than any other hobby is a scam)

« Reply #2411 on: February 13, 2009, 07:13:06 AM »
Million dollar question: Even if one happens to write-on to LR or moot court despite their grades, does that give him/her any kind of bump in the job search? Or will firms automatically see through someone who backdoor'd their way onto a more prestigious resume line?

Also, what are the more competitive journals? I know Maritime is one of them.

Also, I had no clue there were multiple varieties of moot court. Elaborate, please.

I might as well be paying for all of this information. Y'all will have to settle for a beer and a handshake.

« Reply #2412 on: February 13, 2009, 08:57:25 AM »
Million dollar question: Even if one happens to write-on to LR or moot court despite their grades, does that give him/her any kind of bump in the job search? Or will firms automatically see through someone who backdoor'd their way onto a more prestigious resume line?

Also, what are the more competitive journals? I know Maritime is one of them.

Also, I had no clue there were multiple varieties of moot court. Elaborate, please.

I might as well be paying for all of this information. Y'all will have to settle for a beer and a handshake.

I think if you write on to LR, it gives you a huge boost no matter what your grades look like. Plus, employers then know that you are actually a pretty good writer. That alone speaks volumes.

Not sure what the most competitive journals are. I do know someone who was rejected from sports law journal in both the summer and fall write on sessions, so I'm inclined to think that SLJ is pretty competitive. He could just be bad at writing a case note, though.

For Moot Court, there are trial and appellate level teams. There are also inter-school and intra-school. You'll need someone who is actually on Moot Court to tell you more, though, because that's about all I know about it.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: February 13, 2009, 09:47:59 AM »
Writing on to LR gives a bump, but...

Top 15% no LR > Top 30% + LR in this cycle

« Reply #2414 on: February 15, 2009, 08:13:21 AM »
Writing on to LR gives a bump, but...

Top 15% no LR > Top 30% + LR in this cycle

Yeah, that's true, but its comparing apples to oranges. Top 15% would be on the Moot Court board anyway. (Way sweeter gig than LR. You get to put it on your resume and you don't have to do much. IMO, the best spot in the class would be top 11-15%.)

Top 30% + LR this cycle > Top 30% no LR.

rj

« Reply #2415 on: February 15, 2009, 09:44:03 AM »
Top 15% would be on the Moot Court board anyway. (Way sweeter gig than LR. You get to put it on your resume and you don't have to do much. IMO, the best spot in the class would be top 11-15%.)

You'd do Moot Court board instead of LR?

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: February 15, 2009, 11:00:50 AM »
Moot court board is resume filler.  Employers hold it in less esteem than any secondary journal.

Obviously LR is better than no LR, but the boost isn't what most expect.

Go ask the 2L LR write-ons...

« Reply #2417 on: February 15, 2009, 12:59:42 PM »
Top 15% would be on the Moot Court board anyway. (Way sweeter gig than LR. You get to put it on your resume and you don't have to do much. IMO, the best spot in the class would be top 11-15%.)

You'd do Moot Court board instead of LR?

Yup. That's the laziness in me talking. LR publishes 6 times a year. That's an outrageous amount of work.

Of course, moot court board plus secondary journal membership would be better than moot court board alone, but my point is that someone in the top 11-15% still looks very appealing to employers and you can't compare it to someone in the top 30%.

rj

« Reply #2418 on: February 15, 2009, 01:59:28 PM »
Yup. That's the laziness in me talking. LR publishes 6 times a year. That's an outrageous amount of work. 

You're the first person I know who has turned down LR.
Congrats.

« Reply #2419 on: February 15, 2009, 05:29:28 PM »

You're the first person I know who has turned down LR.
Congrats.

Thank you, although I didn't turn it down. I did complete the packet, but I secretly hoped I wouldn't write on to LR. I suspect, though, if it had been offered me I would have accepted, no matter how lazy I am.