Law School Discussion

The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?

rj

Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #2330 on: January 26, 2009, 05:50:56 AM »
With all respect, these are the kind of comments that read really woefully on the ATL and Guanabee thread, because it makes it appear as though you are trying to minimize the offense or minimize the ignorance revealed.

The truth is that the situation was embarassing for everyone, and it spoke well of nobody.  Law students, who have some knowledge of the law and who will be upholding ethical obligations soon, should know better or should at least pretend to know better.

Not a single one of the people named in the photos showed up on the Guanabee thread to apologize.  Why?  Instead people went on and on about defamation.  That makes the group look bad, IMHO.

« Reply #2331 on: January 26, 2009, 06:41:30 AM »
With all respect, these are the kind of comments that read really woefully on the ATL and Guanabee thread, because it makes it appear as though you are trying to minimize the offense or minimize the ignorance revealed.

The truth is that the situation was embarassing for everyone, and it spoke well of nobody.  Law students, who have some knowledge of the law and who will be upholding ethical obligations soon, should know better or should at least pretend to know better.

Not a single one of the people named in the photos showed up on the Guanabee thread to apologize.  Why?  Instead people went on and on about defamation.  That makes the group look bad, IMHO.

If it was I being trashed on Guanabee I wouldn't show up to apologize either. Those commenters were beyond hateful - attacking the parties in question on a very personal level while hiding behind the anonymity of the internet (while steadfastly refusing to allow the TLS party-goers the same anonymity). There is an air of superior evolution in that thread which was rather ironically disproved with each additional "she's fat" comment made. The attempted exposť of a young woman's "hatred" had the unexpected effect of exposing the torchbearers' own ugly hearts.

Additionally, as you have undoubtedly surmised by my posts regarding this kerfuffle, I don't think there's any benefit to apologizing. People have elected to ascribe malice where there was but ignorance. She apologized to the TLS community and that apparently isn't enough to assuage the offended parties, so how would anyone benefit from her exposing herself even further in a more public arena?

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: January 26, 2009, 08:35:41 AM »
Tulane should have repped the girls and killed this asap.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: January 26, 2009, 10:19:37 AM »
Also, all people offended by the outfits are lame.

Also, my Mexican roommate says, "Who throws theme parties after undergrad?  I'm offended."

Also, this thread jumped the shark six months ago.

« Reply #2334 on: January 26, 2009, 10:47:13 AM »
Does Mexico produce a unique race of people?

Most Mexicans are also Hispanic.

Is Mexican heritage deserving of some higher standard of sensitivity than, say, Canadian?

Sometimes, yes.

These are the wrong questions to be asking. We can't think about these things in the absolutes that you want.

« Reply #2335 on: January 26, 2009, 05:01:36 PM »
Do any of the 2L's know the usual class ranking such as GPA for top half, top third, top 25, top 10?  I looked at NALP's ranking but that was based on 2007 graduating class.

« Reply #2336 on: January 26, 2009, 05:14:03 PM »
As a person that actually attended the party, I have to say:

THERE HAS BEEN SOME MAJOR OVERREACTING GOING ON

There was absolutely no malice or hatred involved. Plenty of people with very diverse backgrounds attended, without incident.

Also, it has to be said: if anyone is actually offended by this - and I mean genuinely offended enough to forward the pictures and names to a blog, knowing fully the consequences of doing so - they have some issues regarding sensitivity. Maybe I'm being overly harsh?

« Reply #2337 on: January 26, 2009, 05:23:38 PM »
As a person that actually attended the party...

Before the rest of your post is acknowledged, I have to know...

Were you the clown in the triple popped collars?

« Reply #2338 on: January 26, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
As a person that actually attended the party...

Before the rest of your post is acknowledged, I have to know...

Were you the clown in the triple popped collars?

No. I actually didn't dress up at all.

« Reply #2339 on: January 26, 2009, 05:56:54 PM »
There was absolutely no malice or hatred involved. Plenty of people with very diverse backgrounds attended, without incident.

So...this is the definition of racist?

Sorry man, although I'm inclined to agree with you about the overreaction, whether or not this was racist seems to be a fairly simple issue. It's not the end of the world, most people are racist.

I'm open to any reasonable counterarguments, though.