Law School Discussion

The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?

Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2380 on: February 11, 2009, 05:48:06 AM »
Does one have to have a Loyola friend to get one of these passes, or can a Tulane student get one?

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: February 11, 2009, 08:51:29 AM »
Does one have to have a Loyola friend to get one of these passes, or can a Tulane student get one?

You can't get one as a Tulane student.  ;)

« Reply #2382 on: February 11, 2009, 12:57:31 PM »

You can't get one as a Tulane student.  ;)

I guess the trick is that you just have to enroll as a Loyola student, too.  Its probably cheaper to pay double tuition than to have to buy a Tulane parking pass.

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: February 11, 2009, 01:02:11 PM »
hahahahahahaha!!! true dat.

Maybe enroll, pay, buy a pass and drop before the full refund expires? Then repeat for another 5 semesters. A little effort intensive, but I think with the appropriate number of "deaths in the family" and "financial emergencies" it could be done.

« Reply #2384 on: February 11, 2009, 08:12:27 PM »
Appellate Brief blows goat chode

« Reply #2385 on: February 12, 2009, 09:31:55 AM »
1) Yeah, the appellate brief sucks. But at least when its over you're basically done with LRW. Hooray! (Except for the oral argument, which is a lot less painful than you think it will be.)

2) As far as where to live, I lived ON Magazine street my first year. The location was awesome. I drove down to the shuttle and took that to school every day. I always found that parking around school was more trouble than it was worth. If you give yourself enough time, the shuttle works really well. Also, it isn't a bad walk from school to the shuttle stop, so the few times the shuttle went MIA I just walked back to my car with a friend.

I currently live on in the Garden District. Its farther away from school, but I really like the neighborhood. Its close to entertainment stuff and I can easily walk to the Quarter. (That should come in handy the next couple of weeks.) I actually take the streetcar to school each day. They sell month-long passes in Loyola's bookstore for way too much money, but its convenient. I know a lot of people knock the streetcar because it isn't exactly on a regular schedule, but again if I give myself enough time to get where I'm going, its not a problem. Besides, nothing is on a regular schedule down here.

I personally would not want to live within blocks of school for a few reasons. For one, when I leave that building, I want to get far, far away. That probably sounds weird, but it goes along with the second reason I like living a few miles from school: sometimes I just want to go to a bar (or anywhere) and NOT see another law student. There tends to be a significant amount of drama in law school (see previous posts about a shoe and a party). Sometimes I just want a break from everything law school. I like the geographical distance, because it gives me some emotional distance from law school as well.

But that's just my 2 cents.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: February 12, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »
How can you live in GD and be within walking distance to the Quarter?  CBD = big.

« Reply #2387 on: February 12, 2009, 10:50:18 AM »
I'm not saying its not a long walk, but I have done it several times when a cab was not available or the streetcar wouldn't let me on because I refused to give up my daiquiri.

Its about 2 miles, I think. Its doable under the right circumstances.

Oh yeah, and I wanted you all to have a heads up about on street parking near Tulane. You can only be in the zone for 2 hours, but if you're there from 9 am-10am, go home, come back, are in the zone from 2 pm to 3 pm and the meter maid sees your car both time, she'll give you a ticket as though you were there from 9 am-3 pm and just moved your car from one spot to another. It happened to me. I tried to argue the ticket, but they weren't having any of it.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: February 12, 2009, 11:17:38 AM »
I'm not saying its not a long walk, but I have done it several times when a cab was not available or the streetcar wouldn't let me on because I refused to give up my daiquiri.

Its about 2 miles, I think. Its doable under the right circumstances.

Oh yeah, and I wanted you all to have a heads up about on street parking near Tulane. You can only be in the zone for 2 hours, but if you're there from 9 am-10am, go home, come back, are in the zone from 2 pm to 3 pm and the meter maid sees your car both time, she'll give you a ticket as though you were there from 9 am-3 pm and just moved your car from one spot to another. It happened to me. I tried to argue the ticket, but they weren't having any of it.

Sounds as though you have been unlucky or park in the wrong spots.  I park in those zones twice a day, 1.5 hours at a time.  No tickets.

« Reply #2389 on: February 12, 2009, 11:34:25 AM »
I do know that the parking thing happened to one other person, but everyone else that hears about it has pretty much the same "WTF?!" response.

Now that I think about it, I AM unlucky - I have a 40 page comment due for the environmental law journal in a week, an assignment due for the environmental law clinic the same day, a bunch of friends that are coming in for Mardi Gras (means I have to clean), AND I have an upper respiratory infection. Of all the times to get sick. Oh yeah, and in my miserable state I got called on in class yesterday.

Dang. Unlucky is right. Oh well. Such is life.  :)